Cheap cassettes

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
cyclop

Cheap cassettes

Post by cyclop »

Having built up a winter bike with a new transmission in the spring,it got sidelined in the good weather before the glitches were sorted.Just took it out this week and gear changing was off.Tweaked the usual adjustments,new cables etc..........no change.Whilst pondering this ,it occured to me I ,d put a cheapo "Lifeline" cassette on so,next morning,I put the old shimano one back on.Result,perfect changing,even on the old cassette.Ordered a new shimano!
mattsccm

Re: Cheap cassettes

Post by mattsccm »

I have a Sunrace one that was, a month ago, half the price of a Shimano 105 spec with a similar weight, can't remember which way. Faultless
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I have used cheap SRAM cassettes and chains for years, but after finding the latest transmission renewal problematic I bought a Shimano cassette and KMC chain. Chalk and cheese, the difference is astonishing, I'm never going back to SRAM
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

mattsccm wrote:I have a Sunrace one that was, a month ago, half the price of a Shimano 105 spec with a similar weight, can't remember which way. Faultless

Interesting,may give it a try next time.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

cyclop wrote:
mattsccm wrote:I have a Sunrace one that was, a month ago, half the price of a Shimano 105 spec with a similar weight, can't remember which way. Faultless

Interesting,may give it a try next time.

I thought I,d try my cheap cassette on my mtb(where I,d got the old shimano one from) and guess what,the changing is fine.Also my cheap cassette is ,in fact,a sunrace.The conclusion therefore is:sunrace cassettes are fine with certain chains but not with others,i.e.KMC?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Shimano chain on mine.