Sports direct

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
4waydriver

Sports direct

Post by 4waydriver »

Having visited my local sports direct, I have returned all the items I purchased. Nothing fits, advised that everyone buys cycling shoes a size bigger than normal? This suggests to me that their sizes are wrong. Tights and jerseys are far too small for the stated sizes. Anyone else used kit from here ?
backnotes

Re: Sports direct

Post by backnotes »

Are you comparing Sports Direct with other places you have bought the same brands from? A particular model of Shimano cycling shoe in e.g. size 44 will be the same size wherever you get it?

I usually find that cycling clothes need to be at least one size larger than "normal" clothes (except Castelli, where it is at least two sizes larger), and that shoes sometimes need to be half to one size bigger than "normal" shoes to be wide enough, because my feet were obviously not designed for cycling. This seems to apply across all brands.

I think Sports Direct may buy in ends of ranges, so a shoe that is 70% off might be a make / design people haven't got on with for assorted reasons, potentially including fit.

At the risk of stating the obvious, if there's a collect in store option or a store with stock, then trying stuff on is the surest way to do things. I've had to return cycling clothing bought online that didn't fit to other stores, so I blame the manufacturers and their sizing rather than the stores. There's an idealised cycling body type manufacturers seem to design for, and sadly I am not that shape.

If your claim is that Sports Direct cycling clothing sizing is more wrong than anywhere else, then that would clearly be a scandal that should be thoroughly investigated!
mjr

Post by mjr »

I have a jacket and a top, from years ago, but I bought another top after that which was supposed to be the same (same product code and everything) but wasn't and just didn't last. I think I also had some shoes from there (Muddyfox Tour), which also didn't last long before cracking and letting in water. I've also heard various things about their stuff from friends over the years.

Summary: OK for the money (low price but low quality) but I feel better value can be found from other sellers, including some shops. Always at least hold it up against you because the sizes seem totally random: M in one top is the same chest size as L in another.

I think the general rules include: 1. most brands they buy start off good as they sell off old stock from before the purchase; 2. any good products thereafter are only good for one season as I feel they then cut costs to maximise profit from people trying to buy the good version of the product again or people buying on recommendation from those who bought the good version; 3. at least 90% of the stock is dreck, hence the nickname "Sports Dreck"; 4. about 95% of the clothing is the cheapest synthetic fibres known to man; 5. about 98% of stock is not where any customer thinks it should be in the store and half of what's on the website seems not to be in any store.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

I've had quite a bit of clothing, including cycle shoes and clothing, from SD over the years and have never found them significantly better or worse than anywhere else. Certainly the shoes are a size and a half larger than my regular 'Clarkes' size and the clothing is mostly XL whereas I'd normally get an L, but I think it essential to try shoes on and advisable to try clothes on, before buying - unless they are easily returnable at no cost.
althebike

Post by althebike »

I brought my first items from sports direct yesterday , two jogging bottoms, I tried them both on in the shop first. It did get some funny looks from people , but I did ask permission first.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

althebike wrote:I brought my first items from sports direct yesterday , two jogging bottoms, I tried them both on in the shop first. It did get some funny looks from people , but I did ask permission first.

Did you do it in the shop floor? I can see standing in your undies might, but not if you used the changing room. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I've got Sports Direct cycling tops, rain jacket and jogging bottoms. I can recommend them all as they have lasted a few years now and wash well. I bought their cycling MTB shoes and they did not last long due to the soles cracking. I find the sizing fine. Also their cheap running shoes seem fine for what they are. But I don't run that far. :)
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

And just been confirmed they have took over Evans and will close half the stores

So why Ashley would be interested in Evans god knows as taking it down market bound to fail
mjr

Post by mjr »

ianrobo wrote:And just been confirmed they have took over Evans and will close half the stores

So why Ashley would be interested in Evans god knows as taking it down market bound to fail

Sports Direct to sell Bromptons? :lol:

I suspect he's mostly interested in it for the brands like fwe, Pinnacle and HOY which aren't yet as tarnished as the ones he already owns like Muddyfox, Dunlop Sport and Slazenger. I wonder whether he also wants the Gatwick warehouse as a southern satellite for his Derbyshire one.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

mjr wrote:
ianrobo wrote:And just been confirmed they have took over Evans and will close half the stores

Sports Direct to sell Bromptons? :lol:

I suspect he's mostly interested in it for the brands like fwe, Pinnacle and HOY which aren't yet as tarnished as the ones he already owns like Muddyfox, Dunlop Sport and Slazenger. I wonder whether he also wants the Gatwick warehouse as a southern satellite for his Derbyshire one.

of course like with House of Fraser he has picked this up cheap
althebike

Post by althebike »

Paulatic, I did not see any changing rooms, so I asked a member of staff if I could try stuff on and he said yes.I did feel a bit like Mr Bean though.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I don't shop there.
Simples
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Sports Direct stuff is cheap and cheerful. If that's all you want to pay then that's fair enough. I've bought a few items from there but nothing mainstream, I'd rather shop at Evans or Decathlon.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
rjb

Post by rjb »

My son in law purchased a pair of cycling shoes with a velcro closure. Unfortunately the velcro closure closed onto the crank side of the shoe meaning the excess flappy strap got caught by the crank on every revolution. He left it too long to return them so just cut the excess strap off.

My muddy fox shoes from them were ideal for my use.

The moral is you have to be careful, there are some bargains there but beware they are cheap for a reason. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

4waydriver wrote:Having visited my local sports direct, I have returned all the items I purchased. Nothing fits, advised that everyone buys cycling shoes a size bigger than normal? This suggests to me that their sizes are wrong. Tights and jerseys are far too small for the stated sizes. Anyone else used kit from here ?

That's certainly my experience - absolutely. However, on a visit to the store I can easily try everything that I want to buy - never had a problem with that. I've certainly found that quoted shoe sizes are a joke; however, I only buy cheapo shoes from Sports Direct, for comparatively short term use from them (i.e. the heels don't last long!) The cycling jerseys I find to be good value for money, and very serviceable. It's true though - I don't go by quoted sizes - I try them on first.

I have used some thin soled, excellently profiled cheapo shoes. They're perfectly OK for cycling - 200mile days without even noticing that I'm wearing them. They have thin, flat soles, narrow heels that don't catch the cranks as I'm pedalling, smooth uppers that don't snag on the toe-clips (I ride clips-n'-straps). I do stress, that the quoted sizes are a joke and I was initially amazed at the quoted size that seemed to fit my feet. However, they stretch to fit the foot, and shoes that fit new are slack ant too long before their first day is over. I've found by experiment which size of that particular range is best for me - seem tight to start with but ease to fit me very quickly. If it sounds expensive to experiment, they're only about £25 and can be worn for mucking about until they're worn out. Leather uppers!

None of this is best, upper quality stuff - can't beat Evans for that, but it's serviceable stuff for the price, and I find Sports Direct an asset.

I'm not suggesting what others should do, I'm just saying what works for me.