Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Active trousers

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
thirdcrank

Re: Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Active trousers

Post by thirdcrank »

We've had some interesting threads about rainlegs before but I've never tried them. Going back a while, pre-Lusso tights, I used to wear Tudor plusses or longs (fleecy backed material) and they soak up water and don't dry well. As it's the front of the thighs which tends to get soaked first, I mentally invented rainlegs before they were invented, if you see what I mean. Lo and behold, two Wheels Good, as was, introduced some sort of "chaps" rather like what cowboys were portrayed as wearing but with waterproof fronts and a mesh back. They certainly kept the fronts of my legs drier - except for condensation - but the water ran off the edges and soaked the backs of my legs instead. My next invention, gutters round the edges, never went into production. :wink: Luckily for me, Lusso brought out their tights and I discovered polyamide trousers as well.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

reohn2 wrote:Cotton is a well known moisture retainer,I cant say I've heard of 'technical cotton weave' and can't see how it can dry quicker than synthetics :?

What a "technical weave" generally equates to is finer and thinner, so there's less ability to hold water so it dries quicker than, say, a pair of jeans. If you've got a fairly chunky synthetic in a baggy cut (which means less proximity to drying body heat) it may take longer than fine cotton in a relatively close cut

One of the positives of stretch is it means the garment can be cut closer, which means it's closer to the warm legs that are drying it out. That's a lot of why tights dry so fast. You can get "technical" cotton/elastane mixes which have the nice feel of cotton along with down to skin-tight fit.

However, all else being equal synthetics will dry quicker.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pjclinch wrote:.......However, all else being equal synthetics will dry quicker.

Pete.

That is my experience,I learned a loonnngggg time ago not to wear cotton when cycling or when walking in the hills.
If you get cold wearing cotton you stay cold,synthetics dry rapid and the muscles warm up amazingly quick as the material when dry becomes almost totally windproof.
In cold weather another thin synthetic layer such as lightweight Pertex overtrousers (Montane featherlite pants) and I'm very cozy :D

NOTE,TC mentioned Lusso stuff up thread their Roubaix material is amazing,warm wet or dry
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

reohn2 wrote:
pjclinch wrote:.......However, all else being equal synthetics will dry quicker.

Pete.

That is my experience,I learned a loonnngggg time ago not to wear cotton when cycling or when walking in the hills.
If you get cold wearing cotton you stay cold,synthetics dry rapid and the muscles warm up amazingly quick as the material when dry becomes almost totally windproof.

A couple of generalisations too far, I think...

On hot days cotton can actively cool you. Hillwalking does not necessarily imply cold and wet. You need to be prepared as it can always turn that way, but while it isn't cotton has a place.
And not all cotton is created equal. My wide-brimmed hat is cotton duck, and it keeps off both sun and rain very effectively. Ventile cotton is used in waterproofs and was originally developed for pilot's immersion suits. It has a niche but enthusiastic following among outdoors types, being much more breathablke and comfortable than Goretex or similar.

Windproof is about weave, not composition of the fibres. I have a synthetic mesh running singlet somewhere. However dry it is it's never windproof, but a cotton Ventile jacket is pretty much completely windproof.

Pete.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cotton duck is good for cycling. I hadn't thought about that. I have a Carradice cape that I use for lots of things; not just cycling. It's good for days out with the kids because I can put it on over a rucksack.

I also have an Aussie 'drycoat' that is similar material that I like (although I wouldn't cycle in it for reasons unrelated to the material)

I was more thinking of shirts and trousers. I wouldn't want to wear cotton duck against my skin, and I've not come across other cotton materials that I would want to wear on the bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Hilltrek's Greenspot cotton touring jacket is generally well thought of (by those that can afford it!).

Pete.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Most of my casual clothing is Craghoppers, has been for years. In fact since I retired most of the clothes I wear are Craghoppers, for walking, cycling and day to day use.

Very hard wearing, so much so that the Kiwi shirt I last bought had a lifetime warranty on it, and I'm desperatley trying to wear out a couple of shirts that have been worn every week for the last 7 years (they've been lasting too long I think)!

Agree with the discounting, I've never paid full price, usually half that or less.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
umplumpa

Post by umplumpa »

Another heads up for the Craghoppers. Have had several pairs of the women's version over the years; for walking, utility cycling and just general day to day wear. They have really come into their own when touring; take up hardly any weight or room in the panniers and don't crease making them perfect "normal" trousers to wear after a day in cycling bottoms. Have rinsed them through under the morning shower, wrapped them in a travel towel for the day and found them dry enough to put back after a day's riding. Agree with other posters though about the specs wipe having no practical use.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Washed mine twice now and they haven't shrunk a millimetre,I found one loose thread which I snipped off with scissors.
Very please with both pairs :)
W H Auden
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

reohn2 wrote:Washed mine twice now and they haven't shrunk a millimetre,I found one loose thread which I snipped off with scissors.
Very please with both pairs :)

On your recommendation reohn2 I bought a pair, the most attractively priced of which were in a shop just over the hill down in Llanberis :D

I must say, they're just the ticket and am pleased as Punch and happy as Larry :D

Going back for more - as I have a cunning plan to get a pair altered into breeks/plus twos 8) The 4 way stretch being the key element for cycling.

I've never found poly cotton to be shrinkable. I suppose unnecessarily high temperatures might do it?
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm so glad you can join Larry and Punch in your happiness,and hope you called in at Sam's cafe for some of her wholesome food whilst in Llanberis :D

PS,good aren't they :)

PPS,I think the Breeks idea would work well,with Argyl knee socks :wink:
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

deliquium wrote:Going back for more - as I have a cunning plan to get a pair altered into breeks/plus twos 8) The 4 way stretch being the key element for cycling.

Thread resurrection as this has been linked from another.
Did you follow the breeks idea up deliquium? I'm tempted to try the same and any experience/pitfalls would be useful to hear.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I can't say I agree about the finish as the pair I bought are finished very well indeed.
The shinking is a cause for concern though you're the only one on this thread to complain about it,could it be they've been washed on too higher temperature?

Nope. It's not a massive shrink like a too-hot wash did to some of my merino socks but just enough to turn them from cycling trousers into needing to be worn with boots......

I've had mine for a yea now and can honestly say they haven't shrunk a mm they're just the same as when I bought them :)
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm still happy with my Craghoppers and certainly no shrinkage. They've been unfavourably compared with Rohan above and I have some of theirs too. They are indeed higher quality but not without drawbacks, one of which being that the man who founded the company had little time for people with average length legs. I'd say that Rohan trousers have a much more tightly woven fabric than Craghoppers and so give better protection from the wind, but OTOH, I have some Rohan Trailblazer trousers (several years old) with Lycra to give some stretch and they feel clammy to the touch, even when dry.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

PH wrote:
deliquium wrote:Going back for more - as I have a cunning plan to get a pair altered into breeks/plus twos 8) The 4 way stretch being the key element for cycling.

Thread resurrection as this has been linked from another.
Did you follow the breeks idea up deliquium? I'm tempted to try the same and any experience/pitfalls would be useful to hear.

Not yet :( I still think it's worth a go - so will retrack the idea and pop into the 'alterations and repairs' lady in Porthmadog today.

I did get as far as ascertaining the necessary inside leg measurement (based on a couple of pairs of true made to measure Plus Twos)

I'm still very happy with the trousers for walking. The fit and comfort is very good.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"