The Wheel Fanatyk Jobst Brandt design tensiometer (photos)

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Samuel D

The Wheel Fanatyk Jobst Brandt design tensiometer (photos)

Post by Samuel D »

I got this tool when my Californian friend, who lives in Paris, visited home and picked it up for me while he was there. It’s an extravagance, but I see it as a salute to Jobst Brandt and his idealism as much as a utilitarian object.

The basic design is by that man while Ric Hjertberg selected the components and built it. The first impression when you open the case is of the neatness of the compact, symmetrical design. It feels dense and precise in the hand. It’s also ergonomic and easy to use. The spring is light in comparison to some other meters but a little heavier than I imagined it would be. Repeatability of measurement is good, maybe because of those ball-bearing spoke rests and a good dial gauge.

You do have to zero the dial for each spoke to account for non-straight spokes, but this is easy to do with the thumb of the holding hand, keeping the other hand free to manipulate the bicycle wheel.

Nonetheless, I sometimes found it easier still to note any offset from zero and mentally add or subtract it from each measurement.

There’s probably no benefit to the extra accuracy of this tool over a cheaper one – at least if you build conservative wheels as I do – but perhaps it will last long enough that the sting of its $235 price will recede in the memory. Besides, it’s a nice conversation piece among aficionados.

Some photographs:

In the last photo, I make opening the jaw look awkward because I’m trying to hold the tool still on a table for a multi-second exposure. In use it’s easy from the other side.

Clicking any photo should give you a larger version.
Brucey

Re: The Wheel Fanatyk Jobst Brandt design tensiometer (photos)

Post by Brucey »

it looks like a nicely made tool. I guess I have always promised myself that I shall make such a thing (because I can....) and if/when I do, I shall incorporate some features that might give me a tool that suits me better.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post this, especially with such a great set of photographs.

It does look a really neat tool, well made and compact to use easily through the spokes.

Unfortunately, unlike Brucey, I do not have the facilities or skills to make such an instrument. So having to order it direct from the USA and having to add on shipping and any import duty does make it quite pricey. Though it should be there for usage for many years and outlast me. It is tempting to get one!

I too would prefer the dial version, cost and longetivity. I would hate to have to have something like this wrecked by say a leaking battery on the digital version! Though with the digital version the ability to input spoke tensions directly to a computer and supply tension graphs like some wheel builders do must be great for those that need this professionally.

Nice to know that you can zero it so simply in use.

Also nice to see that they have credited Jobst Brandt on the serial no. plate.

Always good to get impressions direct from a user.

Thank you.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

It's better value than the Swiss DT version at 318 quid.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Des49

Post by Des49 »

I have come across these too:-

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/genera ... 54383.html

Based on the Jobst Brandt design and built by apparently a guy in Macedonia.

I have contacted him by email and so far have got lots of piccies and a price of "from Euro 135". I am awaiting further details of the options as I only want a simple dial, also no info on delivery time. But he certainly has got some beautiful examples and various bearings/slider/gauge options it appears. From the limited info I have gleaned it seems he really knows what he is doing.

May be better value than importing from the US at current exch. rates.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

It reminds me very much of a tool I yearned for back in the nineties.
It was to straighten bent arrows. :)
horizon

Post by horizon »

Samuel D wrote:
There’s probably no benefit to the extra accuracy of this tool over a cheaper one – at least if you build conservative wheels as I do – but perhaps it will last long enough that the sting of its $235 price will recede in the memory. Besides, it’s a nice conversation piece among aficionados.

And yet you baulked at the cost of a dishing tool? :wink:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

I baulk at the price of a lot of things for the excellent reason that I have little money. But sometimes I splurge on nice things, especially tools that are pleasurable to use, if they’re likely to last a long time.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Samuel D wrote:I baulk at the price of a lot of things for the excellent reason that I have little money. But sometimes I splurge on nice things, especially tools that are pleasurable to use, if they’re likely to last a long time.

I think that there is something fundamental about developing skills and using tools even if the tools are expensive - it's a kind of alchemy that goes beyond just bodging to save money. So i salute your choice - for me it was a truing stand and dishing tool.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

Des49 wrote:I have come across these too:-

I have contacted him by email and so far have got lots of piccies and a price of "from Euro 135". I am awaiting further details of the options as I only want a simple dial, also no info on delivery time. But he certainly has got some beautiful examples and various bearings/slider/gauge options it appears. From the limited info I have gleaned it seems he really knows what he is doing.

