Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6702
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby Sweep » 28 Jun 2017, 6:26am

Just reread your excellent review breton.

Would advise anyone thinking of buying a tourer to read it, even if they aren't considering buying this bike, as it outlines what's important and not for anyone seeking freedom from marketing hype.

Just one quibble. You say at one point in relation to the Alivio chainset:

》Incidentally, as the cost of three spare chainrings (when you can get them) is more than that of the chainset the fact that the chainrings are replaceable is immaterial.

Surely not? If the middle ring wears, for instance, it still means you can replace a single ring rather than binning all 3?

I have a small stock of Alivio 8 speed chainsets which I use as ring donors for my 8 speed hybrid/tourer.

For I agree with you about the pricing madness of individual shimano chainrings.
Sweep

bretonbikes
Posts: 659
Joined: 3 Dec 2008, 12:35pm
Contact:

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby bretonbikes » 12 Jul 2017, 9:37am

Sweep wrote:Just reread your excellent review breton.

Would advise anyone thinking of buying a tourer to read it, even if they aren't considering buying this bike, as it outlines what's important and not for anyone seeking freedom from marketing hype.

Just one quibble. You say at one point in relation to the Alivio chainset:

》Incidentally, as the cost of three spare chainrings (when you can get them) is more than that of the chainset the fact that the chainrings are replaceable is immaterial.

Surely not? If the middle ring wears, for instance, it still means you can replace a single ring rather than binning all 3?

I have a small stock of Alivio 8 speed chainsets which I use as ring donors for my 8 speed hybrid/tourer.

For I agree with you about the pricing madness of individual shimano chainrings.


Re chainrings - yes you are right to a certain extent - our hire bikes tend to eat middle chainrings because many people use only them and rely on a wide spread at the back. So yes you can get away with just a middle ring of course and in that case it becomes economic, but you'll probably need an inner changed for every two middle, and running worn rings with unworn rings and then mixing with old/new sprockets and chains all gets a bit clanky and speeds wear for the newer components;-) For our hire bikes I generally change the chain twice before needing to change cassettes and chainrings.
35 years of cycletouring, 30 years of running cycling holidays, 5 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6702
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby Sweep » 17 Jul 2017, 7:08pm

Any more feedback from folks upthread who went for one? Or even its successor?

Just ridden mine 165 miles in a 24 hour period fully loaded from south london to north of great yarmouth.

Then onwards around norfolk.

All solid as a rock - even with the standard rack, and believe me I had an absolute ton of stuff on it. I do not pack light.

Performed perfectly, which is more than you can say for me who very stupidly took it up a short escalator at liverpool street on my return.

Do NOT EVER try to do this with a fully rear loaded touring bike. Must have been lulled into misguidedvconfidence by the way the bike handled when I was riding it. In short, flawless.

The only issue is that the bike is now well scratched on forks and rear triangle by bike locks. But that's modern bike painting for you - my old Ridbebacks have amazing paintjobs. Oh hum.
Sweep

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6702
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby Sweep » 22 Sep 2017, 1:42pm

Looks like a big increase in price this year.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ridgeback-Expe ... JKv_D_BwE#

So glad I got mine without disks and for £700 in the sale.

Other similar bikes will also be going up I assume because of currency fluctuations.
Sweep

bretonbikes
Posts: 659
Joined: 3 Dec 2008, 12:35pm
Contact:

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby bretonbikes » 22 Sep 2017, 2:43pm

Sweep wrote:Looks like a big increase in price this year.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ridgeback-Expe ... JKv_D_BwE#

So glad I got mine without disks and for £700 in the sale.

Other similar bikes will also be going up I assume because of currency fluctuations.


As every single bit of it is imported (and I assume probably assembled abroad) you'll have to get used to such rises I'm afraid.

As for continued feedback - the two I bought for Breton Bikes have performed faultlessly with the exception of the self-destructing mudguards (long gone). One point though is that they are sized 'big' - my wife is 5'6" normally riding a 20 1/2" classic tourer and the XS is really too big for her. This isn't helped by very long, flat quills (the same on all sizes) - most people will prefer something a little shorter and with more lift.

Still not tried the disc braked version mainly because I don't want the inevitable hassle and the last batch of BB Specials are doing fine...
35 years of cycletouring, 30 years of running cycling holidays, 5 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6702
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby Sweep » 22 Sep 2017, 6:36pm

My mudguards are still going breton.

Why do you think they are so bad/what's the design fault?

I do seem to get a bit of interference with my panniers sometimes. Not sure what that's about - haven't investigated enough.
Sweep

bretonbikes
Posts: 659
Joined: 3 Dec 2008, 12:35pm
Contact:

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby bretonbikes » 22 Sep 2017, 7:09pm

Sweep wrote:My mudguards are still going breton.

Why do you think they are so bad/what's the design fault?

I do seem to get a bit of interference with my panniers sometimes. Not sure what that's about - haven't investigated enough.


You need to be careful of the plastic clips which are designed to break under any stress (now a legal requirement). It's not a criticism of the Ridgeback - just the concept itself. Our customers always seem to break the rear ones (which of course have nothing to do with safety) and each time it's £20 for a new set of guards as you can't buy the clips separately. The one's on the Ridgeback are fragile at both ends which seems to be overkill to me...
35 years of cycletouring, 30 years of running cycling holidays, 5 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...

willem jongman
Posts: 2076
Joined: 7 Jan 2008, 4:16pm

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby willem jongman » 23 Sep 2017, 9:47am

Gilles Berthoud stainless steel mudguards are far more robust, and don't cost an arm and a leg. They are hard to fit, unfortunately.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6702
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby Sweep » 23 Sep 2017, 10:19am

Do they have a quick release on the front willem?

As it seems like a good idea.

I was on a ride a while ago with someone who had some very cool looking metal guards.

But they had no release.
Sweep

willem jongman
Posts: 2076
Joined: 7 Jan 2008, 4:16pm

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby willem jongman » 23 Sep 2017, 10:27am

No release at the front. My guess is that in reality the beautifully secure mounting and stable construction are safer than the wobbly plastic stuff and the secuclips that come off unexpectedly. Additionmal advantages are that the stays are on the outside, so there is no interference with wider tyres with some tread at the edge of the tyre (as you get with the SKS mudguards). Also the wide ones are beautifully wide, and there are also long versions for extra coverage (get those).

bretonbikes
Posts: 659
Joined: 3 Dec 2008, 12:35pm
Contact:

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby bretonbikes » 23 Sep 2017, 10:42am

willem jongman wrote:No release at the front. My guess is that in reality the beautifully secure mounting and stable construction are safer than the wobbly plastic stuff and the secuclips that come off unexpectedly. Additionmal advantages are that the stays are on the outside, so there is no interference with wider tyres with some tread at the edge of the tyre (as you get with the SKS mudguards). Also the wide ones are beautifully wide, and there are also long versions for extra coverage (get those).


It's one of those bits of legislation governments love to implement to show concerns for safety - it costs them nothing and they are seen to be 'concerned' - that it's rubbish doesn't enter into it. I'd bet good money that far more people are injured by sidewall blow-outs (very common) that were ever hurt by front mudguards jamming - but legislating for tyre companies to actually produce safe tyres would be expensive and complex so they won't do it... All our Dawes tandems had sidewall failures developing before they were 1/4 worn - imagine that happening in the car industry - for cyclists it's just one of the daily checks...

The blindingly obvious solution would be to just use plastic 'bolts' to attach otherwise perfectly normal mudguards, and those bolts be available in packs of 10 for 50p...
35 years of cycletouring, 30 years of running cycling holidays, 5 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...

PH
Posts: 9605
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby PH » 23 Sep 2017, 11:43am

Sweep wrote:Looks like a big increase in price this year.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ridgeback-Expe ... JKv_D_BwE#

So glad I got mine without disks and for £700 in the sale.

Other similar bikes will also be going up I assume because of currency fluctuations.


Out of interest what was last years list price? It's maybe unfair to compare it to your sale price (Not that you were)
I recall even before the £s value fell there was a pretty steep hike in Shimano prices early last year. .
Even so it still looks a lot of bike for the money if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6702
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby Sweep » 23 Sep 2017, 12:12pm

I think it was about £825 or £850.

There's an apparently lightly used 2017 model on ebay at the moment for £500.
Sweep

BTP
Posts: 60
Joined: 1 Sep 2009, 1:30am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby BTP » 25 Sep 2017, 9:16am

bretonbikes wrote:
Sweep wrote:Looks like a big increase in price this year.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ridgeback-Expe ... JKv_D_BwE#

So glad I got mine without disks and for £700 in the sale.

Other similar bikes will also be going up I assume because of currency fluctuations.


As every single bit of it is imported (and I assume probably assembled abroad) you'll have to get used to such rises I'm afraid.

As for continued feedback - the two I bought for Breton Bikes have performed faultlessly with the exception of the self-destructing mudguards (long gone). One point though is that they are sized 'big' - my wife is 5'6" normally riding a 20 1/2" classic tourer and the XS is really too big for her. This isn't helped by very long, flat quills (the same on all sizes) - most people will prefer something a little shorter and with more lift.

Still not tried the disc braked version mainly because I don't want the inevitable hassle and the last batch of BB Specials are doing fine...
As a matter of interest, I am thinking of returning to France to do some cycle -camping with my bike in 2018. Currently live in Australia. Is it still easy to buy 26" touring tyres and tubes in France or has everyone moved over to the 27.5 (650b)? Here in Australia 26" tyres are alot less common than they used to be.
Cheers
Tony

willem jongman
Posts: 2076
Joined: 7 Jan 2008, 4:16pm

Re: Review of Ridgeback Expedition 26" Bad News Update

Postby willem jongman » 25 Sep 2017, 9:28am

There is no problem, if you can find a bike shop (but there is always Decathlon).