Je James Cycles

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
foxychick

Je James Cycles

Post by foxychick »

I recently ordered a giant talon 2 mountain bike and when the bike was delivered by mail order the front and rear gears had never even been set up and the back disc brake was rubbing badly. Also the front fork was fitted back to front and the bike had passed a full pdi check prior to dispatch.
Attachments
IMG_3297__1479842151_87483.jpg
IMG_3298__1479842253_69532.jpg
IMG_3293__1479842296_34410.jpg
IMG_3313__1479841911_68237.jpg
IMG_3311__1479841857_90514.jpg
landsurfer

Re: Je James Cycles You Could Not Make It Up.

Post by landsurfer »

And when you contacted JE James about these issues what was their response ???
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
meic

Post by meic »

Also the front fork was fitted back to front

Werent the handlebars twisted to be in-line with the wheel so that it could fit in a box easily.
Then you have just twisted the wheel the wrong way before tightening the stemclamp?
Yma o Hyd
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

lol lol lol ......... You Could Not Make It Up.
Be more Mike.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

I was passed from pillar to post and the only folk who could sort it out was the warranty department who never ever answer the phone, they did agree for me to take it to my local bike shop and they paid the cost of the ajustments. I emailed them on the 18th of november and asked them how did the bike pass a pdi prior to dispatch and just as i expected they have not replied. I have rang over 30 times but all you get is an answer machine.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Moral of the story: Use your LBS?
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

meic wrote:
Also the front fork was fitted back to front

Werent the handlebars twisted to be in-line with the wheel so that it could fit in a box easily.
Then you have just twisted the wheel the wrong way before tightening the stemclamp?

^^^ As Meic suggests - simple mistake maybe? - perhaps re-consider?

+ viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32147
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

BrianFox wrote:Moral of the story: Use your LBS?

Absolutely Brian - yeah.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Here are the star ratings from the je james facebook page for customer services ratings. 28% gave 1 star and a further 7% gave 2 stars so 35% in total not happy with the company so i now realise it is not a one off incident that i suffered. I think the statistics speak for themselves.

5 stars 431
4 stars 104
3 stars 143
2 stars 78
1 stars 293
Last edited by foxychick on 23 Nov 2016, 2:50pm, edited 2 times in total.
meic

Post by meic »

Yma o Hyd
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

foxychick wrote:Here are the star ratings from the je james facebook page for customer services ratings. 28% gave 1 star and a further 7% gave 2 stars so 35% in total not happy with the company so i now realise it is not a one off incident that i suffered. I think the statistics speak for themselves.

5 stars 431
4 stars 104
3 stars 143
2 stars 78
1 stars 293

To be fair, there's more 4's and 5's than there are 1's and 2's.

Hope it works out for you.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
landsurfer

Re: Je James Cycles

Post by landsurfer »

Their my LBS in Rotherham.
Short staffed at weekends, probably the busiest time of the week !
Well to be honest, lots of staff chatting to each other in the repair section, and in the Road section, but they are unable to work tills, beneath them I expect.
Bought a £700 pound bike off them, guy wheels it towards me and says nothing.
I put my hand on it and he walked off with out a word. Nothing, not a sight of their super customer service.
They don't answer queries via their on line service.
And when you do see something on their website you want to buy there's no way of paying at checkout.

HOWEVER

They have lent me tools, showed me the route to getting discounts, ...... and .... now I start to write it down .... Not a lot more ....mmmmmm

Back to Decathlon ..... :D
Be more Mike.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

I agree that the Fork issue could just be a simple error by the customer but here's my two pen'orth.

JEJames are my LBS.I live more or less the same distance from both the Rotherham and Sheffield stores and after many years I stopped dealing them both a few years ago.
Rotherham:-
Over the years I've bough probably 5 or 6 MTBs from them and can't fault the sales but it was the workshop I had issues with.Poor service.In the days before I did all servicing/repairs myself I used JEJames Rotherham but in the end I'd just had enough of their BS.It was daft things like taking a bike in for its 6 week check and it coming back with slipping gears etc but the last straw was when I took a Free-hub in as the Pawls were slipping.They had the Hub FIVE weeks...excuse?...waiting for a part.When I finally told them I had to have the wheel back as I was going away the part mysteriously appeared and I picked the wheel up en-route to the Lake District.Within 5 mins of setting off around Whinlatter Forest the free hub failed.Luckily there's a Bike shop there and he agreed to sort it there and then as I explained we'd just got there for a weeks MTBing.
When he removed the free hub the Pawls were shot and it was just packed with grease.In his opinion the Pawls were not new at all.He replaced them there and then so everything was fine.JEJames Rotherham refused any responsibility so I've never used them again.
Sheffield:-
I'd used the Sheffield shop alongside Rotherham and when a bike I bought needed a warranty fix on a Fork I had no option but to take it to Sheffield to have them send it back to the manufacturer.It came back quickly so all was going well until I picked the bike up.The Fork was a double-crown DH type job and I noticed that one of the stanchions was clamped lower than the other.When I asked if everything was OK I was told
"yes it's all working and tested".
"tested how"?
"ridden around the carpark and pumped a few times etc"
"so you've ridden it around and it's tested OK"
"yeah mate spot on"
I then pointed out that the fork was clamped wrongly and that riding and pumping what was in effect an out of line/twisted fork could have done untold damage :evil:
Cue much back-pedalling and rubbish about miscommunication and lad who installed it was off etc.
For such an established shop you'd have thought they'd employ better staff.

My mate was,for many years,the manager at the Sheffield Branch and he left because he was sick of all the hassle from irate customers due to poor service.
Many of the sales staff from Rotherham left and set up a company called Uber-bike.They sell own brand stuff (think Superstar Components) and have a little workshop.I haven't used the workshop as I now do everything myself but have heard good reports.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Thank you for your very interesting post about je james cycles ibbo68. I emailed them 13 days ago asking how my bike had passed a full pdi inspection and yet arrived in the state it did, i still await their reply, am i surprised? To be honest not really as they just pass you from one person to another and the warranty department who were the only ones that could resolve my issue never ever answer the phone. To be honest i do not think that the bike had even been touched since coming from the giant factory in taiwan.