Taylor Wheels (Germany)

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
irc

Taylor Wheels - Germany

Post by irc »

Looking or a pair of wheels for my son's commuter which is parked in the street so decent but cheap required. I got a pair of 36 spoke Alivio hubs with Ryde Sniper Sport rims for £70 delivered from Germany. Ordered 11th June delivered 15th June. Quality looks good. Not handbuilt quality obviously but then my son is several stone lighter than me. Didn't recognise the brand of spokes. But for the price and purpose they look good.

https://www.taylor-wheels.com/taylor-wh ... ivio-black

https://www.taylor-wheels.com/taylor-wh ... ivio-black
Phil_Chadwick

Re: Taylor Wheels - Germany

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

I bought a dynohub/disc front wheel in 26" from them. It was cheaper than I could get the parts.

Well made, but it was built 3-cross and the spoke angles were a bit extreme. I had a fair bit of trouble with it after a year or so, and ended up rebuilding it myself 2-cross.

I suspect Taylor are great for wheels that are straightforward; maybe less so for more esoteric stuff.

price was excellent and delivery fast.
gaz

Re: Taylor Wheels - Germany

Post by gaz »

Late October I bought a front dynohub wheel from Taylor Wheels on ebay. DH-3N31 laced 3 cross into a 700c Ryde Zac19 with plain guage stainless spokes.

It arrived quickly and spun true. I made a half-hearted effort at a bit of stress-relieving after which it remained true which is why I expect my efforts were half-hearted.

After about 300 miles use there were the first signs of it going out of true. I gave it a few quick tweaks with the spoke key which quickly identified that all the spokes have slackened off in use. For the time being I've put a 3/4 turn of tension back in all the way round, I expect I'm still a little short of the original tension and will wind them up a little bit more when time allows.

Still pleased with my purchase.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
KTHSullivan

Taylor Wheels (Germany)

Post by KTHSullivan »

Very good service, pair of 26" 36 (2mm) front dynohub, zac 2000 rims.

Ordered Monday AM from Germany, delivered Wednesday PM!! Wheels appear well built (obviously only time will tell). Cheaper than I can buy the components in the UK.
Last edited by KTHSullivan on 22 Feb 2018, 3:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Tiberius

Re: Taylor Wheels (Germany)

Post by Tiberius »

I've had some wheels/Rohloff from Germany...Radsport-Erdman....way way cheaper than you could buy them in the UK. Lots of miles, zero issues.
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I've read mixed reviews on the Taylors, so I went with Rose bikes. I've only ridden about 30 km, so far, so good
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
fossala

Post by fossala »

MarcusT wrote:I've read mixed reviews on the Taylors, so I went with Rose bikes. I've only ridden about 30 km, so far, so good

I went with Rose for an XT/A319 build. Tension was all over the place and they obviously hadn't stressed it at all as when I did it was at least 2mm out of true. They did refund me the cost to get it trued at a LBS.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Tiberius wrote:I've had some wheels/Rohloff from Germany...Radsport-Erdman....way way cheaper than you could buy them in the UK. Lots of miles, zero issues.

Similarly, the wheels for our Circe Morpheus (20in, Alfine 11) were built by Radsport Erdmann and we're very pleased with them.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

I bought some 20" double wall wheels from Taylor's to replace the stock wheels of a folding bike as I wanted to move from a freewheel drivetrain to a higher quality freehub. Bought through ebay but they arrived without the quick-releases which they were advertised with and took sometime to get them to reply to me. It took a while to get the quick releases but I had the bonus of a headband with torch included which looked worth a few quid. The wheels themselves seem pretty good especially for the price. The Dynamix rims are ok and the freehub was the tourney entry level version. The front wheel hub was unbranded I think but seems fine. I don't know which is better the Shimano TX freehub or the Quando freehub that you find on budget wheels but I feel happier with the Shimano brand on it.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

KTHSullivan wrote:Very good service, pair of 26" 36 (2mm) front dynohub, zac 2000 rims.

Ordered Monday AM from Germany, delivered Wednesday PM!! Wheels appear well built (obviously only time will tell). Cheaper than I can buy the components in the UK.

I got pretty much the same thing as you from Taylor Wheels - 26" Shimano DN3N31 Dynohub..Zac 2000 rims/36 spokes - and this has done over 10,000 miles of commuting now over 3 years (via bumpy/muddy towpath) - So I am super impressed with mine. I am starting to wonder at what point I should consider servicing the dynohub... In the meantime I have built my own sparkly SP dynohub wheel so may pull the DN3N31 apart and check for bearing wear while it is off the bike...

I also got a rear wheel from Taylor at about the same time - Zac 19 rim this time / Deore hub / 36 spokes / 26" - and again this has been fine on my commuting route route. No heavily laden cycle camping with it yet though since I subsequently built my own Ryde Sputnik wheel for that ... however I would have no hesitation in using either or these Taylor built wheels for laden touring if I had to.

If you are happy with the standard range of hub/rim combinations that Taylor offer then I think its a safe order. Of course if you want a specific hub/rim/spoke combination then best to go to a pro wheelbuilder ... or if you are really brave have a go yourself like I did .. http://zenit-b.blogspot.com/2016/10/spu ... ld_15.html
Rich_Clements

Post by Rich_Clements »

I bought two dynohub wheels from them a few years back and have not had any issues these where Mavic A319(I think) with a Shimano Alfine dynamo.
Rich
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Any other views on them?

Reason I ask is I may need another rear wheel - will post on reasons for thinking that when more time.

Anyone any views on/experience of this wheel?

https://www.taylor-wheels.com/bike-whee ... hub-silver

Also of the Zac19 rim? - something I have never heard of.

Deore FH610 hub.

If it helps folk judge the appropriateness of the wheel for my purposes, it will be going on a quality 90s steel hybrid (quite light) which I use as a fast city bike and for day rides. Not used for loaded touring - just carrying two D locks, assorted day gubbins.
Sweep
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Have had two dynamo front wheels from them, one 700C and one for a Moulton . Both low cost and both fine. Don't know if they're machine built or not. Rose wheels are hand built - I asked them.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

You sure all of them are handbuilt?
That makes these Incredible value

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/rose-28700c ... set-716640

Which I was considering as an alternative to the Taylor zac19 - cheaper per wheel and postage can be offset better than taylor as rose sell so much other stuff.

Was thinking of opening a thread to compare them though maybe could be done here?
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote:Was thinking of opening a thread to compare them though maybe could be done here?

I've bought from both. A 20" folder rear wheel a few years ago from Taylor and recently a 700c dynamo wheel from Rose. Both were great value, not much more than the parts, though if I'd spent more elsewhere I'd have specified DB rather than the PG spokes. No regrets but both needed a bit of work before I was happy with them. Hand built doesn't mean much unless you know who's hands! That goes for my LBS as much as for buying from Germany, the only difference is ones easier than the other if you need to take them back - I'll take that chance knowing I can sort any minor issues and major ones are rare.