Halfords wired bike computer (speedo)

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
SimonCelsa

Halfords wired bike computer (speedo)

Postby SimonCelsa » 22 May 2016, 1:53pm

I've got several of these cheap Halfords wired 8 function computers across several bikes.

None of them has so far let me down.

This one has just passed the magic figure 9999.9 - it's been on that bike since 2009 so I think it has passed the durability test. I'm guessing the battery has been changed 3 times since new.

Highly recommended for a cheap, cheerful, accurate & reliable computer.

I believe the newer models are a slightly different design but hopefully they retain the same basic reliability.

10K.jpg

All the best, Simon (& no, I haven't set the wheel circumference to 10,000,000,000 mm !!)

BobSweet

Re: Halfords wired bike computer (speedo)

Postby BobSweet » 18 Nov 2016, 5:34pm

I've bought a "Halfords Essentials 5 Function Cycle Computer" doesn't do average speed, but all I really wanted was a mile count and it seems to be doing fine.

meic

Postby meic » 18 Nov 2016, 5:52pm

I fitted these to all our family bikes back in 2005, three of the 12f version and one of the 8f version.

My two are working fine and have 13,000 and 23,000 miles on them, the son has left home and the daughter has inherited his. The wife has also left home and taken hers with her but I assume it still works.

In severe downpours they might fail but that was cured by a touch of vaseline across the back. Battery life is around 6 years with silver oxide batteries.

I have to agree they are totally reliable and long lived.
Yma o Hyd

SimonCelsa

Postby SimonCelsa » 18 Nov 2016, 8:08pm

I recently built up and fitted a Shimano dynohub to the bike in that original photo.

A strange thing has happened to the speedo since......the odometer suddenly changed from 10,600 miles to 600 miles!! Everything else appears fully functional and indeed the odometer is still accumulating the miles accurately, just without the initial 2 digits.

Would the dynohub interfere with the computer in this way (I wrapped the wire pretty well around the speedo sensor on the fork) or did I just hit a big bump and the digits got displaced!!?

All the best, Simon

SimonCelsa

Postby SimonCelsa » 19 Nov 2016, 6:42pm

Strewth Meic, regarding your wife 'also leaving home' !!! I didn't really see that at first.

Hope she came back?? Or, if not I hope it was a happy parting. I'm going through a similar thing at the moment and with four kids it's not easy and feels a bit surreal,

All the best, Simon