Bikehut/Halfords track pump

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
esuhl

Bikehut/Halfords track pump

Post by esuhl »

I bought this pump about a year ago for £17 on special offer. It's £25 now.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ma ... with-gauge

I'm really impressed with it. It clips on easily to both Presta and Schraeder valves (without need to change anything), has a clear gauge, and for the money I can't really fault it.

A couple of friends have expensive branded track pumps. One has a really narrow chamber (so it takes more pumping) and a really fiddly screw-on attachment that lets half the air out when detach the pump, and the other one has a fiddly adaptor to switch between Presta/Schraeder.

Dunno if this helps anyone... :-)
rmurphy195

Re: Bikehut/Halfords track pump

Post by rmurphy195 »

esuhl wrote:I bought this pump about a year ago for £17 on special offer. It's £25 now.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ma ... with-gauge

I'm really impressed with it. It clips on easily to both Presta and Schraeder valves (without need to change anything), has a clear gauge, and for the money I can't really fault it.

A couple of friends have expensive branded track pumps. One has a really narrow chamber (so it takes more pumping) and a really fiddly screw-on attachment that lets half the air out when detach the pump, and the other one has a fiddly adaptor to switch between Presta/Schraeder.

Dunno if this helps anyone... :-)

I've had a similar one for 2 or 3 years, slightly different barrel (higher volume) and the pressuren gauge is at the bottom but looks like the same schrader/presta nozzle. been very happy with it, used on both bikes (one presta, one schrader) and the car and caravan. Very handy
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
peterh11

Post by peterh11 »

I’d like to widen the discussion a little bit here.

My venerable SKS track pump has reached the end of its life. Won’t pump at all (loss of seal) and I don’t think the pressure gauge has been working reliably for a little while. Multiple issues - I took it apart and don’t reckon it is worth trying to repair as it has lasted (I think) best part of 30 years and the internals are generally in very poor condition.

So I bought one from my LBS, brand name Passport as distributed by ISON. It works well, the dual head goes on securely and easily (looks like a Topeak one). But it is much harder work to pump than the old one - I have to lean my weight (rather slight 65kg) on it to get tyres up to 5 bar. Comparing the two, the new one has a much wider barrel than the old one - I estimate that the internal diameter is about 30% greater and therefore internal cross-section area around 70% more. It seems likely this is the main factor, though possible the different head (dual head vs the old one has a single (“smarthead”) head which fits both Schraeder and Presta valves). Yes it pumps the tyre up quite quickly but I’d prefer one which takes a few more pumps and is easier.

I see good reviews generally for the Topeak pumps like the Joe Blow range - I saw their “Sport” one in another shop and that seems to have a narrower barrel. There are also a number of Lezyne pumps which are well rated. I don’t mind paying a bit more for a pump which meets my needs and will last since I have to maintain several bikes used on a daily basis.

So ... can people comment on recently acquired pumps regarding ease of use (e.g. mounting and up mounting the head to/from teh valve) and amount of force required to pump? Must have a head which can be used on both Schraeder and Presta valves without fiddling about.

Peter H
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

peterh11 wrote: ...

So ... can people comment on recently acquired pumps regarding ease of use (e.g. mounting and up mounting the head to/from teh valve) and amount of force required to pump? Must have a head which can be used on both Schraeder and Presta valves without fiddling about.

Peter H

Current thread here.

viewtopic.php?p=1162289#p1162289

And Halfords are currently selling the Joe Blow Sport cheaper than the £25 quoted by the OP for their own brand pump
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Skinny pumps are better for high pressure applications,fatter pumps will do a larger volume,but won't do a higher pressures. So the long thin ones are really for the track and time tea lists, who use skinny tyres and like pressure of150 psi plus.
NUKe

Post by peterh11 »

thirdcrank wrote:
peterh11 wrote: ...

Peter H

Current thread here.

viewtopic.php?p=1162289#p1162289

And Halfords are currently selling the Joe Blow Sport cheaper than the £25 quoted by the OP for their own brand pump

Yes, found it after I posted here, sorry! However, there isn’t much discussion about my actual question there.
peterh11

Post by peterh11 »

NUKe wrote:Skinny pumps are better for high pressure applications,fatter pumps will do a larger volume,but won't do a higher pressures. So the long thin ones are really for the track and time tea lists, who use skinny tyres and like pressure of150 psi plus.

This is kind of what I assume, a slimmer barrel means less air being pushed into the tyre per stroke and therefore less work per unit movement of the pump handle hence a lower required force. I was wondering if anyone had solid evidence to the contrary, such as other significant factors. There was a comment about the seal in the other referenced thread but I would need convincing about that being a big factor.

I have to say I am tending towards an SKS Rennkompressor as it looks skinnier and also very similar to my old pump. Maybe if I buy one of these and look after it better then it will last even longer? Mind you, the Joe Blow sport is also a bit slimmer.

I just don’t think I could pump tyres up to say 7 bar with the new (fatter) one - I as a relatively small and light person would not be able to put enough weight on to the handle. The last few strokes up to 5 bar require me to use a lot of my weight and I don’t think other members of the family would be able to get that far.

Thanks
Peter H
the snail

Post by the snail »

peterh11 wrote:

Peter H

I've had the bikehut pump about ten years, works well, pump head goes straight onto schraeder/presta valves with no fiddling. Pumps road/mtb tyres up easily. Guage seems good.
RickH

Post by RickH »

NUKe wrote:...time tea lists, who use skinny tyres and like pressure of150 psi plus.

Are they the one who always race to be first to the afternoon cafe stop on rides? :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
peterh11

Post by peterh11 »

the snail wrote:
peterh11 wrote:

Peter H

I've had the bikehut pump about ten years, works well, pump head goes straight onto schraeder/presta valves with no fiddling. Pumps road/mtb tyres up easily. Guage seems good.

Thanks. What is the diameter of the barrel? I measured my old and new and the old is 30mm outside diameter and the new is 38mm. This is a big difference in cross-section area - old one is 27.5mm internal diameter (can’t easily dismantle the new one) roughly so if we assume similar thickness then there is a factor of about 1.7 in cros section area (give or take) which would certainly make a significant difference in required pumping pressure.

Peter H