Planet X road bikes

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
djbs10

Planet X road bikes

Post by djbs10 »

Hi all I’m looking at getting a new road bike and was thinking of getting a Planet X.
What are people’s thoughts about these? Looking on the net you can adjust the specs to suit.
I just don’t know anyone who has one to ask opinions.
Any help/advice appreciated.
Regards Dan

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Syd

Re: Planet X road bikes

Post by Syd »

I bought an RT58 with Ultegra 6800 from them a number of years ago as my “best bike” at that time. I still ride it regularly (well on days I wouldn’t want to take my new best bike out) and still enjoy it.

I have heard stories of their Pro Carbon frame suffering from speed wobble but I’ve never experienced anything like that on my RT.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

I had an RT-58 back in 2015 but found it a bit harsh to ride.I swapped all the parts onto a Canyon frame and it was like night and day.Not particularly bad bikes at all but not for me.
Beware of the specification claims.I specced my RT with SRAM but 2 days before I was due to collect I got a call saying they could no longer get SRAM and would I accept Ultegra.The day i picked it up they were still advertising availability with SRAM :roll: Likewise my sons bike last year.That was advertised with Shimano but came with SRAM!
My mate has a 2016 Pro-Carbon and he loves it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

I got a pro carbon from them and it became a good bike after I swapped the original group set for a decent one.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Peterjd

Post by Peterjd »

I own three PX bikes.

A couple of years ago, I had an older Specialized S-works Roubaix (10-spd Dura Ace 7900) and a Secteur (10-spd Ultegra 6700). Roubaix was my best bike and I used the Secteur as a winter bike. I fancied a change so when PX had one of their sales I bought a ProCarbon frame for £230 and moved the Secteur parts onto it. It was meant to be the winter bike, but I found I enjoyed riding the PX more than the Roubaix. As a result, I then bought another 'bargain' ProCarbon frame and built it up with the DA7900 and other parts stripped fom the Roubaix. I then sold the Roubaix frame. I have no regrets at 'down-grading' as the PX bikes seem to fit me better, are more comfortable and I love riding them. If it helps, I am a 58 yo leisure/fitness rider who does the occasional Sportive.

Also recently got a PPI windfall and was allowed to buy PX Ti Spitfire. That's lovely too :-)

FWIW, I've only had good service in my dealings with them. No problems to sort out, and communication has been good.