Sports direct

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
NUKe

Re: Sports direct

Post by NUKe »

But the sizing of most cycle stuff is a joke. When I buy shirts, jumpers in normal clothes I am medium, or large if I want a more relaxed fit, some brands of cycling clothes I am XL and snug. Cycle clothing has always been this way, Since the rise of the Mamil a couple of Brands have done more relaxed sizing.
NUKe

Post by pjclinch »

Sizing of cycling shoes... I'm generally a EU 43. My Bontragers are an EU 43. My previous Diadoras were actually a 42.

My wife uses Shimanos, and they are 41 for her usual 41. But Shimanos are so lacking in width where I need it that I have to go a couple of sizes up, at which point they have far too much space ahead of the toe. I'm okay in Shimano sandals at 43, but there's very little upper to rub, of course, and what there is is easily resized with velcro straps.

When my son was starting to get in to track racing we got him a pair of Muddy Fox road shoes in Sports Direct. They weren't perfect but for £12 what do you expect? Very good value, although of course the cost was more than doubled by putting a pair of cleats on!

I dislike shopping at SD a lot, it's a soul-sucker of a shop. But if you want a basic item (e.g. a wee rucksack for your child's school bag) where there's not much to gain being a Gear Junkie the prices are very low. Most of the stuff I've bought in there has been for the kids, on the grounds that they could be relied on to grow out of it in 6 months (or lose interest) so buying something to last doesn't make so much sense.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
atoz

Post by atoz »

JohnW wrote:
4waydriver wrote:Having visited my local sports direct, I have returned all the items I purchased. Nothing fits, advised that everyone buys cycling shoes a size bigger than normal? This suggests to me that their sizes are wrong. Tights and jerseys are far too small for the stated sizes. Anyone else used kit from here ?

That's certainly my experience - absolutely. However, on a visit to the store I can easily try everything that I want to buy - never had a problem with that. I've certainly found that quoted shoe sizes are a joke; however, I only buy cheapo shoes from Sports Direct, for comparatively short term use from them (i.e. the heels don't last long!) The cycling jerseys I find to be good value for money, and very serviceable. It's true though - I don't go by quoted sizes - I try them on first.

I have used some thin soled, excellently profiled cheapo shoes. They're perfectly OK for cycling - 200mile days without even noticing that I'm wearing them. They have thin, flat soles, narrow heels that [url][/url]don't catch the cranks as I'm pedalling, smooth uppers that don't snag on the toe-clips (I ride clips-n'-straps). I do stress, that the quoted sizes are a joke and I was initially amazed at the quoted size that seemed to fit my feet. However, they stretch to fit the foot, and shoes that fit new are slack ant too long before their first day is over. I've found by experiment which size of that particular range is best for me - seem tight to start with but ease to fit me very quickly. If it sounds expensive to experiment, they're only about £25 and can be worn for mucking about until they're worn out. Leather uppers!

None of this is best, upper quality stuff - can't beat Evans for that, but it's serviceable stuff for the price, and I find Sports Direct an asset.

I'm not suggesting what others should do, I'm just saying what works for me.

The problem has a lot to do with a lack of understanding of international clothing and footwear sizes. I would advise anyone to check the easily available sizing charts on the internet. For example, I take a UK size 8 in shoes. However, most cycling footwear is not made in the UK. In my case I was wearing today Shimano MT34 shoes which are marked as EU size 43, US 8.9 and CM 27.2. The latter 27.2 size is a standard way of sizing trainers and is pretty reliable, especially for shoes from the Far East (which most sport shoes are these days). I have a pair of DeFeet socks that come out in summer- these are a US size large - see this wiggle chart - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/defeet-aireator-hi-vis-d-logo-socks/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360717918&kpid=5360717918&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|sU88eKOV8_dc|mcrid|295297463276|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360717918uk|mslid||&mkwid=sU88eKOV8_dc&pcrid=295297463276&prd=5360717918uk&pgrid=60973418042&ptaid=pla-522115524891&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyuGTwPm93wIVirDtCh24oQ53EAQYAiABEgLgIPD_BwE.

See this trainer size chart from Asics at https://www.asics.com/gb/en-gb/shoe-size-guide/ as a guide. Compare with Clark's sizing charts at https://www.clarks.co.uk/fitguide#sizecharts but of course they are for shoes, not trainers..

Understanding your clothing sizes is very important when buying online. Actually for male clothing this is less of a problem. My female friends and colleagues are quick to tell me how lucky men are with sizing- at least ours are not based on dress sizes. One marque's size 12 can be another's size 14- then there is the issue of hip, length, etc. Women's fashion is big business online, and despite the sizing issues, these businesses turn around serious money- you just have to know what your size really is. Charts are always available from these types of suppliers. They often have a mirror image mens online fashion presence, and the charts can be very helpful Also bear in mind that cycle clothing that is "form fitting" ie a race fit, will fit tightly. Women's clothing is mostly form fitting of course.

