Forking good job - Bob Jackson Cycles

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
bikerwaser
Posts: 350
Joined: 26 Aug 2012, 9:50am

Forking good job - Bob Jackson Cycles

Postby bikerwaser » 13 Apr 2018, 10:27am

Just wanted to share a good experience I had dealing with Bob Jackson Cycles.

I had a set of Forks on my Genesis Longitude that i wanted the steerer column extended.

I looked on the net for people to do it. After a lot of searching, I decided on contacting Bob Jackson Cycles.

I found their website clear and they had a list of prices for various jobs.

I called them up to ensure that the work needed on my forks was possible and also about the procedure.

They talked me through what was the best option and i sent the forks off to them.

Due to the holidays there was a few extra days to wait for them to be returned but I wasn't in a hurry anyway.

The forks arrived just after the holidays and they have been extended as required but actually better than my expectations.

They look like a new set of forks but to my desired requirements.

Well done Bob Jackson Cycles.

A Forking Good Job !

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/

le.voyageur
Posts: 63
Joined: 10 Jan 2017, 8:30am

Re: Forking good job

Postby le.voyageur » 13 Apr 2018, 10:47am

Thanks for sharing your positive experience about BJ.
Was it a 1" or 1 1/8th fork?
Can you post a pic of the extended fork?

Thanks

bikerwaser
Posts: 350
Joined: 26 Aug 2012, 9:50am

Re: Forking good job

Postby bikerwaser » 13 Apr 2018, 10:51am

it was 1 1/8

The fork is now fitted so you wouldn't be able to se the finish on the steerer column but believe me it is perfect.

Also I find the facility for uploading images on this forum to be a pain in the Aristotle.

Any other questions , please feel free.

philvantwo
Posts: 1120
Joined: 8 Dec 2012, 6:08pm

Re: Forking good job

Postby philvantwo » 13 Apr 2018, 11:50am

Mick F puts photos on here, yesterday there were some of his Mercian on the train. Maybe he could tell us all how to do it?

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 18465
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Forking good job

Postby Vorpal » 13 Apr 2018, 12:05pm

philvantwo wrote:Mick F puts photos on here, yesterday there were some of his Mercian on the train. Maybe he could tell us all how to do it?

He already has ;)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36594
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

User avatar
CREPELLO
Posts: 5558
Joined: 29 Nov 2008, 12:55am

Re: Forking good job - Bob Jackson Cycles

Postby CREPELLO » 13 Apr 2018, 12:35pm

Did the extension use a sleeve? How long do you think the sleeve is? Did the forks need repainting? And can I ask how much the whole job cost? Sorry, so many Q's!

I've just fitted a BBB steerer extender to my Cheviot. I'm hoping it's not going to be problematic, as I found getting the bearing pre-load a right old dog to get right. Knowing that a rebuilt steerer could be economical would be great to know. I'd always imagined that the whole steerer would need replacing, which then requires the forks to be repainted.

User avatar
Spinners
Posts: 1677
Joined: 6 Dec 2008, 6:58pm
Location: Port Talbot

Re: Forking good job - Bob Jackson Cycles

Postby Spinners » 13 Apr 2018, 1:42pm

I've had a couple of bad experiences with Bob Jackson but, fair play, they made me a lovely fork for my Thorn Cyclosportif and the silver paint exactly matched the silver on the THORN decals. Wish I'd taken a photo of it clean!

Image
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)

PH
Posts: 9605
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Forking good job - Bob Jackson Cycles

Postby PH » 13 Apr 2018, 4:21pm

CREPELLO wrote:I've just fitted a BBB steerer extender to my Cheviot.

Is that because it's been cut or wasn't it long enough in the first place? I had mine replaced by Paul Hewitt after crash damage and it's wasn't too expensive, though I can't be precise as it had a respray and some other work at the same time.

bikerwaser
Posts: 350
Joined: 26 Aug 2012, 9:50am

Re: Forking good job - Bob Jackson Cycles

Postby bikerwaser » 13 Apr 2018, 4:25pm

CREPELLO wrote:Did the extension use a sleeve? How long do you think the sleeve is? Did the forks need repainting? And can I ask how much the whole job cost? Sorry, so many Q's!

I've just fitted a BBB steerer extender to my Cheviot. I'm hoping it's not going to be problematic, as I found getting the bearing pre-load a right old dog to get right. Knowing that a rebuilt steerer could be economical would be great to know. I'd always imagined that the whole steerer would need replacing, which then requires the forks to be repainted.


I had a steerer extender on it before but, as I use it for knarly off road stuff, I didn't have full faith in the chinese extender, despite it being fine until now. I also wanted a nicer look to it and also free up the steerer for adding stuff to the "cockpit".

The forks didn't need repainting as, due to the type of fork I had, they didn't replace the steerer(info below). The whole job cost £75, which included the post back. I think the cost of posting the forks to them was £11

On their website they have a list of prices.

I asked for a rundown of what was done and this was the reply :

"A section of 1” steerer was inserted into the current steerer about 3”, Leaving a further 3” sticking out. A new section and 1 1/8” steerer was then fitted over the section of 1” steerer left sticking out.

The whole thing was drilled and brazed together. The drilling was to allow brass to flow inside the tubes and weld all three parts to each other. Should be very strong as you not only have the 1 1/8” steerer, But you have a 1” steerer inside acting as a sleeve. The whole steerer was primed and a star nut fitted inside at the top for you."

PH
Posts: 9605
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Forking good job - Bob Jackson Cycles

Postby PH » 13 Apr 2018, 4:44pm

bikerwaser wrote:The forks didn't need repainting as, due to the type of fork I had, they didn't replace the steerer(info below). The whole job cost £75, which included the post back. I think the cost of posting the forks to them was £11

Sounds like a good job and good value, I'd assumed such a repair would also need a respray, it's useful to know it doesn't.

User avatar
CREPELLO
Posts: 5558
Joined: 29 Nov 2008, 12:55am

Re: Forking good job - Bob Jackson Cycles

Postby CREPELLO » 13 Apr 2018, 9:50pm

bikerwaser wrote:<snip>

Useful info, thanks Bikerwaser
PH wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:I've just fitted a BBB steerer extender to my Cheviot.

Is that because it's been cut or wasn't it long enough in the first place? I had mine replaced by Paul Hewitt after crash damage and it's wasn't too expensive, though I can't be precise as it had a respray and some other work at the same time.
I'm just less flexible than I used to be. TBH, even back then, I had the steerer too low (6cm between headset and stem on the large frame size, saddle quite a bit higher), but I disliked the Thorn 'spacer stack' look, even though I had it to a certain extent. However with time passing and a more realistic approach now means I can do sensible things like admire the scenery :D