Wahoo Elemnt

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Psamathe
Posts: 10380
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Wahoo Elemnt

Postby Psamathe » 24 Sep 2018, 8:38pm

Bez wrote:
Psamathe wrote:Ride with GPS is a weird way and seems to completely change the behaviour of the Elemnt. If you provide the app with your Ride With GPS credentials the Elemnt UI undergoes changes as well.


In what way? I must admit I never tried using it without RWGPS; that was one of the selling points for me (and it worked extremely well in that respect).

When Wahoo's infrastructure went down I registered and tried using RWGPS. Trouble was it gave such rubbish routes I decided I was better off navigating "the traditional way". Some of the options and screen elements change. I no longer have the device (I have money in the bank instead <insert smiley face>) so can't set-up again to test and any more detailed description would be prone to my poor recollection.

When their infrastructure was not working, what was happening was on the smartphone you'd "send" the route to the Wahoo app, it would appear in their app and would download mapping to allow you to see it and then 30 secs to 1 min later (so so) it would disappear from the Wahoo smartphone app.

Ian

Bez
Posts: 1196
Joined: 10 Feb 2015, 10:41am
Contact:

Re: Wahoo Elemnt

Postby Bez » 24 Sep 2018, 8:50pm

Thanks.

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 840
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: Wahoo Elemnt

Postby 100%JR » 25 Sep 2018, 12:14am

Bez wrote:Keep it alive, please, I'm still interested :)

I recall my Bolt syncing (ie downloading) RWGPS routes in the field, ie via Bluetooth from my phone which had a 3G/4G connection, not over wifi. Maybe I'm mistaken…?

No you’re not mistaken.
I’ve just done that at work just to be sure I wasn’t wrong.The route has synced from RWGPS App to Wahoo App.No wi-fi needed.I thought so.
@Psamathe.
Although I’ve only tried the Bolt navigation once I’ve uploaded quite a few routes from RWGPS,Strava just to see if they uploaded and how many routes it would hold.
I know exactly how easy it is to load a route.
I plotted and uploaded 7 routes for our Mallorca trip in May but didn’t need to use them.
Just out of curiosity:-
What phone were you using?
Did you plot the route yourself or download it off a third party site?
If the route wasn’t created by you are you sure it wasn’t corrupt?(On our first trip to Mallorca two years ago 5 of our party all used a GPX file emailed to them by a friend and all 5 Garmins crashed at the same point.Obviously a corrupt GPX file)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Boardman CX Comp
We hate "speed" Cameras Fracking is the future.

Psamathe
Posts: 10380
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Wahoo Elemnt

Postby Psamathe » 25 Sep 2018, 9:53am

ibbo68 wrote:
Bez wrote:Keep it alive, please, I'm still interested :)

I recall my Bolt syncing (ie downloading) RWGPS routes in the field, ie via Bluetooth from my phone which had a 3G/4G connection, not over wifi. Maybe I'm mistaken…?

No you’re not mistaken.
I’ve just done that at work just to be sure I wasn’t wrong.The route has synced from RWGPS App to Wahoo App.No wi-fi needed.I thought so.
@Psamathe.
Although I’ve only tried the Bolt navigation once I’ve uploaded quite a few routes from RWGPS,Strava just to see if they uploaded and how many routes it would hold.
I know exactly how easy it is to load a route.
I plotted and uploaded 7 routes for our Mallorca trip in May but didn’t need to use them.
Just out of curiosity:-
What phone were you using?
Did you plot the route yourself or download it off a third party site?
If the route wasn’t created by you are you sure it wasn’t corrupt?(On our first trip to Mallorca two years ago 5 of our party all used a GPX file emailed to them by a friend and all 5 Garmins crashed at the same point.Obviously a corrupt GPX file)

I am not going to argue with you further. I posted my experiences to help others and I get "Did you familiarise yourself with the ins and outs before your trip?" back from you. As I said (and having worked in software development on small mobile devices all my far too long career) I did familiarise myself with the device, did use it navigating on a daily basis for over a month, did discuss the loading issues with Wahoo, etc. - though you question that so ... goodbye.

