Cycle Republic

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Oldjohnw

Cycle Republic

Post by Oldjohnw »

Has this company gone bust or just been taken over by Halfords?

My recent order has gone AWOL. I have had an email which I can't reply to saying orders will be fulfilled although they have closed.
John
mjr

Re: Cycle Republic

Post by mjr »

It always was part of Half odds. It's being shut down but surely should honour orders.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Cycle Republic website is diverted to Tredz which is headlined as:-

“The new home of Cycle Republic”.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Thanks all - presumably a gremlin in the transfer process.

I'm not assuming that they are not honouring my order but NN or good communications. That have had my money for a month.

I can go to Tredz with whom I have done quite a bit.
John
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Had the email from Cycle Republic saying:

Cycle Republic wrote:Hello Shaun
On the 25th of April, we made the difficult decision to permanently close all Cycle Republic stores. Today, we write to you to make you aware that our website, cyclerepublic.com will now also close. The website will be unavailable from 9am on the 8th of June.

For any customer queries relating to outstanding Cycle Republic orders, warranty, finance, or cycle to work please visit https://www.cyclerepublic.com/closure to find out more information. As part of our closure any existing finance, warranty or service package will be honoured. Also on this page you will find details of how to contact us should you wish.

The 'My Account' section of the website will be available for a short period of time for you to retrieve any order information you wish to keep. Login here.

For further advice and support regarding a full range of bikes, why not visit our sister company Tredz with stores in South Wales and available nationally at Tredz.co.uk.

The whole Cycle Republic team would like to take this opportunity to thank you, for visiting our stores, browsing the website, purchasing a bike, an accessory, reading a blog or following us on social media.

Cycle Republic
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Hard to understand when others report of bike business booming!
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

fausto99 wrote:Hard to understand when others report of bike business booming!

Same here, I understand at the time the decision was made, it made sense to close them but since there has been an explosion of cycle sales and it looks like many more people will cycle in the future. All this needs support and more retail outlets. I'm surprised they didn't change their mind at least for some stores which were profitable and likely more profitable in the future. I noticed that Halfords use to have about 25% of the UK cycle market by revenue but it is down to about 20% now and will likely shrink even more now. This means reduced buying power and likely higher prices for Halfords. However I never understood why Cycle Republic sold so many other brands with lower margins, personally I would have kept to their own high margin brands and done higher spec bikes in Cycle Republic stores. I'd rather have a Halford's brand high spec ebike for £3500 than a similar big brand bike for £5000-6000.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Guardian: "Halfords to close 60 sites despite rise in bike sales in lockdown"
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/13/halfords-to-close-60-sites-despite-rise-in-bike-sales-in-lockdown

Jonathan