Garmin Varia RTL510 light/radar

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
WatfordWobble

Re: Garmin Varia RTL510 light/radar

Post by WatfordWobble »

As mentioned in my previous post reporting back on my first experience of my RTL510.

I have a rack bag so fitting to the seat post wasn't an option. I then over thought it and purchased a pattern part of a handlebar team top cap Garmin 1/4 turn mount fitting intending to screw to my Tubus rack. Sadly the pattern part, whilst it declares fits Garmin, is so tight when installing it was nigh on impossible to twist to get off. So I binned that idea and used the mount and rubber band that came with the device and put it on the Tubus rack cross member. This appears to have worked perfectly.

As to the device on the road. Very easy to set up and it worked a treat and am pleased with buying it. I get a good notice of what is approaching behind me and can take appropriate action if needed. I ride on quiet country lanes mostly so can get distracted. This makes me aware if I have one of those day dreaming moments.

I had no false activations. Motorcyclist, cyclists, walkers were all picked up by the radar.

I still glance over my shoulder. This won't change but it's another aid to me safer cycling.

A great little device.
RickH

Post by RickH »

You could always get one of these (designed for the Vario front light)

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/552900

And combine it with one of these to attach to the rack.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bicycle-Saddle ... B07DMD6BG2

Not recommending either source (although I don't know if the Garmin bit will be available elsewhere). These are just the first links I found.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

A recent feature addition that Garmin have added is mapping overlays which gives you vehicle counts with speed and range/distance. You need to install a Garmin IQ app to get this feature/gimmick.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/var ... t-app.html
toontra

Post by toontra »

Reduced to £99 clearance at Evans at the moment.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I recently bought A Varia 510 and have been using it about a month. It works very well, picks up cars at 150m distance, before you can hear them approaching, and lets you know how many cars, how far behind and how fast they are approaching you. As well as pairing it to my Garmin, I’ve paired it to my wife’s Garmin and son-in-law’s Wahoo Bolt. When we all ride together, we all get the radar warning of approaching cars.

The only downside is a slight reduction in battery life of your Garmin, I’ve noticed that where perhaps a 3 hour ride used 20-30% of my Garmin’s battery, that’s now gone up to about 40%. Not really a problem unless you are doing really long rides. I recharge my Garmin after every ride. The battery on the Varia lasts for 6-7 hours, so I only recharge that every 3rd ride.

Given the reduced price (due to the launch of the slightly upgraded 515), I’d say the 510 is well worth the money.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
ChilledOut

Post by ChilledOut »

ChilledOut wrote:I said on a previous post that I'd sold my Radar as I'd given up road cycling.
Well I really missed my trips out so I've treated myself to a Brompton Electric as I have one new knee and the other one has a displaced patella and requires "something to be done" but probably next year after Corona Virus.
I switch the electric power off on the Brompton if it's at all possible but have the power to switch back on when I need it on steep hills.
Anyway back to the plot...... I'm back on the road and treated myself to a new RTL510 set as I found it on offer at only £25 more than I sold the "old" model radar for!.... It has given me confidence once more to ride on the road again and am using it when I take my "daily exercise".... having said that the roads are beautifully quiet at the moment.

Well... here we go again.... due to further health issues I’m giving up road cycling..again... I think I’m probably a hazard to other road users due to using lots of medication including (prescribed) morphine!
I still believe the Garmin Radar is a great bit of kit and I’d certainly use it if I was carrying on road cycling, but sadly not.
So yet again I’ll be putting my Radar up for sale. Ok the two units I have bought over the years have cost me a few quid but they have made me feel very safe on the roads.