Suntour SP12-NCX Suspension Seat Post

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
UpWrong

Suntour SP12-NCX Suspension Seat Post

Post by UpWrong »

This is a parallelogram design like the Cane Creek Thudbuster, but less expensive. I bought from Rose bikes and the price is now around £52, https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/suntour-sp12-ncx-suspension-seat-post/aid:614120

I wanted to fit this to my Spa Tourer but the required seat tube to saddle rail distance is 110mm which meant the saddle was slightly too high. So I've fitted it to my Thorn Audax. It does a great job of smoothing the ride. I have no experience of other suspension seat posts to compare it to but I'm impressed. There is quite a lot of seat set back resulting from the linkage which might be a good thing if you use a saddle with short rails such as a Brooks. The seat to handlebar distance increased slightly. In operation the saddle moves down and back with this seat post which probably helps to keep a more constant distance to the BB. Getting into and out of the saddle is not an issue for me with this seat post either. It's made my 28mm 80 psi Durano feel like a 50mm 40 psi Big Apple in terms of comfort without affecting performance.
UpWrong

Re: Suntour SP12-NCX Suspension Seat Post

Post by UpWrong »

I've now done a couple of weeks commuting and have been chucking the bike around with gay abandon. The seat post is proving to be one of the best cycle purchases I have made. The ride is much much better than having BA tyres. It's given the bike a new lease of life. I've been wanting to sell the Thorn Audax on a number of occasions but this upgrade addresses the comfort issue of only being able to run tyres of up to 28mm width.