Cycling UK kit

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
ukdodger

Re: CTC CYCLING KIT

Post by ukdodger »

What I cant figure is why the price hike. The first CTC cap I bought before Impsport got involved cost £2 and a 1st Class postage stamp delivery cost. Now the same cap is £10.90 with a whopping £6 delivery charge. Profiteering or what. The CTC should have something to say about it.
Si

Post by Si »

Having just bought a new cycling cap after my old CTC one had spent too long in a wet pannier....I have to report that £10.90 is very much middle price range for cycle caps (if we exclude those that are on special offer), indeed, considering that it is a specially designed club hat that won't be desired by non-CTC members and thus will have a smaller than normal production run, it seems reasonably priced.

Also, please note the guidelines for this area of the forum and do use phrases that might be taken as accusing businesses of profiteering unless you have real proof and produce it. cheers.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Si wrote:Having just bought a new cycling cap after my old CTC one had spent too long in a wet pannier....I have to report that £10.90 is very much middle price range for cycle caps (if we exclude those that are on special offer), indeed, considering that it is a specially designed club hat that won't be desired by non-CTC members and thus will have a smaller than normal production run, it seems reasonably priced.

Also, please note the guidelines for this area of the forum and do use phrases that might be taken as accusing businesses of profiteering unless you have real proof and produce it. cheers.

The cap I bought in 2008 was £2. I Bought it from the CTC. They posted it in a jiffy bag with a first class stamp. The cap (the white one) weighed less than the jiffy bag. It was by any standards a very cheaply made cap. Buy one and see for yourself. I have other caps that cost less than £6 which are better quality but without the CTC logo. So I make no apologies £10.90 for that cap and £6 for delivery IS profiteering.

'considering that it is a specially designed club hat that won't be desired by non-CTC members and thus will have a smaller than normal production run, it seems reasonably priced.'

You might also consider that as CTC members buy it the price would reflect their willingness to advertise the CTC and as a reward for their loyalty.

You might also consider where your own loyalty's lie.
Si

Post by Si »

Sorry, but going from discussing the pricing of clothes to statements such as this just seems totally bizarre to me. I point out that it is about average for the price of a cap and suddenly I'm to be hung drawn and quartered as a traitor to...well, I'm not quite sure what. Please note: I merely said that it was around average for a cap price, I did not threaten to burn down your house, I did not cast aspersions on your manhood, I did not call you out for a fight, etc etc :lol:
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Si wrote:

Sorry, but going from discussing the pricing of clothes to statements such as this just seems totally bizarre to me. I point out that it is about average for the price of a cap and suddenly I'm to be hung drawn and quartered as a traitor to...well, I'm not quite sure what. Please note: I merely said that it was around average for a cap price, I did not threaten to burn down your house, I did not cast aspersions on your manhood, I did not call you out for a fight, etc etc :lol:

No Si. You just nit pick.
Si

Post by Si »

C'mon now my friend. Take a step back and consider what's happened here. You've posted saying that they are over priced and given a reason, I've posted to say that I think that they are about average and given a reason, and you seem to have taken this as some sort of personal insult and start questioning my loyalty (still not sure who or what I'm committing treason against here?). Then when I point out your over reaction and you start on about nit picking....now what is that all about?

To demonstrate my original point..I just typed "cycling caps" into google. The "shop for cycling caps" bit at the side came up with a selection whose prices are: £14.99, £12.60, £8.46, £14.39, £7.98, £10.99, £15.00, £21.99. Thus demonstrating that the CTC cap is in the middle range.
Likewise, I think that there are a number of people on here who have had club specific clothing made, and will vouch for the fact that a small run of club specific stuff will cost more than any manufacturer's standard offerings at that quality point.

Thus, compared to other caps, the CTC stuff does not seem overpriced to me.

Of course, some people might expect a subsidy on club kit, however there was no mention of this in your first post. If you believe that the kit should be subsidised then I suggest that you get your counsellor to raise it.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Si wrote:..is now available in a choice of MTB, standard or "vintage" designs.

LINK TO SITE .

I have placed an order and will let you know what I think of it when it comes.

Link not working for me.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

rualexander wrote:
Penfold wrote:The link to the site shown in the first post on this thread doesn't work :roll:

Quick Google reveals this one instead

http://www.impsport.com/productlist.asp ... tcatid=862

Not much point in rolling your eyes when the first post was two and a half years ago, things change!

This link doesn't work either
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Searching for ctc or cycling uk produces nothing relevant in the impsport website :roll:
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

fausto99 wrote:Searching for ctc or cycling uk produces nothing relevant in the impsport website :roll:

On the other hand, googling the entire Web for cycling uk kit gives this page as the first organic search result:

https://shop.cyclinguk.org/kit/cycling-uk-kit

- which is on (surprise!) the Cycling UK website.

It is now nine years since that Impsport link was posted.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

AndyK wrote:
fausto99 wrote:Searching for ctc or cycling uk produces nothing relevant in the impsport website :roll:

On the other hand, googling the entire Web for cycling uk kit gives this page as the first organic search result:

Thanks
Maybe the moderator for this part of the forum should remove out of date links?
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

fausto99 wrote:
AndyK wrote:

Thanks
Maybe the moderator for this part of the forum should remove out of date links?

In general I fear this wouldn't be practical as our volunteer moderators have lives to lead and bicycles to ride (at least I assume they do).

However you may have a point in this case. This thread is pinned to the top of the board, so it's very prominent, but it contains out-of-date info. Maybe the mods could un-pin it.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Agreed, a sticky should be up to date. I don't think it's any more work to update or remove the links than it would be to un-sticky it.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Link updated. Thanks for the reminder.