There is nothing new about sizing variation. When I have been lucky enough to get Castelli clothing at reduced prices, i take an XL in a long sleeved winter jersey- everyone else it is no bigger than L. Short sleeve jerseys are normally L, except some Altura which can be M. Shorts are usually L except some eg Castelli and Santini. In a roubaix short I can be either L or XL depending on fit- you need to check the charts for the manufacturer. Any decent manufacturer will make this available one way or another- either on their website or online supplier. If you can't find reliable info, don't buy.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

atoz wrote:...If you can't find reliable info, don't buy.

Or be prepared to factor possible return postage in as a bit of a bet on how the price is so low, or as an occupational hazard of geography if you can only realistically get stuff delivered.

If you can try something on in person before purchase I personally regard that as a luxury worth paying extra for, but sometimes it just can't be done.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

pjclinch wrote:

Or be prepared to factor possible return postage in as a bit of a bet on how the price is so low, or as an occupational hazard of geography if you can only realistically get stuff delivered.

If you can try something on in person before purchase I personally regard that as a luxury worth paying extra for, but sometimes it just can't be done.

Pete.

I've only ever bought footwear and cycling tops/jackets/waterproofs from Sports Direct, and always been able to try them in the shop. I've never bought shorts/jogging bottoms etc from them - I don't know whether they have trying-on rooms. Maybe different branches have different facilities. To be honest, I don't find the shops pleasant places to be, but ".......sufficient unto the day thereof.....", if you see what I mean.

The only clothes that I've ever bought by post has been cycling jerseys from GB Cycles, and never had a sizing problem with them.

I understand that the Sports Direct owner has now bought Evans................am I right? I hope that the ethos of Evans doesn't deteriorate - I've always found them splendid to deal with.
atoz

Post by atoz »

JohnW wrote:
pjclinch wrote:

Pete.

I've only ever bought footwear and cycling tops/jackets/waterproofs from Sports Direct, and always been able to try them in the shop. I've never bought shorts/jogging bottoms etc from them - I don't know whether they have trying-on rooms. Maybe different branches have different facilities. To be honest, I don't find the shops pleasant places to be, but ".......sufficient unto the day thereof.....", if you see what I mean.

The only clothes that I've ever bought by post has been cycling jerseys from GB Cycles, and never had a sizing problem with them.

I understand that the Sports Direct owner has now bought Evans................am I right? I hope that the ethos of Evans doesn't deteriorate - I've always found them splendid to deal with.

I suspect Evans is having a few problems. My guess is they will ditch the high stree presence. It's a pity, but that's retail these days. They are overpriced, but there again that's no unusual with some cycle shops- not proper local dealers who are more realstic and actually do customer service. Hopefully they will stay in business, if I and a lot of other cyclists have anyting to do with it. Here's hoping..
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

atoz wrote:.....................I suspect Evans is having a few problems. My guess is they will ditch the high stree presence. It's a pity......................Hopefully they will stay in business, if I and a lot of other cyclists have anyting to do with it. Here's hoping..

It would certainly be a pity - I must say that I'm hoping too..........................
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

My cycle does vary from a size 11 to size 15 depending on Manufacturer

It is a feature of the whole clothing industry
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Some few years ago, I had a derailleur failure on the way in to work

No problem as I have Wiggle - mahoosive dealer just down the road.

Unfortunately they cannot do anything apart from internet order, even if I order on line they cannot physically give it to me

So I ordered from St John Street to get the parts I needed by mail

One of the problems with no High Street presence
pwa

Post by pwa »

Sports Direct is the sort of retailer that puts me off STUFF generally. I'd almost rather go naked than get something from them. They reinforce my inclination to turn my back on consumerism and live a simpler life with less clutter. Including bike stuff. I left the treadmill of wanting the latest bike stuff twenty years ago, and that was a relief. What a farce that was.
Proofer

Post by Proofer »

Hi, bought some Muddyfox Tour 100 shoes from Sports Direct, after about 18 months or 700 miles or so the SPD mounting plate on the right shoe has come away and is protruding out of the sole, the thing is I use them with flat pedals (never liked the idea of cleats), managed to ease it back and then used duct tape to patch them up.

Maybe best avoided?
irc

Post by irc »

Most of their stuff is cheap and cheerful sometimes poor quality but sometimes there is the odd gem. I bought a folding closed cell foam mat for £10 when the branded big name option was £30. Closed cell foam is closed cell foam. Their big mugs are the ideal size for microwaving a can of soup in. I bought a Lazer Competition tent in a sale so cheap that after using it a couple of times I sold it easily on Ebay at a slight profit after deciding I didn't like it.

But shoes? They don't do sizes big enough for me. I'd rather buy bands like Shimano or Specialized as it would be pain if a shoe failed mid tour.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I have little reason to go in Sports Direct these days.

And must admit it just reminds me of the sad sad fate of Karrimor.

Some folk on here might be interested in this tent from their direct online sale arm:

https://www.sportsdirect.com/wild-count ... e=78307716
Sweep
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Now that I think about it,I've never been in a Sports Direct store,can't say I've ever felt the need to :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Sweep wrote:................. it just reminds me of the sad sad fate of Karrimor.............

Sweep - my ignorance knows no bounds, but there's something I don't know about here. What happened?