Halfords online

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
gbnz

Halfords online

Post by gbnz »

Halfords online - quite impressed!

Simply needed two replacement water bottle cages, found several well known national bike shops either didn't have a cheap, durable (Metal) water bottle holder in stock (NB. All the robust, cheap ones had sold out!), or charged a considerable fee to deliver.

The Halfords option looks fairly robust and decent on price (NB. A couple of discount shop versions I'd seen last week, wouldn't last a week of use), so ordered the Halfords version.

They have the store pick up option available, saving delivery costs/issues. Changing the store to one I'll be passing on a ride tomorrow was easy enough. Even better no payment required up front and they'll ensure they're available for pick up all week. Collection code texted to mobile within seconds of order.

It'll be interesting to see if they look as durable as they did online, if so, I'll be pleased to have saved several pounds (Nb. Had a text during breakfast to say they're ready for collection, popped into the store mid day (85 miles round journey), the cages are clearly durable and hold a bottle well)
Last edited by gbnz on 10 Jun 2019, 8:09pm, edited 2 times in total.
gaz

Re: Halfords online

Post by gaz »

gbnz wrote:... I'll be pleased to have saved several pounds.

If you are a Cycling UK member you may be able to save a few more £s: https://www.cyclinguk.org/member-benefits/halfords (log in to access discount code, changes monthly).
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I ordered a couple of Shimano hydo brake hoses for my bike online on Thursday and had a phonecall Friday 11am saying the order was in store and also had an email stating the same. Collected the item saturday morning and made use of a 10% discount code through my employers as British Cycling card isn't enough, you need a voucher or similar now and used up the remaining balance on my Cyce Republic gift card from a refund. Only downside is they have my email address so I'll be getting emails with telling me about items theat might be of interest to me but I don't have top open or read them.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Redvee wrote: Only downside is they have my email address so I'll be getting emails with telling me about items .

There's a post only option (I chose). Though I'd always use junk email addresses when it's required
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

When you get the first email hit the 'unsubscribe' simples?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Syd

Post by Syd »

GDPR requires all sites who sell to buyers within the EU to have the “spam me for the rest of my life” options unchecked.

Some sites still don’t comply. In those cases I refuse to spend my money there and email the web admin team to point out their failings.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Had the how did we do email from them tonight so I completed it and marked thm down because they asked me to complete the survey as I do with all similar surveys and where possible I leave a comment staating as much.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Halfords is fashionable to knock, but a couple points
They are the only online retailer with shops you can visit to look at goods across the uk, that said Evans Is catching up. So lots of people employed locally.
Cycling uk members get an extra 10% off.
They tend to sell lower end price wise, but good quality items, rather than boutique brands such as Assos,

As for the emailing it’s no worse than any other online cycling shop.
I recently bought a boardman shirt and rain jacket, both cam to 55 with discount 1/3 off then 10%,
NUKe

Post by HJRW »

I’ll second Nuke’s post. Easy to be sniffy about Halfords, but the shops are handy, employment for local people, and the online service works well. Just bought my second Boardman Hybrid - their tie up with Boardman is good - well specced quality bikes, great prices - and 10% discount for c.uk members. The assistant at my Arbroath branch was friendly, helpful with my handover, even though he was obviously busy when I called. And they’re fine for bits n’ pieces.
KEEP CALM AND PEDAL ON -1999 Cresswell Fold-it, 1997 Pashley Tuberider, 1997 Raleigh Special Products Pro-Line M-Trax 300 MTB, 1982 Raleigh Royale, 1951 Robin Hood Sports, 1936 BSA Clubman, 1912 Swift Loop Frame, 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Have to admit to being tempted by a reduced £260.00 road bike from Halfords. Hopefully I won't buy one as I don't another bike, but it looks great for that price :wink:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I too think many folks are sniffy about Halfords with no good cause.

I have brought some decent stuff there.

The order online and collect service is very handy.

Particularly since they changed it - you used to get a text within seconds saying that it was ready to collect which was clearly always nonsense.
Sweep
HJRW

Post by HJRW »

gbnz wrote:Have to admit to being tempted by a reduced £260.00 road bike from Halfords. Hopefully I won't buy one as I don't another bike, but it looks great for that price :wink:

“There’s always room for one more” :D
KEEP CALM AND PEDAL ON -1999 Cresswell Fold-it, 1997 Pashley Tuberider, 1997 Raleigh Special Products Pro-Line M-Trax 300 MTB, 1982 Raleigh Royale, 1951 Robin Hood Sports, 1936 BSA Clubman, 1912 Swift Loop Frame, 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8
PH

Post by PH »

I managed to mangle the plastic cup of a BB on Bank Holiday Monday, checked stock at the local Halfords, reserved and collected an hour later. At the same time bought a cafe lock chain for an upcoming tour, plus a half price first aid kit out of the reduced bin, which is complete other than the packaging. Received the CUK discount on all three, the assistant wanted to see my card OR the voucher, I think they're supposed to request both.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

HJRW wrote:
gbnz wrote:Have to admit to being tempted by a reduced £260.00 road bike from Halfords. Hopefully I won't buy one as I don't another bike, but it looks great for that price :wink:

“There’s always room for one more” :D

Actually had a look in Halfords today; NOT a road bike I'd buy :wink:

I'm not a weight "weenie" normally cycling on my Spa Tourer, c/w at least one pannier.

Yet the road bike which looked so remarkable online, easily a good 3-4kg heavier than the 17 year road frame I use. And the components were cheap, notable for containing vast quantities of plastic. It'd be ok if I didn't have a road bike, but otherwise not a bike I'd want to buy
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I'm not a "supporter" of Halfords, but they win again!

On finally getting around to fitting a replacement fork to a road bike, everything set up, fork cut to size, found the star nut I had in stock was for a 1" steerer! Aside from the delay in fitting the fork, having to pay £2-3 for delivery on a £1.99 part was .......annoying.

And then; realized I'd be passing a branch of Halfords on the bus; jumped off, realized immediately that all they stocked under "parts" were bells and fluffy hand rests for kiddies bike, but fought my way past the shopfloor fodder to someone who had "knowledge" who found a correctly sized star nut located in an under the counter drawer within 20-30 seconds. I was on my way :wink: (NB. And only paid £1.89 for it, rather the the cheapest £1.99 I'd found online)