Look Keo Max Pedal Problem.

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
NorwichVelo

Look Keo Max Pedal Problem.

Post by NorwichVelo »

Hello I just wanted to share my experience of the Look Keo Max pedal and Look's Customer Service.

I've had 2 pairs of Keo Carbon Pedals on my bikes for a good few years and they are the best pedals for racing I've ever had. However out of the blue my LBS said they had been recalled due to H&S reasons as the spindles can break. After much deliberation I decided to be cautious and they got exchanged for the Keo Max which I was told was an upgrade. However the Keo Max has a wider platform that hurt my feet and after just a few months summer riding the bearings were grinding.

On inspection the Keo Max has only one bearing as oppose to the 2 on the Keo Carbon. Instead of the 2 bearing there is a washer that had removed the bearing seal and was in contact with the bearings...not good.

Then a few days later the platform flew off the spindle and me with it.

I was told by the LBS to contact Look to take this up with them and they simply didn't want to know. It's shocking really.

I switched to Look pedals years ago from toe straps and I feel very let down. I just wanted to let people know so they don't hurt themselves. I went from owning the best pedals ever to the worst.
Gattonero

Re: Look Keo Max Pedal Problem.

Post by Gattonero »

NorwichVelo wrote:...
Then a few days later the platform flew off the spindle and me with it.

I was told by the LBS to contact Look to take this up with them and they simply didn't want to know. It's shocking really.

To be fair, you should say what happened exactly?
The metal platform on Look Keo Max is bonded onto the pedal body. It won't "fly off" unless it was already damaged, not inspected, then got caught with the pedal cleat?

It is true that their bearings do not come with a decent amount of grease.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
NorwichVelo

Re: Look Keo Max Pedal Problem.

Post by NorwichVelo »

The presson saled bearing came off the axle/spindle and once that happened the axle came out and I came off. What was most dissapointing was Looks attitude. I was gutted becasue my Keo carbon were recalled for the keo max that were too wide and basically crap,

Needless to say my 20 odd yeas as a look advocate and customer came to almasy as an abrupt halt as I did.