Use your LBS?

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Bonefishblues

Re: Use your LBS?

Post by Bonefishblues »

hondated wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote: The local Halfords I have found much better - including loaning tools, which was exceptional, I thought.

Halfords seem to get slated by many for efficiency but I have to say my local one is very good as all the staff have extremely helpful.
I also think that it is worth mentioning that they employ ex prison offenders and its great to know that they are giving these people another chance in life as many companies don't.

I didn't know that. Timpsons is another company who give ex offenders a chance.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

hondated wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote: The local Halfords I have found much better - including loaning tools, which was exceptional, I thought.

Halfords seem to get slated by many for efficiency but I have to say my local one is very good as all the staff have extremely helpful.
I also think that it is worth mentioning that they employ ex prison offenders and its great to know that they are giving these people another chance in life as many companies don't.

+1 for employing ex-prisoners, it is good PR too (not meant cynically!)
Just read about an organisation helping ex-offenders in Germany, allegedly it is relatively easy for them to get jobs in 'logistics'
But some people are jailed because they could not pay the fine for using a train without a ticket (€ 60)
A perverse way to ruin their lives IMHO
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Image[/URL]

Many years ago there was a small, but reputable bike shop called "Butlers" that lived on this corner

They moved to a larger demise and a couple of the staff decided to investigate the possibility of selling on. the internet as well as from the shop.

They are still in Portsmouth, but in bigger premises|:

It is a little frustrating, I have access to almost any part I want, and cycled past every day, but still had to have things posted as there is no way to collect

I bought a pair of panniers once, and because they used a courier, I ended up collecting form a depot in Havant, some 6 miles further away than Wiggle
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I use my LBS.
I bought my bike there, and have it serviced once a year there. They have always done a 100% job for me.
They are reluctant to service bikes they haven't built. I understand that this annoys some people, but their workshop is always very busy and they see it as their duty to look after bikes they have sold, which seems fair enough. They also know that way they can get any parts easily, as the parts will be coming from someone they already deal with. As a small shop, you can't stock/order everything. They will do repairs.
When I buy something there, I get their advice, which has always turned out to be spot-on, and if necessary, they will fit things for me, even if they are busy.

The only time I buy elsewhere (even if it is cheaper) is if I want something specific they can't get, and I always give them a chance to order things they don't have in stock.
I think they are getting it just about right. And I dread my 'medium-term upcoming' house move, because I will have to find another one as good, and I'll be very lucky if I do.

No parking because of the location, in the centre of a terrace with a narrow pavement, but there are racks at both ends of the (short) street, and they never mind you taking your bike in the shop.