Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
hamish

Re: Spa Cycles (Harrogate)

Postby hamish » 9 Mar 2017, 12:07am

I had a Spa Nidd that developed a problem out of warranty.

I emailed Spa and they were great.

I now have a replacement.

Excellent service.

Very happy.

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 19 Mar 2017, 8:11pm

My warranty replaced Nidd developed the exact same nose piece failure as the last one last week.
The first Nidd was a year old when it cracked and it's replacement was 2 years old.
Emailed Spa on Thursday night with a photo and description of the fault. No reply Friday. No reply Saturday.
Given this (I've little patience) and the chance that the saddles design fault has probably not been rectified and therefore likely to break again, I have just fitted a shiny new Brooks B17.
In spite of previous posts recommending the Nidd, I wouldn't recommend it again. I'm not the only owner who's Nidd cracked.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

SimonCelsa

Postby SimonCelsa » 21 Mar 2017, 11:06am

Spa Leather saddles.......tough one that.

I have one myself, the rather wider Spa Esk. It's been on one of my bikes almost 3 years now & covered about 7000 miles. I would love it to last another 20 years & gradually conform to my shape.... culminating in a luxuriant plinth into the afterlife.

However, being realistic, it will probably break soon. When it does I will be disappointed but are we possibly expecting a little too much from these saddles. I recall mine costing a few quid short of £40 so really I've had a good shot with it. It is still rock hard and I do not think it will ever become particularly pliable. If I'd bought a pair of quality leather hiking boots and got similar mileage out of them then I would have no reason to complain - they are a consumable item at the end of the day. So why do we expect so much from our saddles??

I am in no way connected to SPA or the retail industry for that matter but it was my thought train for the cold & snowy ride this morning. I think for the money we pay the SPA offerings are still pretty good value for money & give decent rider comfort & durability. If mine were to give up the ghost tomorrow should I expect a refund / replacement? I really don't know.....if I'd paid £250 then maybe, but, as with the mountain boot analogy, plenty of people pay more than this for their designer boots / trainers & do not see (or expect) anywhere near as much durability.

Esk.jpg

Anyhow Vantage, best of luck with the Brooks, mine sagged alarmingly after a particularly wet day ride but is still going strong some 6 years later. Kiss of Death - both will doubtless break tomorrow!

All the best, Simon (I don't always get a kick out of photographing saddles - sad really!)

trilathon

Postby trilathon » 23 Mar 2017, 5:50pm

I've used this shop for over 20 years, starting when the Rough Stuff Fellowship obtained a handy discount with them when I was member in the mid 90's. I assumed this was ''Yorkshire customer service '' a bit brisk and to the point, but never had a problem with any tent, bags or 'owt else.

What travels and pleasure their products have brought me.

Return to “Cycling Goods & Services - Your Reviews”