Wilko's adhesives etc

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
mjr

Re: Wilko's adhesives etc

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:
Si wrote:I got a p*nct*re repair kit from Wilko - the glue tube was totally devoid of glue!

I think you just got unlucky. The puncture kits, like some other cycle stuff, are rebranded Weldtite which has a good reputation. I've only used Wilcos puncture kits for at least a decade and haven't had a bad one yet.

Beware: they switch supplier without warning or changing price or packaging. The self adhesive patches used to be relabelled Weldtite Red Devils (plastic coated rubber with AFAICT ready-tacky rubber solvent under the peel off paper) but suddenly changed to the yellow rubbish (plastic with glue AFAICT) that half odds has been selling as own brand for a while and I've not bought them since.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:
PH wrote:
Si wrote:I got a p*nct*re repair kit from Wilko - the glue tube was totally devoid of glue!

I think you just got unlucky. The puncture kits, like some other cycle stuff, are rebranded Weldtite which has a good reputation. I've only used Wilcos puncture kits for at least a decade and haven't had a bad one yet.

Beware: they switch supplier without warning or changing price or packaging. The self adhesive patches used to be relabelled Weldtite Red Devils (plastic coated rubber with AFAICT ready-tacky rubber solvent under the peel off paper) but suddenly changed to the yellow rubbish (plastic with glue AFAICT) that half odds has been selling as own brand for a while and I've not bought them since.

Oh dear, seems to be the way with big business, chopping and changing to make/save a penny. The brake cables now the puncture patches, buyer beware...
Si

Post by Si »

Probably .
Although talking of wilko, I've just snapped one of their box spanners while adjusting the saddle on the Brompton. I notice that the spanner is a spiny chrome one u like the dull coloured ones that i've gotten from other places and used for years.

Not that I have a downer on wilcko. I get all my cables there.