Sports direct

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Sweep

Re: Sports direct

Post by Sweep »

JohnW wrote:
Sweep wrote:................. it just reminds me of the sad sad fate of Karrimor.............

Sweep - my ignorance knows no bounds, but there's something I don't know about here. What happened?

Initially sold I think to a south african investment outfit that shut the clayton le moors factory (fond memories of visiting its factory shop where I bought a very nice pertex top which I then lost from a pannier years later) but continued to, fraudulently in my opinion, plaster the union jack across all of its advertising and products.

Then (maybe with stuff in between) ended up as a brand with Sports direct to basically plonk on assorted nasty plastic stuff.

In truth it doesn't exist any more.

Years and years ago I met a foreign woman who revered her Karrimor rucksack - such was the company's reputation.
Sweep
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Sweep wrote:
JohnW wrote:
Sweep wrote:................. it just reminds me of the sad sad fate of Karrimor.............

Sweep - my ignorance knows no bounds, but there's something I don't know about here. What happened?

Initially sold I think to a south african investment outfit that shut the clayton le moors factory (fond memories of visiting its factory shop where I bought a very nice pertex top which I then lost from a pannier years later) but continued to, fraudulently in my opinion, plaster the union jack across all of its advertising and products.

Then (maybe with stuff in between) ended up as a brand with Sports direct to basically plonk on assorted nasty plastic stuff.

In truth it doesn't exist any more.

Years and years ago I met a foreign woman who revered her Karrimor rucksack - such was the company's reputation.

Thanks Sweep. If that was common knowledge, I missed it. It shows how much notice I take. A sorry tale, isn't it, but sadly similar stories are all too common. I still have Karrimor rucksack from the 'halcyon' days. Thanks a again.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Karrimor are indeed not their former selves. At the end the "proper Karrimor" folk, led by Mike Parsons, spun off the mountain marathon side as a separate venture, and what was the KIMM (Karrimor Interantional Mountain Marathon) with participants often using KIMMLite gear became The OMM (Original Mountain Marathon). So if you want Karrimor innovation and quality as of 30-40 years ago, look at OMM

(I use an OMM Kamleika jacket as a cycling waterproof, very good it is too despite it being notionally for running)

As well as Karrimor, Field & Trek, who were the shop to go to for outdoor gear back in the 80s, and one of the leading options in the 90s. Also made pretty good own-brand stuff in the "not the very best, but excellent value" market tier. Now just a sign in the corner of Sports Direct where the Karrimor stuff is piled high and sold cheap.

Having said all that, if you want a cheap fleece for gardening or a basic daysack etc. they're fine, because that's not rocket science. Got a pair of Muddy Fox cycling shoes for my son there when he was doing track racing that were fine for a once-a-week beginner, they cost substantially less than the cleats!

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

pjclinch wrote:Karrimor are indeed not their former selves. At the end the "proper Karrimor" folk, led by Mike Parsons, spun off the mountain marathon side as a separate venture, and what was the KIMM (Karrimor Interantional Mountain Marathon) with participants often using KIMMLite gear became The OMM (Original Mountain Marathon). So if you want Karrimor innovation and quality as of 30-40 years ago, look at OMM

(I use an OMM Kamleika jacket as a cycling waterproof, very good it is too despite it being notionally for running)

As well as Karrimor, Field & Trek, who were the shop to go to for outdoor gear back in the 80s, and one of the leading options in the 90s. Also made pretty good own-brand stuff in the "not the very best, but excellent value" market tier. Now just a sign in the corner of Sports Direct where the Karrimor stuff is piled high and sold cheap.

Having said all that, if you want a cheap fleece for gardening or a basic daysack etc. they're fine, because that's not rocket science. Got a pair of Muddy Fox cycling shoes for my son there when he was doing track racing that were fine for a once-a-week beginner, they cost substantially less than the cleats!

Pete.

Thank for that, as well Pete. I just don't keep track of these things. Heaven forbid that anything similar would happed to Carradice!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Sweep
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Imagine shopping at Sports Direct for an Everest expedition! Chris Bonnington wore Karrimor on his early ascents. I have a Karrimor bumbag which I've had for over 20 years. I still use it..
John
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Oldjohnw wrote:Imagine shopping at Sports Direct for an Everest expedition! Chris Bonnington wore Karrimor on his early ascents. I have a Karrimor bumbag which I've had for over 20 years. I still use it..

There is only so much market for Everest expeditions, to be fair...

If you want very good quality British-built packs (and now bikepacking bags too) that will last and last, have a look at Aiguille Alpine. My winter hillwalking day-pack is one of theirs and I've been most impressed. Unfussy, very well built, everything on it is useful, comfortable.

I've never seen fit to replace my 30 year old Lowe expedition pack: not only is it still in great shape but I've yet to try anything I regarded as significantly better despite all sorts of "advances". Current big Aiguilles are the closest thing on the market to it.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...