Thorn Audax Mk3 (frame and fork only)

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Cheers. I think they're right suggesting the Medium for me, like you I'm basing that on the top tube length. My old bike is 580mm and I'd prefer it a little shorter so the M at 565 sounds ideal. I'd have about 200mm of seatpost extended, which looks wrong to me but I suppose that's normal for a compact frame - Thorn certainly think so. I just need to check out the steering height to make sure it won't need a silly number of spacers.

Then I need to wait till they're back in stock. Gives me time to make up my mind between compact double or road triple chainset.

Tony S
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

aesmith wrote:.
Then I need to wait till they're back in stock. Gives me time to make up my mind between compact double or road triple chainset.

Tony S

No contest there, it has to be a triple IMO

Tony where are you situated?
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

reohn2 wrote:Tony where are you situated?

Aberdeenshire.

Double vs triple is a debate in itself I guess, with no general right or wrong answer. Currently I have a double 52/36 with 13-28 at the back. A 50/34 and 12-27 would give more at both ends, but I assume I'd still have a slightly clunky change at the front. I was all set on that, but now having second thoughts - maybe two smaller steps from a triple would be better.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

aesmith wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Tony where are you situated?

Aberdeenshire.

Double vs triple is a debate in itself I guess, with no general right or wrong answer. Currently I have a double 52/36 with 13-28 at the back. A 50/34 and 12-27 would give more at both ends, but I assume I'd still have a slightly clunky change at the front. I was all set on that, but now having second thoughts - maybe two smaller steps from a triple would be better.

The reason I ask where you lived was if you were nearby you could have tried mine for size/inspection.

The plus for me with a triple is that you can have the close ratio cassette and still have a wide range of gearing that can suit every situation,especially its your only bike or if you like lonnnnng rides where the last hill can kill :shock: :)

PS I'm on record saying that compact c/sets are a gimick,so I'm sticking to that :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Having now covered a few more hundred miles I have nothing to add to my original post other than to say that I like the bike the more I ride it.

I changed the bars for a shallower drop (pro LT from Ribble cycles)to suit my tired back :( ,I replaced the 25mm Gatorskins for 28mm's (which I really like) and theres a lot of room under the 'guards still.
This bike IMHO handles like a light tourer should,stiff yet forgiving,with no vices,what more can I say. :D :D :D
PW

Post by PW »

Re- Tony's gearing, I built a 953 Audax type bike last summer. It ended up with SRAM 11-26 cassette in 10 speed, coupled to a Stronglight Speedlight chainset, 48/38/26. That gives a close-ish rear end for rolling countryside with a wide spread for the hills. Compacts aren't a gimmick, it's just the roadies coming to see sense at last :wink: - 52/36 & 50/34 were around back in the days of 5 speed 14-34 soup plates. Showing my age again! :oops:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PW

I'm not buying the compact set up its the worst of both worlds.OK you get the low gear but mid range if I'm wanting to use the small cogs on say a 34 inner ie 34x17/16/15/14 they're too low.whereas 38xsame cogs, I can trundle at a respectable pace,the 50 outer is too big for my favorite cassette (26,23,21,19,18,17,16,15,14).A 48 outer gives some nice gears with the cassette mentioned as I rarely go over 25/30mph on the flat (only if I can tag on the back of a fast group :wink: )and if things get really hard I can always change the 26 for a 28,juuust (with the Ultegra medium cage rear mech that fitted).

The ideal(for me anyway)would be a triple 30/38/48 with the same cassette.When I'm due for a chainset thats what I think I'll buy.

But,if you like compacts feel free, whatever strums yer strings as they say.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I could dither for ever on things like that. I think if I had the frame in my hands right now I'd probably go for a double and get out riding. It'd be expensive to change, though.

As it is, it sound like at least a month before the frames are back in stock. I was looking at alternatives, and the Surly Pacer seems a possibility. Slightly sportier geometry I think with shorter wheelbase and steeper steering, a little lighter and a little more expensive.

Tony S
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Finally got mine built enough to ride. Here it is, also shown next to my old faithful ...

There's still a fair bit to do. Mudguards to be fitted, handlebar position finalised, then the cables adjusted to match, and then the bars can be taped. The headset spacers are a bit improvised, 40mm cut down from a section of old motorcycle exhaust pipe as well as a 10mm alloy below and 12mm alloy

Strangely I need the saddle around an inch lower than my old bike. I set it all up the same but as soon as I was aboard the saddle felt too high. I guess the angles are different or something.

I think I might need a shorter stem. I'll ride a bit more before I decide, it might just be the looks - those STIs look huge stuck out in front!

I would also prefer the stem and seatpost in silver, but probable won't replace them just for that reason.

Tony S
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tony
Looking nice,I hope you like your's as much as I like mine :D
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

reohn2 wrote: .. I hope you like your's as much as I like mine :D

Couldn't be happier so far. I have the mudguards on now, some comfy tape on the bars and after a couple rides I moved the bars down a little. I think maybe the stem is fine as it is.

Tony S
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

johnmac wrote:Could it accept 32mm tyres?

I'm sorry for it taking so long but I tried a wheel out of another bike this morning and would say it does take 32mm tyres (Schwalbe Marathons)comfortably with safe clearances,
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

At Last!
Its Green

Not a particularly atmospheric view, and not the most technically accomplished photo I've ever managed...
Might replace it if I can come up with a better one.
Havent fitted a rack yet, but almost certainly will. Havent finished cutting down the steerer - I think I need to get in a longish ride first, to be sure about things. When I am, I'll get a one piece spacer made up and painted.
Managed to get out for an hour or so this afternoon for the first trial and rather enjoyed it. It'll take me a while to feel at home on it. The handling is different to anything I remember riding, but not in a bad way, just different!
Anyone gone for the Fuschia?
mercurykev

Post by mercurykev »

This is my Mk3 at the Corran Ferry, near Ft William (225km into a 600km Audax)

I've used it for the whole of this audax season and it has served me admirably.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I notice that you seem to have evaded or overcome the only fly currently in my ointment!
I already had the same chainset (Deore) that SJS use for what is currently their cheapest complete bike. They were claiming that the Tiagra triple mech worked well with it (although on paper it shouldnt) so I bought one, and after some difficulties, got it working.
The problem is that I now have a very bulky clamp band touching the lower bottle mount, and I suspect that it will prevent me from mounting a bottle holder on the seat tube.
I do have another mech in which the clamp is below the pivot, but using this in bottom pull mode results in a very untidy cable line.
What sort of chainset and front mech do you have?