Zefal No Spring Bell

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
breakwellmz

Re: Zefal No Spring Bell

Postby breakwellmz » 10 Nov 2016, 8:43am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

Well I have had a chance ti try along the cycle paths..........Whatever You Do DONT BUY one of these.

Its Zefal and I have had several it on their items over the year and been happy.
Used it about twenty to twenty five pings max and the spring went out of the plastic pinger :(
SJS sell these for £1.49 by the way.

I have several more to try out.
I have one of these stainless and brass, £5.30 ebay -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockBros-Bicy ... KGhpqvDOMQ
rockbros bell.jpg

SJS price..................... :shock:

I`ve just received one of the RockBros bells (I paid less than a fiver inc P&P)
What a really well thought out and put together piece of kit, love it! :D

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 10 Nov 2016, 10:05am

Hi,
Two recommendations for the all metal bell pictured, yet to mount mine, need a posh bike first.................probably going on the Koga-Miyata :)
One says his ears hurt :lol:

Trying another cheappy will post later after more use and bad weather, survived first ride :) my bell needs to be a marathon one.
Always a problem to get the thumb lever in the right place and still operate brakes..........flat bars...........
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

PH

Postby PH » 10 Nov 2016, 9:40pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Two recommendations for the all metal bell pictured, yet to mount mine, need a posh bike first.................probably going on the Koga-Miyata :)
One says his ears hurt :lol: .

You've started a trend, ought to be on commission.
I like mine, thanks.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=110350

RickH

Postby RickH » 11 Nov 2016, 11:23pm

breakwellmz wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:...I have several more to try out.
I have one of these stainless and brass, £5.30 ebay -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockBros-Bicy ... KGhpqvDOMQ
rockbros bell.jpg

SJS price..................... :shock:

I`ve just received one of the RockBros bells (I paid less than a fiver inc P&P)

Just a shame that the RockBros bell appears to be a blatant, but poorly made, copy of the Spurcyle design (the one sold by SJS). There's an article on Cycling Tips webiste, A tale of two bells: Spurcycle vs. the counterfeiters

James Huang in Cycling Tips article wrote:...the Rock Brothers bell I bought stopped working after just five rides (and judging by the Amazon reviews, other buyers have had a similar experience).

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 11 Nov 2016, 11:52pm

Hi,
Never thought that it was a counterfeit job.
Mine came in a plain box so it must be a super cheap version :)

We test it here.........................it might fail yet..............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

PH

Postby PH » 12 Nov 2016, 12:01am

RickH wrote:Just a shame that the RockBros bell appears to be a blatant, but poorly made, copy of the Spurcyle design (the one sold by SJS).

It is a shame, if I'd known that I probably wouldn't have bought it, not because I would have thought it poorly made, more out of respect for IP, but what a monumental error not to get a patent. Though it doesn't mean I would have bought the original, I quite like having a bell, bit not £50 worth. As for the quality, time will tell, though there's only the simple spring to go wrong and it all looks well made, appearances are certainly not cheap and nasty.
Crane have obviously copied the idea, without replicating it, they're well known bell makers, manufacture in Japan and their version is still well under half the price of the Spurcyle
https://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/crane-e- ... AsMn8P8HAQ

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 12 Nov 2016, 12:30pm

PH wrote:
RickH wrote:Just a shame that the RockBros bell appears to be a blatant, but poorly made, copy of the Spurcyle design (the one sold by SJS).

It is a shame, if I'd known that I probably wouldn't have bought it, not because I would have thought it poorly made, more out of respect for IP, but what a monumental error not to get a patent. Though it doesn't mean I would have bought the original, I quite like having a bell, bit not £50 worth. As for the quality, time will tell, though there's only the simple spring to go wrong and it all looks well made, appearances are certainly not cheap and nasty.

I agree,though if it goes the distance I won't have a problem with buying the Rock Bros copy.As I posted on the other thread I have problem with spending£45+ on a bell and I suspect most people would too,I also have a degree of sympathy with Spurcycle,but no patent invites copies and the Chinese and Japanese don't miss a trick.

Crane have obviously copied the idea, without replicating it, they're well known bell makers, manufacture in Japan and their version is still well under half the price of the Spurcyle
https://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/crane-e- ... AsMn8P8HAQ

But they still cost £20 and £20 for a bell is excessive in R2 world,I'd push the boat out at a tenner,which would still cost me £50 for five bikes worth,@£20 a pop they're OTT.

