Go Outdoors

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Oldjohnw

Go Outdoors

Post by Oldjohnw »

A few days ago, amongst other things, I bought a Berghaus coat at GO. I don't like the firm but apart from Mountain Warehouse it is the only outdoor shop for 50 miles and I needed to try a coat on.

When I got home I realised they had charged me £150 instead of £142.50. I wrote to them showing the price charged on their own website. They tried every way to get out of paying the difference. I wasn't looking for the extra 10%. They claimed that they didn't include other members of the JD group - including themselves - in price comparisons, even though I wasn't using that process: I was just trying to pay the ticket price of the shop. They then claimed they were not responsible for typographical errors.

After 13 emails I got them to agree. They sent an email confirming that. Then it all started again at the shop and they tried to get out of it, even claiming that they had just reduced the price which was a blatant lie.

They have never admitted error or apologised. They even say it was a goodwill gesture to let me have the correct price. They then offered me 10% off the next time I spent over £100.

I will not darken their doors again.
John
Paulatic

Re: Go Outdoors

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve had pricing issues with GO a number of years ago and now always pass by them. Thankfully I’ve a good independent shop near by in Moffat. (Moffat Outdoors)
Worth calling in if ever you are passing.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Expected behaviour... that's the sort of thing that happens, when the management don't give a ****, their staff are on derisory wages and are ground down by difficult hr practices, sales margins are paper thin, etc.etc.... low, low standards. Haven't been in one since they were taken over. No point.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I don't go there either but I needed a new waterproof quite urgently and it is the only place I could try one on. Otherwise it is Newcastle or Edinburgh (I normally go to Cotswold in Edinburgh or Alpkit online where I don't need to try on) - or Moffat! Or Mountain Warehouse. I quite like MW but their waterproofs are too bulky and heavy for my use.

I also purchased various other small things which I normally get online.

You enter their premises and think, Wow! They have loads of stuff here. But reality is different: a small number of labels and limited sizing and colours. Presumably the stuff no-one else can sell. I don't think they know the difference between a tent and a caravan or a bike and a horse.

Pity about Blacks which I used to like.

Never again. What a shower.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I have to say, slightly guilty though I am about turning my back on traditional retail outlets (aka, a shop! ;-) ), I have squirreled away the names of a handful of tried and tested manufacturers whose sizing I know will fit and now-a-days, just order on-line from these select few... easier, cheaper, delivered to door, often quicker than I'd get it if I waited for a suitable day to 'go shopping'... Modern life, eh?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

simonineaston wrote:I have to say, slightly guilty though I am about turning my back on traditional retail outlets (aka, a shop! ;-) ), I have squirreled away the names of a handful of tried and tested manufacturers whose sizing I know will fit and now-a-days, just order on-line from these select few... easier, cheaper, delivered to door, often quicker than I'd get it if I waited for a suitable day to 'go shopping'... Modern life, eh?

That's what I do with most of my stuff but I haven't bought a proper waterproof, as opposed to a packable one - for the best part of 20 years. Plus, new styles have a different cut.

I get shoes from Hotter, underwear/shirts from Alpkit, shirts/trousers from Rohan and dress clothes from Brooke Taverner. All online.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I always get pricing issues at GO. First started with a pair of new model Salomon shoes. £125 pretty much everywhere. I happened to find what must have been a mispriced online retailer selling it and they price matched.

But nothing wrong there but they gave me an extra 10% off, only they calculated based on the full label price not the cheaper price. All told I paid just over £70.

The other instances was Salomon boots I got for £75 after they reduced from £125 miscalculating the extra 10% discount. I do not like the feeling of ripping them off and resent it but I was home before I worked out they were so wrong and had worn then so couldn't correct their mistake.

I totally hate being put in the position of getting such a huge discount when I shouldn't have. I will be darkening their door every time I am near one of their stores from now on.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

simonineaston wrote:I have to say, slightly guilty though I am about turning my back on traditional retail outlets (aka, a shop! ;-) ), I have squirreled away the names of a handful of tried and tested manufacturers whose sizing I know will fit and now-a-days, just order on-line from these select few... easier, cheaper, delivered to door, often quicker than I'd get it if I waited for a suitable day to 'go shopping'... Modern life, eh?

Or head into town, use the high street shops to evaluate clothing and boots, then order them online (Nb. Sometimes from the same retailer, but always cheaper :roll:.
northerncyclist

Post by northerncyclist »

Or head into town, use the high street shops to evaluate clothing and boots, then order them online (Nb. Sometimes from the same retailer, but always cheaper

A great way to shut all the high street shops and put the staff out of work...Never mind Amazon will take the slack but of course they wont pay much in U.K. taxes......Well done on looking after number one.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

northerncyclist wrote:
Or head into town, use the high street shops to evaluate clothing and boots, then order them online (Nb. Sometimes from the same retailer, but always cheaper

A great way to shut all the high street shops and put the staff out of work...Never mind Amazon will take the slack but of course they wont pay much in U.K. taxes......Well done on looking after number one.

As far as I know, Amazon is not the only online trader. I use online most of the time but never, ever Amazon.
John
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

I will go to some lengths to avoid them because of the way they treat there staff amongst other reasons. At the start of lockdown they forced their staff onto new (less favourable) contracts following one of the (now too common) voluntary adminstration offerrings (or what-ever they are called). Basically I wouldn't put anything past them, so they have to be absolutely the shop of last resort, and even then I'll think twice about it.
oldun

Post by oldun »

Similar problem last year for me . Went to the Norwich store to buy a pair of walking boots for my wife which were advertised in a leaflet we received in a free paper . Eventually found the boots in store which were priced £30 higher than the offer price even if i purchased the £5 discount card so i thought "Ahh they will know the offer price at the till " ....no such luck . Printing error they said , then keep them i said , and left them at the till.

I sent an e mail to the store manager and eventually got a reply re stating that it was the printers error and not theirs .OOhh all i want is to buy something at the price they say they will sell something , not complicated . As Decathlon Cambridge is a bit too far for me ( Lowestoft ) i now shop on line at Decathlon and occasionally at Millets in the town .
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

They are a big firm and try to be all things to all women and their staff seem to have limited outdoor experience.They are the camping equivalent of Aldi etc with a focus on cost cutting etc.They are sheds.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Bring back the Scout Shop, I say!
S
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

simonineaston wrote:Bring back the Scout Shop, I say!

Black's bought them. And in turn, GO parent company bought them, which also owns a majority interest in that great Scottish Independent Tiso.

Actually, Black's behave pretty well and I get stuff online from them with an excellent service. I just ordered a sleeping bag for my son for Xmas. Ordered Sunday and will be delivered today.
John