I have one of these made by Filip Kralyevski, it is the most basic one he makes, analogue with an accurate Mitutoya indicator, you can zero for each spoke. The tool is very accurate and exceptionally well engineered, I can't imagine anyone making a better example of this design and given that it was gifted to the cycling world by JB is not infringing anyones copyright.
I'm pretty critical ( a professional engineer myself) so I don't comment on this lightly.
My only concern at the moment is that I am getting wildly different readings to my Park gauge, the Park is showing 70kgf when the new one is showing 100kgf. This one made by Filip is most definitely far more sensitive and exactly the same as Brandts design with the lighter spring.

I am minded to think the Park is calibrated low but unless I build a calibration device have no way of checking either.

It's interesting how the new gauge shows up differences in my build tension that the Park completely misses, much of this comes from the ability to zero the gauge on the spoke prior to deflection which is a big failing of the Park and similar meters, it's possibly down to the lighter spring too.

Mine was 135 Euro, not cheap but a fair price. I would say that anyone wanting one will likely have to wait some time, this is a hobby not a business for him and he seems to build batches when he has time.

Anyone who wants info PM me.

I hope this isn't a hijack of the excellent review of the Fanatyk thread, just an addition to the knowledge base.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

PhilD28 wrote:
Des49 wrote:I have come across these too:-

I have one of these made by Filip Kralyevski, it is the most basic one he makes, analogue with an accurate Mitutoya indicator, you can zero for each spoke. The tool is very accurate and exceptionally well engineered, I can't imagine anyone making a better example of this design and given that it was gifted to the cycling world by JB is not infringing anyones copyright.
I'm pretty critical ( a professional engineer myself) so I don't comment on this lightly.
My only concern at the moment is that I am getting wildly different readings to my Park gauge, the Park is showing 70kgf when the new one is showing 100kgf. This one made by Filip is most definitely far more sensitive and exactly the same as Brandts design with the lighter spring.

I am minded to think the Park is calibrated low but unless I build a calibration device have no way of checking either.

It's interesting how the new gauge shows up differences in my build tension that the Park completely misses, much of this comes from the ability to zero the gauge on the spoke prior to deflection which is a big failing of the Park and similar meters, it's possibly down to the lighter spring too.

Mine was 135 Euro, not cheap but a fair price. I would say that anyone wanting one will likely have to wait some time, this is a hobby not a business for him and he seems to build batches when he has time.

Anyone who wants info PM me.

I hope this isn't a hijack of the excellent review of the Fanatyk thread, just an addition to the knowledge base.

Thanks for this info, (sorry only just noticed the reply). This is reassuring, I actually ordered one a couple of weeks ago from Filip. Paid my money and am awaiting receipt, hopefully not too long...

Your deviations using the Park meter are not surprising, I found mine was well under reading, I checked tension in a fairly crude, but believe effective manner as described here:- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54115&start=45#p1213448
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Did it arrive Des?

Used it?

Views?
Sweep
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Sweep wrote:Did it arrive Des?

Used it?

Views?

Yes, took a while to arrive but this was as expected. The guy who makes them is clearly a busy chap and this is a sideline as can be fitted in. I fully understand this (being in a similar situation with my own business) and was prepared to wait. In fact he is expecting pictures from me and even though I have taken some months ago I still haven't sent them.

Yes, I have used it. It is beautifully smooth with repeatable readings (much more so than the Park tool).

I really love it, is is a beautiful piece of engineering and a joy to use. I brought a bright yellow Pelican hard case to keep it in as it deserves it.

Is it justifiable and is it needed to make better wheels? Probably not, but where needed on some of today's more dished wheels then I feel it is a good idea. I checked calibration by hanging weights from a spoke, but have it in mind to build a jig for calibration.

I am in a hurry today, but will post a couple pics later and confirm cost etc. I did spec it up to a higher grade set of bearings as these were available and stuck with a traditional dial rather than digital. The latter appeals in many ways, but I fear things could easily be ruined by leaking batteries if not used for a long time.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks des - look forward to hearing more/seeing pics.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

DO they all rely on spoke bending? How accurate or inaccurate can measuring this be, Is there more than one way of doing this? ( not considering here using a fancy dial, just measuring the bending)