NOTE:-I'll squirt the spring on my Rock bros ones(I got another one this morning from a UK seller)with semi fluid grease and take them from there watch the space on the other thread.
-----------------------------------------------------------

PH

Postby PH » 12 Nov 2016, 12:44pm

reohn2 wrote:But they still cost £20 and £20 for a bell is excessive in R2 world,I'd push the boat out at a tenner,which would still cost me £50 for five bikes worth,@£20 a pop they're OTT.

Some would say that 5 bikes was excessive :wink:
I'd never be in the position where all my bikes would need a new bell in one go. The bell I've just bought replaced a broken one that cost somewhere around a fiver and lasted around 5 years on my most used bike. I could do with another bell for the bike that's never had one and the most expensive bell I have cost around a tenner has lasted at least 10 years and is likely to outlast me. £20 for one that is likely to last a lifetime seems reasonable to me, I'll probably get a Crane bell.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 12 Nov 2016, 1:06pm

PH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:But they still cost £20 and £20 for a bell is excessive in R2 world,I'd push the boat out at a tenner,which would still cost me £50 for five bikes worth,@£20 a pop they're OTT.

Some would say that 5 bikes was excessive :wink:

Those are only the bikes that need a bell :shock:
TBH I'm going through a thinning out program ATM,one tandem and one solo has to go,it's a matter of which solo(i have two Vayas :? )

£20 for one that is likely to last a lifetime seems reasonable to me, I'll probably get a Crane bell.

I take your point but will a £20 bell last a lifetime,TBH if it lasted 10years it'd be a worthwhile investment.
WHAAT! am I talking myself into :? .............

rjb

Postby rjb » 12 Nov 2016, 1:07pm

My rockbros is in transit, I went for a silver one after I kept getting outbid at the last second when I wanted a brass one. Could I just remove the paint and sand it down back to the brass base?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 12 Nov 2016, 3:09pm

RickH wrote:Just a shame that the RockBros bell appears to be a blatant, but poorly made, copy of the Spurcyle design (the one sold by SJS). There's an article on Cycling Tips webiste, A tale of two bells: Spurcycle vs. the counterfeiters

James Huang in Cycling Tips article wrote:...the Rock Brothers bell I bought stopped working after just five rides (and judging by the Amazon reviews, other buyers have had a similar experience).

Regarding feedback and 'putting the word out'
Story alert:- MyS in L and Daughter run an internet business selling all kinds of phone and electrical accessories mostly from China.
They also sell genuine iPhone/Sony/Samsung accessories too and until recently had a shop on Amazon,that's until they were knobbled,a couple of incidents where genuine replacement accessories where claimed by the buyer not to be the genuine article.
My S in L offered to drive to the buyer or meet him(60 miles away) and take the goods (in this case iPhone accessories)to an iPhone shop to check them over to prove one way or the other.
The buyer left extremely bad feedback and kicked up a stink with Amazon,this happened twice and the second time Amazon stopped the shop with no proof whatsoever from both buyers(which coincidentally lived 10 miles apart),despite their shop having 99%+ posittive feedback.
They went through hell and high water with Amazon,and the whole affair cost them the thick end of £6K in stock which the buyers said they'd send back on receipt of a refund and their postage but didn't and an estimated £20k in lost sales.
It also cost two people they jobs at my Daughter and S in L's warehouse until the sales picked up again after regaining sales through other outlets and their own website.
It's an insight as to how spurious feedback without any back up can be used and how people with good intent and good business practice can be knobbled by others(IMO sellers)with other agendas.

FWIW,I've deliberately stood dinging my bells for an estimated 90 to 100 dings (wearing ear defenders) after a leettle squirt of grease on the springs.They haven't failed yet :) ,watch this space.
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 Nov 2016, 8:27pm, edited 3 times in total.

RickH

Postby RickH » 13 Nov 2016, 7:25pm

reohn2 wrote:
RickH wrote:I`ve just received one of the RockBros bells (I paid less than a fiver inc P&P)

You appear to have mistaken me for breakwellmz! I wouldn't want to infer looking like me on any poor soul! :lol:

Back on topic. I quite like the look of Knog's new OI! bell, especially for bars with not much spare space. It even has an inset in its mount to cope with going over under-bar-tape cables on drop bars. But the proof is in the dinging (as the saying nearly goes). This review has a short video clip that suggests it sounds a lot nicer that a normal "ping" bell.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 13 Nov 2016, 8:35pm

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
RickH wrote:I`ve just received one of the RockBros bells (I paid less than a fiver inc P&P)

You appear to have mistaken me for breakwellmz! I wouldn't want to infer looking like me on any poor soul! :lol:

Sorry my mistake,FIFY :)