Wonder What Will Happen To The Brand

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
wirral_cyclist

Re: Wonder What Will Happen To The Brand

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Do have any brands? They sell lots of regular brand bikes but I'm not sure they have an own brand that they might want to corrupt like you know who.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

“We are extremely pleased to partner with the JD Group. It provides the perfect platform for the Wheelbase brand to develop and strengthen our position within the cycling sector, which is full of growth and opportunity.”

Jonathan
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Just like Mike Ashley with the Evans Cycles Purchase :D
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

Known Wheelbase for years, it was always a highlight of trips to the Lakes. We’d walk along the Dales way from Bowness to Staveley, have a browse in the store & stock up on bits & bobs, then pop into Wilf’s cafe next door for a late lunch and then next door again to the brewery for a few beers before catching the train back!
I think they contributed a lot to the local cycling scene & the shop seemed to be a bit of a hub for MTB rides.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

In due course it will go to the Saudis.
John
Enigmadick

Post by Enigmadick »

The majority shareholder of the JD Group is Pentland Industries, who recently snapped up Endura. They own a tranche of sports brands so expect them to acquire more but typically only apparel rather than equipment.

Worked for them back in the 1980s and although they are family owned, they do take the long view and understand how to manage brands. So it's in good hands.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Wheelbase is my favourite bike shop but it has felt like it was in a little bit of a decline in Staveley. One of my favourite bike mechanics runs Staveley workshop I think. He has worked a few times on our bikes.

They're a little bit snooty the retail staff. Too many who look down on anyone not spending 5k or more on a bike! One guy gave me a right telling off for not wearing a helmet. I went in asking what lights they had that conformed to the German light regulations. He knew nothing about them and proceeded to tell me I needed a helmet light for commuting on the roads. He was very insistent and was not listening to me so I told him the truth that I dunt wear a helmet commuting. Hence the telling off. I had to walk away before I decked him!

Whether they'll change I don't know but it makes me think a spa tourer is a better option now than a tour de fer 10 flat bar from wheelbase.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

They own or part own quite a few brands, Berghaus, Ellesse, Speedo, Canterbury, Ted Baker, Mitre and quite a few shops like JD, Go Outoors...
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If jd own go outdoors then they're also owners of blacks group. Black's took over a lancaster based outdoor independent retailer ultimate outdoors. Within weeks of taking them over a previously high quality range of outdoor kit became complete tat only just better than the worst of mountain warehouse!

Blacks also owned millets. We bought an extended tunnel tent by wild country. Pole failed 3 days until a 2 week Scottish cycle tour. 3 days of use and it was useless! It took 6 weeks to get a refund due to their long winded process. Returned items go back to head office for manager to assess and authorise refund. I think it's to put people off and prevent the legally entitled refund.

If wheelbase has been taken over the by the owner's of go outdoors, millet and blacks then they're fooked! A real shame as wheelbase is heavily into the local cycle scene
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

It's the argument that happens whenever Mike Ashley acquires a (typically failing) brand too - but TBF this outfit do seem rather different in many/most respects. AFAIK Ashley has never won an award for sustainability, ethical trade, human rights, outstanding contributions to combating modern day slavery