Bryton Rider 10 GPS Bike computer.

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Durgemeister

Bryton Rider 10 GPS Bike computer.

Post by Durgemeister »

After I started riding again in 2016, my brother - who, for the same reasons I started cycling, started running - gave me his old Garmin Forerunner 305 watch. I would then strap it to the handle-bars as a bike computer. However by the time I got it, the battery already had to be charged up for every use, and when it got the the point where it would switch off after only about 30 minutes, I stopped using it.

Obvious solution was to switch over to using a Phone App, but I only have a cheapo Smartphone that struggles to cope sometimes with the Strava App. For example, on a couple of occasions, the App "froze" for a few minutes, and thus jumped straight from the point where it last worked, to where it picked up again, without recording anything in between.

After a fair amount of research, starting from the idea that it had to be compatible with Strava, I opted for the Bryton Rider 10, for about £50.

Out of the box
First issue ? It wasn't White as advertised!!. Really couldn't give a monkey's about the colour though, it is there to record my rides.

Secondly, it was sent to me "Dead", with no charge at all. Thankfully, as it says to charge it via a computer USB socket, a Windows PC recognises it as a "Mass-storage Device" shortly after plugging it in. It is not made clear whether it is NOT okay to use a phone charger, or power-bank, but I have, and it still works.

I was surprised to discover that it included a Cadence sensor. I unfortunately lost it a few days after getting it, and despite knowing roughly where it was (One advantage of the GPS !!) I couldn't find it. I wasn't really bothered again, I am only interested in where, how far, and how quick. N.B. it isn't a design fault of the cadence sensor, it was a dumb mistake, I fitted it the wrong way, i.e. On the outside of the crank, where my foot and leg can be in contact with.

As recommended, I took time to study the manual, and get used to the device. That said, the manual doesn't quite go into enough detail, for example shows some, but not all of the Icons, including a thermometer symbol (It has a built-in Barometer).

As for the associated Phone App, you don't actually need it, you can upload the data to your PC etc. However there are some settings, like being able to link your Strava account, and even customising the Data displays. Plus of course being able to upload your activity via Bluetooth. It isn't perfect, many people complain about the app, and I have on occasions had to restart my phone to get it to work. Also, recently it has been telling me an update is available, but the desktop update tool is telling me otherwise, so I will have to look into that.

Out on the road
So you stick the computer in it's mounting (I place mine of course on the handlebar), and switch it on. Obviously, it has to be able to pick up the Satellites, so if you are in a building that doesn't, go outside first. I have seen it mentioned about using the App to do an Altitude calibration each time, but I am not sure it is actually necessary. You can also set it up to show you have messages or an incoming call, via Bluetooth, but I have never used it.

It is then - once the satellites are picked up, which doesn't take too long - merely a case of pressing start, and go. As mentioned, you can customise the display to display the data you want, or you can cycle through the different data screens as needed. Plus of course, if needed, you do have a back-light.

Battery life is good - for me at least - and it reckons about 8 to 10 hours, depending on how easy it is to locate Satellites. There is only 3 "Bars" displayed, so only a rough idea of how charged it is. Apparently it can run while be charged, so it needed, you can use a powerbank on the good.

Overall, I am happy with it. As a means to record your activities simply, and upload the data without having to plug it into a computer, it works fine.