Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Active trousers

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
reohn2

Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Active trousers

Post by reohn2 »

Ibought a pair of these last week,they have four zipped pocket and are made from a stretch material that's ideal for everyday cycling,very stretchy and unrestrictive,well made and the grey ones look quite smart too :)
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/craghoppers ... rs-p266169
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Re: Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Active trousers

Post by thirdcrank »

Good gear but generally massively discounted. Although they change things like colour and pocket detail from time to time, last year's stuff is generally just as good as this year's. Discounts in Craghopper's own shops tend to make their stuff even cheaper than you can pick it up at TKmaxx, where I presume they are clearing the stuff other retailers couldn't sell because they were undercut by Craghoppers themselves.

(I find the spec wipers in the pockets a waste of space.)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I bought mine from Crags own discount shop at Freeport Fleetwood for £35, I'm so impressed I've reserved another pair in a dark green colour :)
BTW I agree about the specs wipe,it's held in place with a press stud affair so unclipped mine and binned it :?
W H Auden
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Lived in mine last week whilst walking in Northumberland. They are excellent.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I have a couple of pairs of them, very comfortable to wear aren’t they.
Beauty will save the world.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I bought a couple of pairs of these last year and agree with all the positive comments, pretty windproof too, I

used mine all last winter. Some bargain prices for these on ebay once you are sure of your size.

Tuck 'em in your socks and the job's a good 'un.

They also do them in 3 different leg lengths and female versions.

I'm tempted to try the Kiwi shorts my current ones keep getting caught on the down tube levers.

Craghopper also make some non-stretchy trousers which are cut way too flappy in the thigh for cycling,

be sure to get the stretchy ones.
Nu-Fogey
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

colin54 wrote:...........Craghopper also make some non-stretchy trousers which are cut way too flappy in the thigh for cycling,

be sure to get the stretchy ones.

Agreed,I tried on some non stretchy versions of their trousers in the shop and wasn't impressed by the fit.It's that bit of stretch that makes all the difference in fit and unrestrictiveness for riding in :D
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Another thing about buying any sort of leisure trousers for riding is to get polyamide, rather than anything containing cotton. The former will dry quickly as soon as the rain stops, the latter will flap around like wet dishcloths for the rest of the day.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Not impressed with mine. Discounted in a mainstream shop but loads of trailing end threads and other signs of poor quality control. Also seem to have shrunk slightly after a few soakings and washings so they're now OK with walking boots but too short for cycling. Very noisy to wear. Cheaper than Rohan but simply not as good IMO. Craghoppers seem to have moved downmarket to fill the gap vacated by Regatta's fall under JD Sports to bucket shops like The Range.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:Another thing about buying any sort of leisure trousers for riding is to get polyamide, rather than anything containing cotton. The former will dry quickly as soon as the rain stops, the latter will flap around like wet dishcloths for the rest of the day.

Just wear a waterproof that covers the thighs if it rains - clips stop flapping and body heat will dry a technical cotton weave on the lower legs soon enough, although I can see something like flannel cords might behave as you describe.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I can't say I agree about the finish as the pair I bought are finished very well indeed.
The shinking is a cause for concern though you're the only one on this thread to complain about it,could it be they've been washed on too higher temperature?

Cotton is a well known moisture retainer,I cant say I've heard of 'technical cotton weave' and can't see how it can dry quicker than synthetics :?
W H Auden
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

If, like me, you're not keen on thigh pockets in general use then Rohan make some alternatives (Stretch Bags, Escapers) that work well on a bike. Their "Souk" clearance section for last year's colour is often a source of cheaper ones.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mjr

Post by mjr »

reohn2 wrote:I can't say I agree about the finish as the pair I bought are finished very well indeed.
The shinking is a cause for concern though you're the only one on this thread to complain about it,could it be they've been washed on too higher temperature?

Nope. It's not a massive shrink like a too-hot wash did to some of my merino socks but just enough to turn them from cycling trousers into needing to be worn with boots.

Cotton is a well known moisture retainer,I cant say I've heard of 'technical cotton weave' and can't see how it can dry quicker than synthetics :?

It won't dry quicker than synthetics, but it won't "flap around like wet dishcloths for the rest of the day" or other needless scaremongering about lovely soft natural cotton.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It was only after retiring that I began doing any sort of riding in ordinary togs ie when I bought what I refer to as my shopping bike. I bought some Lowe Alpine casual trousers in a rather nice rip-stop weave in some sort of cotton. Although they weren't aimed at cycling, the area under the crotch which is normally just a seam in the form of a cross was made in one piece so ideal for utility riding. Just the job! The first time I wore them riding in the rain I got soaked. I was going to Batley Citizens Advice as a volunteer so I could neither get changed (no spare togs) nor interview members of the public in my underpants. I spent several uncomfortable hours, wearing trousers as described earlier. Around that time Marks and Sparks made an ill-advised foray into this type of outdoor wear: I say ill-advised because a lot of the stuff was eventually cleared at less than half-price. The range included some polyamide trousers. They had some unusual features, like an upside-down front zip and aping Rohan, I suppose, they could be packed into their own back pocket. One huge benefit for cycling was that they were available in black. My main point here was the difference in speed of drying. I went shopping to the local Asda hoping to beat the big black cloud, but failed to do so. Utterly drenched in seconds in a thunderstorm. Fastened up the bike, did a bit of shopping and at the checkout, the operator asked about the weather. I thought she was being funny and mentioned my drowned rat appearance but she said I looked dry. I realised she was right. Trousers almost completely dry after a few minutes shopping. The only comparison I can make is with Lusso tights, which seem to dry like magic.

IME, cotton is great for all sorts of things but cycling in the rain wearing cotton trousers isn't something I'd recommend to others.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Another thing about buying any sort of leisure trousers for riding is to get polyamide, rather than anything containing cotton. The former will dry quickly as soon as the rain stops, the latter will flap around like wet dishcloths for the rest of the day.

Just wear a waterproof that covers the thighs if it rains - clips stop flapping and body heat will dry a technical cotton weave on the lower legs soon enough, although I can see something like flannel cords might behave as you describe.

I avoid wearing cotton on the bike as much as possible. Every now and then, I give myself a lesson on why. The most recent was when I wore some cotton cargo trousers to pop down to the shops. It rained on me while I was out (Murphy's Law, right?) and my trousers went instantly soggy and floppy. Protecting my thighs would not have helped, or at least not very much, and it was distinctly uncomfortable to walk around the shop with wet cotton stuck to my legs.

A few years before, was when I wore some cotton 3/4 long trousers to a restaurant and hit a rain shower on the way. I've never been so cold as sitting in an air conditioned restaurant, wearing wet cotton. These were designed for outdoor use with a rip-stop weave and moisture wicking. Even if the wicking function made them dry quicker, it wasn't quick enough to keep me from feeling like an ice cube.

BTW, I love cotton. Just not for cycing.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom