Bike purchase gone wrong : sold a 2016 model : expecting 2018 : now what?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Smiffo221

Bike purchase gone wrong : sold a 2016 model : expecting 2018 : now what?

Post by Smiffo221 »

Hi,
Two weeks ago I bought a whyte whitechapel bike from my LBS for full retail price on finance. Since then I've found out it's a 2016 model (they never told me) obviously not happy about this as I would of never paid for price.

Contacted LBS and they have said will give a £100 credit note. I want take it back for a 2018 version but they are refusing to do so. What can I do?

Thanks
Last edited by Graham on 25 May 2018, 6:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
gaz

Re: Advice needed please

Post by gaz »

Your consumer rights are set out in the Consumer Rights Act 2015, summarised here.

You may also have rights against the finance provider under Section 75 of the CCA, summarised here.

From the limited information provided I would feel you are in a strong position if it was described (and hopefully documented) as a 2018 model when you bought it. If it wasn't, things don't seem so clear cut to me. Failing to tell you about faults would be an issue. Failing to tell you it's NOS, perhaps not.

Speak to your local Trading Standards Office.
freiston

Re: Bike purchase gone wrong : sold a 2016 model : expecting 2018 : now what?

Post by freiston »

What's the difference in specs? More than £100 worth? A quick look with Google and the only difference I can find is the rear changer - Acera on the 2016 and Altus on the 2018. The available 2016 models I found for sale were only about £50 cheaper (I did see one for £100 cheaper but there were no indications of availability and only "large" size listed).
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Had a similar issue with a dinghy few years back. If it was described as 2016 then you have no recourse. If any other date then you have a right to a full refund. If they claim it was a typo - still no defence, you can still legally have full refund.

In my case, and I suspect your's, there was no date given, but I was led to believe it was a certain age (as perhaps you were when you assumed 2018 (did they suggest this or say nothing?)) When I established it wasn't the age they suggested, they tried to claim they had made a mistake, but that they weren't liable as 'it was an honest mistake guv'. My friendly Crown Prosecution Lawyer suggested otherwise, and they reluctantly gave me a full refund.

If you have bought on credit (and sounds like you have), then the credit company is jointly liable, and will hopefully apply pressure to the retailer if you kick up a fuss with them.

The other option, especially if you don't intend using the LBS again, is to name a same if they have Facebook, Twitter etc - can work wonders if you don't need to use their services again, but be prepared for the fall out, especially if you will use there services again in the future

Hope it all works out
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

They are almost identical, the 2018 has internal cable routing, the 2018 has a 11-36 cassette, the 2016 11-34, and then the 2018 has a slightly inferior rear derailleur.

If they didn't promise a 2018 model, it's not clear that the 2016 model is inferior at all, so £100 credit seems more than fair.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

To me the fact they have offered £100 is a admission of fault ? (there must be a better word but you may get my meaning)
You obviously expected a current model and not one that is 2 years old.
You could try Citizens Advice for help.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thelawnet wrote:They are almost identical, the 2018 has internal cable routing, the 2018 has a 11-36 cassette, the 2016 11-34, and then the 2018 has a slightly inferior rear derailleur.

If they didn't promise a 2018 model, it's not clear that the 2016 model is inferior at all, so £100 credit seems more than fair.

There's much more than £100 difference in value between the two bikes. It's a year thing...
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
The frame changed in 2017, "For 2017 we have a new frame, featuring a brand new front triangle with internal cable routing, BBX and new slimed down seat stays to give even more comfort." (Their spelling of "slimmed", not mine :) https://www.whyte.bike/s/WHITECHAPEL-2017.pdf)
Acera v Altus as pointed out above
I'm not sure about the difference in brake models
The acid test for me is that I'd be asking less for a 2016 model sold second-hand, than a 2018 model sold second-hand
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
PH

Post by PH »

I think Gaz had it covered in the first post, you get 30 days to reject something that isn’t as described. I think rejecting because you made an assumption that you later found to be incorrect isn’t covered,
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Is the bike fit for your purpose and unused? If so, what does the year matter? (I could understand if it was a fashionable frock you were after).

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pete75

Post by pete75 »

tim-b wrote:The acid test for me is that I'd be asking less for a 2016 model sold second-hand, than a 2018 model sold second-hand
Regards
tim-b

It's not a car where year is oh so important. Second Hand bikes are usually priced on condition not year of manufacture.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
fossala

Post by fossala »

Just looked at the cost of the bike, I think £100 off is fair.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
tim-b wrote:The acid test for me is that I'd be asking less for a 2016 model sold second-hand, than a 2018 model sold second-hand
Regards
tim-b

It's not a car where year is oh so important. Second Hand bikes are usually priced on condition not year of manufacture.

I don't agree, particularly if OP wanted to sell on quickly for some reason, hence my comment.

This is based on my second hand purchase of a Whyte Cambridge after a month or two of monitoring second hand prices.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cugel wrote:Is the bike fit for your purpose and unused?....

I wonder if the "unused" is important for a practical solution (i.e. not talking about legal rights). If the bike has been transported home in a car and spent it's life sitting indoors not having been ridden would make it is different proposition to having spent every day since leaving the shop hammering up and down gravel tracks ...

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Regards
tim-b

I don't agree, particularly if OP wanted to sell on quickly for some reason, hence my comment.

This is based on my second hand purchase of a Whyte Cambridge after a month or two of monitoring second hand prices.

Look at the bikes for sale adverts on here. Very few mention the year of the bike. If it was important it would always be mentioned.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker