Carradice Top Tube Bag

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
GeekDadZoid

Carradice Top Tube Bag

Post by GeekDadZoid »

I had a search for this before I bought it but couldn't find anything but a passing mention to this so though I would post my thoughts.

I have been looking at a simple way of adding some storage to my road bike without over loading it too much and to compliment my saddle bag which carrys my tube and tools. My pump is frame mounted but I struggle with where to put my phone and keys etc, I don't wear cycling specific clothing all the time and even when I do I don't really like the back pockets.

So I was drawn towards a.top tube bag that way slim enough to be unobtrusive but big enough for a big phone, keys, probably some food wallets if needed. Many of the Chinese brands seem to have poor straps which don't look like they would stay still without modification. Topeka had a few options but I thought I would look a little closer to home.

Both Mac Workshop and Carradice do very similar models But Carradice won on it being a tiny bit bigger and a a fair bit cheaper.

The bag arrived the other day and I have managed to go out on a couple of rides with it and I am very impressed so far, Sue did a great job.

The base and both straps are lined with recycled innertube which help stabilise the bag against the frame, this makes for solid fit. Size wise you can fit a fairly large phone in and lots of other bits and bobs, you could probably use it to fit a small mini pump in too if that was your requirements. Today I went for quite a fast ride and it did not move at all and the internal sections kept my keys and phone separate.

Finish and quality is exactly what I had hoped for from Carradice and I am very pleased.

Points to note
If you have a "Slammed" stem then you are not going to able to fit this in the standard configuration.
It is not waterproof but water resistant as I understand it, not an issue for me but something to be aware of.

Few pics of it in situ

IMG_20201106_131011.jpg
IMG_20201106_131015.jpg
Oldjohnw

Re: Carradice Top Tube Bag

Post by Oldjohnw »

My Carradice Cadet was sagging a little (I can’t use a bagman because I already have a rack with my battery) so I wrote to Carradice for advice.

They suggested, which I half expected, correx and kindly, unasked, sent me some.

Customer service is unlikely to get better than that.
John
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I have one of those things, but I've never managed to slide off the saddle without bashing that which should not be bashed. Advice: don't put anything hard in it.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
nomm

Post by nomm »

I own one of these. Had it about 6 months.

Its my 'ride while snack' bag and is seemingly filled by fig rolls/Holland and Barrett nuts coated in yog/choc.

I love it - its stable, well made and is great value compared with the competition
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Just bought one. Thanks to Sue, Monika and Lucy.
MikeytheBikey

Post by MikeytheBikey »

Looks neat!

I have a pair of Carradice Carradry panniers - very impressed with the quality.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

De Sisti wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 3:27pm Just bought one. Thanks to Sue, Monika and Lucy.
nomm wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 7:52pm I own one of these. Had it about 6 months.
GeekDadZoid wrote: 6 Nov 2020, 2:01pm I had a search for this before I bought it but couldn't find anything but a passing mention to this so though I would post my thoughts.
For those who have this bag: I'm curious to know how it's held up longer term. I'm looking for something to hold a phone and snacks for longer rides (including all the carbs I need to eat when riding a 100 miler later this year) and the Carradice looks like a good fit for price/quality

I noticed it's quite a bit wider than other top tube bags - 6cm vs (on average) 4cm - has that caused any issues?
nomm

Post by nomm »

bohrsatom wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 7:14pm
De Sisti wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 3:27pm Just bought one. Thanks to Sue, Monika and Lucy.
nomm wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 7:52pm I own one of these. Had it about 6 months.
GeekDadZoid wrote: 6 Nov 2020, 2:01pm I had a search for this before I bought it but couldn't find anything but a passing mention to this so though I would post my thoughts.
For those who have this bag: I'm curious to know how it's held up longer term. I'm looking for something to hold a phone and snacks for longer rides (including all the carbs I need to eat when riding a 100 miler later this year) and the Carradice looks like a good fit for price/quality

I noticed it's quite a bit wider than other top tube bags - 6cm vs (on average) 4cm - has that caused any issues?
My phone doesn't fit, I wouldnt put anything of too much weight in there, as I have found this can cause a bit of lean and knee rub. Due to it's location I have found it best for snacks while cycling and/or puncture repair/inner tube storage for short speed rides
GeekDadZoid

Post by GeekDadZoid »

I don't find any issues with lean / knee rub personally. You do have to make sure it's securely fastened and be conscious on how it's loaded.

I put my phone in it with no bother, but it really comes into its own holding things like snack, sun glasses and my wallet. Easy to get at and the long zip makes for easy access.

Mine is just a bit dirty but no other issues have occured, so I would happily buy another.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

After the recommendations I went ahead and bought the bag, so thought I’d give a quick review

Overall I’m happy with my purchase. The bag is big, with plenty of space for snacks, and I can fit my phone in one of the internal pockets to keep it crumb free. No knee strike if properly secured to the frame. My only issue is my bike has a very tall steerer tube and the top of the bag is roughly where my stem secures to the steerer. This makes it hard for the zip to fully close, so I’d imagine some water might get in during heavy rain. Not a big issue for me as I don’t mind too much if my chocolate bars get wet, but something to consider