Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
reohn2

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Post by reohn2 »

willem jongman wrote:There is no problem, if you can find a bike shop (but there is always Decathlon).

Who in the UK stock Vittoria Randonneur* tyres in 26(559) x 40mm @ £16 :)

*the standard 60(?)tpi ones, not Pro with the 120 tpi carcass
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 Sep 2017, 11:40am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bretonbikes

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26

Post by bretonbikes »

BTP wrote:
bretonbikes wrote:
Sweep wrote:Looks like a big increase in price this year.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ridgeback-Expe ... JKv_D_BwE#

So glad I got mine without disks and for £700 in the sale.

Other similar bikes will also be going up I assume because of currency fluctuations.

As every single bit of it is imported (and I assume probably assembled abroad) you'll have to get used to such rises I'm afraid.

As for continued feedback - the two I bought for Breton Bikes have performed faultlessly with the exception of the self-destructing mudguards (long gone). One point though is that they are sized 'big' - my wife is 5'6" normally riding a 20 1/2" classic tourer and the XS is really too big for her. This isn't helped by very long, flat quills (the same on all sizes) - most people will prefer something a little shorter and with more lift.

Still not tried the disc braked version mainly because I don't want the inevitable hassle and the last batch of BB Specials are doing fine...
As a matter of interest, I am thinking of returning to France to do some cycle -camping with my bike in 2018. Currently live in Australia. Is it still easy to buy 26" touring tyres and tubes in France or has everyone moved over to the 27.5 (650b)? Here in Australia 26" tyres are alot less common than they used to be.
Cheers
Tony

Don't you just hate the cycle industry sometimes - introduce something new 'new' and pump it for all its worth so people buy new product and we're all left behind... I suppose that's capitalism for you;-)

But in Europe you should be just fine - we use Schwalbe Spicer slicks on all our bikes and they are brilliant - and cheap... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Schwalbe-Spice ... B009O0CJIS
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Keith1960

Post by Keith1960 »

Just bought a 2017 model Ridgeback Expedition via CTW scheme and it is so good I have sold my other bike (Boardman CX Team) as it wasn’t being used any more.
The Expedition is a fine bike at a good price for the specs (last year’s price £850) and I cannot fault it. Hydraulic disc brakes are perfect for the use it will get with me as not planning to go to Outer Mongolia! The saving over new 2018 model went towards new Carradice panniers and a Brooks leather saddle. New model changes are cheaper cable disc brakes and supposedly higher spec rims with a different paint job and graphics plus a considerable price hike. Happy to have sourced 2017 model.
Not a speedy machine (26” wheels vs 700C) but very comfortable and stable and, most of all, enjoyable. I doubt if there is a better equipped bike for the money I paid.
Would thoroughly recommend unless you are really intent on a really far flung expedition to an unpaved third world country - but with a few tweaks it could be made better for this i’m sure.
Best part for me is the ride - steel frame absorbs a lot of road shocks and doesn’t give such a harsh or jarring ride. A1 rating from me.
Cuddly Ocelot

Post by Cuddly Ocelot »

I too have just purchased one. It is excellent for my purpose and needs. Love it to bits. Undecided on a name yet.
Our streets are littered with expensive, rotting and polluting tin cans obstructing the free passage of pedestrians, horses, cyclists and motor vehicles
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I also ride a 26 inch tourer, even if not a Ridgeback. Choice of tyres makes a big diffrence in speed and comfort. By far the fastest and most comfortable have been the Compass Rat Trap Pass tyres, but they are wide (52 real mm in my case), expensive and fragile. My long time allround favourite for touring were the Schalbe Big Apples, but the newer Almotion is clearly faster and more comfortable. It also has a bit more tread for rough and loose surfaces. In short, I think it is now my new all round touring favourite. However, nominal size is 55 (there is no 50 mm in 26 inch), and real size some 52 mm. So like the Rat Trap Pass, it may be tight in your frame. And for the winter in colder parts of your country there is the Conti Topcontact WInter II (real size is quite a bit narrower than advertised).
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Keith1960 wrote:Would thoroughly recommend unless you are really intent on a really far flung expedition to an unpaved third world country - but with a few tweaks it could be made better for this i’m sure.