I will happily answer questions regarding my experiences from others.

Ian

Richard Fairhurst
Posts: 1394
Joined: 2 Mar 2008, 4:57pm
Location: Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Re: Wahoo Elemnt

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 25 Sep 2018, 9:58am

ibbo68 wrote:If the route wasn’t created by you are you sure it wasn’t corrupt?(On our first trip to Mallorca two years ago 5 of our party all used a GPX file emailed to them by a friend and all 5 Garmins crashed at the same point.Obviously a corrupt GPX file)


Definitely not "obviously"! Garmin units are very, very fussy about how GPXs are formatted - above and beyond what the spec actually says. I would be more tempted to point fingers at Garmin in cases like this.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

Psamathe
Posts: 10380
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Wahoo Elemnt

Postby Psamathe » 25 Sep 2018, 10:34am

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
ibbo68 wrote:If the route wasn’t created by you are you sure it wasn’t corrupt?(On our first trip to Mallorca two years ago 5 of our party all used a GPX file emailed to them by a friend and all 5 Garmins crashed at the same point.Obviously a corrupt GPX file)


Definitely not "obviously"! Garmin units are very, very fussy about how GPXs are formatted - above and beyond what the spec actually says. I would be more tempted to point fingers at Garmin in cases like this.

Comment was directed at me and routes (plural not just a "one off") failed to load over quite a few days, routes I'd previously navigated ok would not load and Wahoo admitted to there being a problem their dev team were seeking to sort out.

My impression of the Wahoo software and the way it "fits together" is that is was not "designed" and "implemented" but that existing libraries and tools were bolted/cobbled together and the "design" was more determined by available (3rd party) software libraries and tools.

Ian

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 840
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: Wahoo Elemnt

Postby 100%JR » 25 Sep 2018, 2:11pm

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
ibbo68 wrote:If the route wasn’t created by you are you sure it wasn’t corrupt?(On our first trip to Mallorca two years ago 5 of our party all used a GPX file emailed to them by a friend and all 5 Garmins crashed at the same point.Obviously a corrupt GPX file)

Definitely not "obviously"! Garmin units are very, very fussy about how GPXs are formatted - above and beyond what the spec actually says. I would be more tempted to point fingers at Garmin in cases like this.

As there were three different units involved,Edge 800,810 and 820,we put it down to a corrupt file as the maps all threw a wobbly within a few metres of each other?
Canyon Ultimate CF SL
Boardman CX Comp
We hate "speed" Cameras Fracking is the future.

Psamathe
Posts: 10380
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Wahoo Elemnt

Postby Psamathe » 25 Sep 2018, 2:14pm

For you info, Wahoo's response to my report
Dillon (Wahoo Fitness Support)
Jul 23, 12:45 PM EDT

Hey Ian,
Thank you for contacting us and I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue with route file import. This is an issue that our team is aware of and is actively working to correct. While we do not have an exact time for a fix at the moment it is a priority for our development team and we hope to have it resolved in the near future.

Since we have an open ticket with our development team, all customer service tickets related to the issue (including this one) will be marked as “On-Hold” and merged with the developer ticket to be monitored internally. This process allows us to send automatic notifications when changes are complete. Full release notes are posted on https://support.wahoofitness.com

Be sure to keep your app and device up-to-date to receive the fix, when available.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience and support as we strive to serve you better. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns in the meantime.

Ian

User avatar
Si
Moderator
Posts: 15019
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 7:37pm

Re: Wahoo Elemnt

Postby Si » 25 Sep 2018, 4:27pm

More ill thought out posts removed. OK, from now on please just factually list your own experience of the item and do not comment on other people's otherwise the thread may be sent to bed without any milk and biscuits first.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17198
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Wahoo Elemnt

Postby Vorpal » 28 Sep 2018, 7:59am

Si wrote:More ill thought out posts removed. OK, from now on please just factually list your own experience of the item and do not comment on other people's otherwise the thread may be sent to bed without any milk and biscuits first.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom