Vulpine

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
PH

Vulpine

Post by PH »

EDIT - This review is for a couple of items that are no longer available. Still my high opinion of Vulpine kit remains and I'd have confidence in buying anything else now in the range.

Having lost some weight over the last few months (24kg as you didn’t ask) I’ve gradually been replacing some of my kit. I’ve long been of the opinion that I’m better off only buying stuff I really like and having less of it. Along with my long term favourites like Howies and Rohan, I’ve bought a couple of things from Vulpine which I've been impressed with.
The best of these has been the Hoy branded Randa Softshell jacket. I got this before Christmas, but it was mid January before it fitted. It soon became a favorite, warm enough over a merino baselayer for anything above freezing. Shrugs off all but a downpour, windproof and well ventilated, washes and dries easily. Very obviously a cycling jacket but not so conspicuous that it can’t be worn off the bike. It was almost a shame when the weather warmed up and it went to the back of the wardrobe.
EDIT - Dead link removed
The other item’s a hoodie which is far less cycling specific, though for trips to town it’s still pretty good on the bike. It’s nice in a lot of other ways and off the bike over the last few months is probably the most worn thing I have.
EDIT - Dead link removed

http://www.vulpine.cc
Last edited by PH on 3 Sep 2016, 10:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Re: Vulpine

Post by gaz »

Thanks for the heads up.

I need a new jacket soon, good to have another option to consider.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

PH wrote:Having lost some weight over the last few months (24kg as you didn’t ask)

Well done, many congratulations
DMan01

Post by DMan01 »

Sounds good - may have to give that a look.

I have a few Vulpine and 'Hoy Vulpine' items myself and am a particularly big fan of their 'harrington' raincoat. I did find it slightly irritating that they proceeded to put on massive sales a few weeks after I ordered my stuff though!!
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

PH wrote:Having lost some weight over the last few months (24kg as you didn’t ask) I’ve gradually been replacing some of my kit. I’ve long been of the opinion that I’m better off only buying stuff I really like and having less of it. Along with my long term favourites like Howies and Rohan, I’ve bought a couple of things from Vulpine which I've been impressed with.
The best of these has been the Hoy branded Randa Softshell jacket. I got this before Christmas, but it was mid January before it fitted. It soon became a favorite, warm enough over a merino baselayer for anything above freezing. Shrugs off all but a downpour, windproof and well ventilated, washes and dries easily. Very obviously a cycling jacket but not so conspicuous that it can’t be worn off the bike. It was almost a shame when the weather warmed up and it went to the back of the wardrobe.
http://www.vulpine.cc/uk/hoy-vulpine-me ... obalt-blue
The other item’s a hoodie which is far less cycling specific, though for trips to town it’s still pretty good on the bike. It’s nice in a lot of other ways and off the bike over the last few months is probably the most worn thing I have.
http://www.vulpine.cc/uk/mens/hoy-vulpi ... -blue-marl

Part of the reason for this post now, is they have a sale on, both the above are at a far lower price than I paid and I considered them good value at that. I’ve just ordered a couple of other things, I’m expecting these to be just as good.
http://www.vulpine.cc/uk/mens/vulpine-mens-sale

First two links are now duds.
PH

Post by PH »

rualexander wrote:First two links are now duds.

Thanks, I've edited the original post.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Love vulpine stuff, and their service is honesty the best I have ever received. Based purely on how theyou deal with theiron customers I'd recommend them, it's a bonus their products are very good as well!
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Very sad to read today that Vulpine have gone into administration: http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/vulpin ... ion/021223
honesty

Post by honesty »

Sad. I have a quite few items of theirs. The Hoy Vulpine gilet hasnt been off me when riding through winter and spring. I hope they get an eleventh hour reprieve.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Disappointed to hear this too.
Thankfully I recently bought half a dozen cycling caps during their sale (although they came down in price even further afterwards :roll: ).
It seems to me that small operators selling quality kit that necessitates high prices, don't have much chance in succeeding these days. :(
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Their merino polo shirts are perfect for touring as they look great on and off the bike and stay fresh for days. They are expensive but well worth the cash. I have had a few quality issues with their products including weird sizing and some shorts haven't aged too well but overall I've been happy.

If Vulpine do disappear I'm not sure where else to shop. Rapha is aimed at the whippet-thin speedy road cyclist and most other retailers sell the same old Altura/Endura/Gore lycra.

I think they did a good job promoting cycling as a normal activity just to get to work or around town and they will be missed!
honesty

Post by honesty »

There stuff is great for touring. I'm hoping I'm going to be able to pick up a quantity of their clothing in a fire sale...
honesty

Post by honesty »

Latest news, Vulpine has been bought by Mango Bikes. Good news - brand I like saved. Bad news - I'm assuming no fire sale of current stock