Congratulations on your purchase before the price hike and ridgeback's spec tinkering.
As for making it suitable for the ever present outer mongolia trip all i can think it needs are better wheels (for sure) with probably a dynamo front hub and light, a tubus rear rack (front optional), possibly swap front chainset for square taper, and, bearing bretonbikes advice in mind, possibly new mudguards.

But no way are these criticisms of the bike or ridgeback's spec, which clearly faces stiff market and currency pressure.

Even with all those extras, still great value. And in the meantime you have still of course had the use of the original bits.

Just back from 10 days on mine in suffolk and norfolk. Never less than wonderful/comfortable. And i did some hard riding at times, 90 to 100 miles the first day massively nay insanely loaded.

I also now use it as my main shopping bike.
Sweep
Keith1960

Post by Keith1960 »

Could be a case for evolution over time and to gradually improve spec but standard is just fine for the use I will be giving it currently (having recently returned from motorcycling and wanting to get fitter). Now to source some decent breathable waterproof trousers as winter beckons!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If this was available as a frameset at say £450 it'd be a great basis for a go anywhere tourer,with a 1 degree slacker seatube angle across the range it'd be nigh on perfect.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
glasgowjim

Post by glasgowjim »

Have just read this thread and wow £850 for a tourer gulp! :shock:

I couldnt afford that still I crossed Sweden with an old £99 alu frame built up from bits and pieces lying around, trial and error . Settled on schwalbe marathons simply because thats what Marc Beaumont used. Used V brakes and the 26" wheels worked a treat even had an old suspension fork on it. Read some of bretonbikes reviews before I started on building the bike up to what I wanted and he made so much sense confirmed a lot of what I thought and opened my eyes to some things I didnt really consider before. Heavily laden el cheapo ALDI rear panniers that lasted the 3 week trip before dying :D

The bike performed beautifully evreything was bombproof and worked well.

Unless you are going well off piste then really most things will do unless you are clocking up really large tours or operating commercially then of course the paradigm changes.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

glasgowjim wrote:Have just read this thread and wow £850 for a tourer gulp! :shock:

I couldnt afford that still I crossed Sweden with an old £99 alu frame built up from bits and pieces lying around, trial and error . Settled on schwalbe marathons simply because thats what Marc Beaumont used. Used V brakes and the 26" wheels worked a treat even had an old suspension fork on it. Read some of bretonbikes reviews before I started on building the bike up to what I wanted and he made so much sense confirmed a lot of what I thought and opened my eyes to some things I didnt really consider before. Heavily laden el cheapo ALDI rear panniers that lasted the 3 week trip before dying :D

The bike performed beautifully evreything was bombproof and worked well.

Unless you are going well off piste then really most things will do unless you are clocking up really large tours or operating commercially then of course the paradigm changes.

And that is what touring is all about;-) Good for you. Right now you can buy old mountainbikes for a few quid and some - especially the older ones with less stretched out position, are essentially expedition touring frames. An old CroMo steel frame from someone like Specialized, Muddy Fox and the like from the early 90's will do a great job...
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Have no connection with the seller and can't vouch for the bike, though I can say that I wouldn't bother too much about the scratches - like many modern bikes the paintwork is not as tough as older mass produced bikes - just touch it up.

Has two watchers at the mo but there is a "buy it now" option.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bargain-Ridg ... 3641.l6368

Curious that station meets seem to be preferred.

And that the spec is described as the same as the latest model - it isn't - as discussed above this is rim brakes and the newer one is disc. Like Bretonbikes I prefer the rim version.

And the colour.
Sweep