Surly Troll

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
maxglide

Re: Surly Troll

Postby maxglide » 21 Feb 2019, 9:45am

I wouldn't shell out £1k for a beaten up demo bike, instead of buying say, a perfectly good brand-new Ridgeback Expedition for the same money.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 21 Feb 2019, 10:09am

maxglide wrote:I wouldn't shell out £1k for a beaten up demo bike, instead of buying say, a perfectly good brand-new Ridgeback Expedition for the same money.

I wouldn't say that's a direct comparison.
The Ridgeback is without doubt a good bike but the kit spec is much higher on the Surly.The Surly is also designed to take a bigger section tyre and has more brazeons than the Ridgeback,and I wouldn't term the Troll demo bike in the link as 'beaten up', more like very lightly used.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

RRSODL

Postby RRSODL » 26 Feb 2019, 6:08pm

Tiberius wrote:You are not the first person to be shocked at Surly price increases.

In April 2015 I bought a Surly Troll framset (black/large) from 'Triton Cycles' for £404.00....this year's frameset (Triton/black/large) is £712.49.

For me it was all about the versatility of the thing, mine has been very much a 'Frankenbike' in the drivetrain/brakes department. If I had known for an absolute fact that I would (say) always run a Rohloff and never run with discs then I would have gone with a Thorn (it WAS a very close call)

It's a great bike but I wouldn't pay circa £2K for one particularly if it's versitility was an irrelevance to me.

Last September I bought the Troll's big sister, the Ogre frameset, for the same reason, versatility. I have it as a touring bike configuration ATM but I'm sure that will change.

At the time all the prices I found here in the UK were around the £750 mark but I purchased mine from Germany for £509 and free delivery.... I took the opportunity to buy other bits and pieces.

I looked into buying the full bike for about £2k but some of the components put me off, you really don't ge a good deal in my view.

I spent about £1.6k in all and I definitely have a superior set of components and wheels.

The bike is great and worth every penny.