Halfords Tyre Liners.

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Retour64

Halfords Tyre Liners.

Post by Retour64 »

I was foolish enough to buy this item, as I was at the end of my tether with punctures from thorns on a bridleway where the landowner had flailed the hedge and not cleared up the thorns.
The result of this was firstly a very harsh ride and secondly a puncture after two weeks caused by the edge of the puncture strip. Thirdly the strip frayed the carcass of the tyre which could have caused a major blowout.

I gave it a stinking review on the Halfords website and when I look, a month later, all the reviews have disappeared as it says 'be the first to write a review'.

My review was not the only bad one.

In my opinion do not use the Bikehut Tyre liners because in my experience they destroy your inner tubes and tyres even when fitted properly.
Also I would ask Halfords to show some integrity and truthfully show the honest reviews of a sub-standard product. Preferably I wish they would withdraw the product before someone is injured.
'The nasty cyclist'
peetee

Re: Halfords Tyre Liners.

Post by peetee »

Tried something similar back in the mid 80s with the same results. Hard to believe those sorts of things are still available.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I used to use a worn tyre as a liner, cut the beads out and shorten by a couple of cm, had very few punctures
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Liners have been destroying tubes and tyres for decades - people never learn.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Retour64

Post by Retour64 »

One of the points I am trying to point out is that 'people do not learn' but it looks like Halfords are preventing new potential customers fom learning from the experience of others by deleting the reviews.
'The nasty cyclist'
peetee

Post by peetee »

I take your point but proving that something is inherently unsellable on safety grounds is difficult. In theory they should work but my experience suggests the real problem is they are almost impossible to fit perfectly and as such the probability of the inner tube tucking under an edge that should be perfectly flat against the tyre carcass is very high. As such, just as a tube pinched in the tyre bead when fitted would be (and who has never done that?), a blowout is inevitable sooner or later.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.