Bivvy Bag: Alpkit Hunka

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Ideal for the lightweight cycle tourer or bikepacking adventure, here's my review of the Alpkit Hunka Bivvy Bag with some useful information about bivvying.
http://www.farawayvisions.com/alpkit-hunka-bivvy-bag-review-what-bivi
Last edited by Farawayvisions on 1 Apr 2016, 8:33pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I enjoyed this. Thank you.

I've had one of these on my wish list for months. I like the red one, but as I do a bit of wild camping, I've been considering the green one. What do you think?...b

EDIT I read your review through my newsletter. There is no link here for the CTC crew...b
Farawayvisions

Re: Bivvy Bag: Alpkit Hunka

Post by Farawayvisions »

The green one is like an army colour, Alpkit call this one kelp, and it certainly resembles the seaweed. It's excellent for camouflage and blending into the background. Looks dull in photos, but more suited to stealth/ wild camping. I ordered kelp then sent it back because it was dull. I like a bit of jazziness in my life.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Thank you! I quite like the red you know, and damn my life has been getting brighter recently so I'll take your advice. Don't forget to add you link which still doesn't appear...b
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I can see the link in the original post.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Farawayvisions wrote:I can see the link in the original post.

It's there now! I'll take my rose tinted shades off. Must have been hiding the blue link [emoji849]
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

It was missing. Keep the rose tinted specs on. :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Get the extra large one
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

mercalia wrote:Get the extra large one

Really? My mat is 183cm x 51cm and I'm not that long (165cm) or that chunky. 3 season sleeping bag would be the biggest bag I'd use in it.

Genuine question and interest, unlike my usual jesting. [emoji6] Why do you think that Mercalia?

Many thanks...b
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
mercalia wrote:Get the extra large one

Really? My mat is 183cm x 51cm and I'm not that long (165cm) or that chunky. 3 season sleeping bag would be the biggest bag I'd use in it.

Genuine question and interest, unlike my usual jesting. [emoji6] Why do you think that Mercalia?

Many thanks...b

I suppose if you are small then the normal one is ok. But even with the big one putting a sleeping bag inside can be hard work unless it also is a small one. Even harder if you want to put the mat inside also. The few times I have used mine for bivvying I found the bag material it self can get very cold and could suck warmth from internals, so you dont want the internals to be too closely connected to the bag I think. ALso if the mat is inside when you turn on your side, you dont want the mat to go with you which will happen if every thing is too tight? and how thick is your mat?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I agree with Mercalia. A tight bivvy bag with mat inside can give issues. Tight and your mat could move with you as you turn in sleep. My biggest concern is if your mat is a stiff one such as a thermarest self inflating (with extra puffs of air in) it can pull your bivvy bag flat. This can result in your nice down bag getting squashed with a potential loss of performance.

Mind you I bought a rab survival zone before Alpkit came out with the first hunks. BTW no matter what the spec sheets say the hunka so is the same size or even slightly smaller than the Rab sz. I've compared both and you can.see the Rab one underneath the Alpkit one when they're.both flattened out.

My preference for bivvying with a tarp is another Rab bivvy which has a bathtub shape to it. This allows full loft of your down sleeping bag. Each to your own. I've stopped bivvying these days anyway, got into camping with my family instead.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Tangled Metal wrote
I agree with Mercalia. A tight bivvy bag with mat inside can give issues.

I agree. I spent a pretty uncomfortable night when I tried to fit my Neo Air and Minimus sleeping bag into a standard Hunka and I'm only 5'4" and fairly slim. I was reluctant to put the Neo Air directly on the flinty ground but it was far too tight for comfort with it inside and it seemed to wedge the entrance of the Hunka open giving a constant draught.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.