Custom bibshorts from Clifton - weird pad

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
fausto99

Custom bibshorts from Clifton - weird pad

Post by fausto99 »

Has anyone else bought cycling shorts from Clifton Clothing https://www.cliftonclothing.com/ ? If so, how did you find them?

I've just got a pair of bibshorts where the padded insert is cut away in such a manner that the seams end up right where my sit bones want to contact the saddle.

This is what I'd call a more normal pad:

It's taken since August to get this far, this being a second attempt at getting the fit right, I am therefore reluctant to return them. I think I'd rather get a replacement pad and get an able relative with a fancy sewing machine to do the honours. Can anyone recommend a padded insert supplier?
rotavator

Re: Custom bibshorts from Clifton - weird pad

Post by rotavator »

If you have already returned it to Clifton once for fixing, having explaned the problem clearly to them, then I would say it is time to send it back again and ask for a full refund. I assume that it is a pricey, made-to-measure piece of kit so you should expect that the fit to be good and with the pad in the right place, i.e. fit-for-purpose as the law demands.

If they refuse to refund you, then I doubt that it would be worth taking them to the small claims court but in your position I would certainly publicise your poor experience on forums like this.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

This is the latest response I got from Clifton when I pointed out the problem of the pad position and its shape:
"Unfortunately the shorts were made using your bespoke sizing and the seat pad was attached in the location determined by the size ratio of the body which have been tried and tested throughout the years we have made this garment. As the specific location of the seat pad was not requested to be included into the order pack the standard location was used and therefore the same has been delivered.
I would suggest checking the availability of local tailors for their assistance to restitch the seat pad in person where you can personally readjust that to the exact location required"

I'd call it evasive-aggressive-defensive and very unhelpful. Certainly not, "the customer is always right" or "can-do" or "how can we help". They seem to be suggesting my rear is deformed or unusual in some way!! :shock: :roll: :lol:

All in all, avoid this company at all costs. They have been a nightmare to deal with as soon as they got the up front payment. No phone number and very slow on the emails.
I won't waste any more energy on trying to get them to do the right thing. I shall get out of jail by calling on my sister, who was a dress designer/seamstress BITD. She has a machine that can do fancy stitches and the skill to handle lycra.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I will put Clifton on my list of companies not to buy from.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I had the same problem once, IIRC the pad was far too forward so my sit bones were off the back of pad :?

No amount of pictures sent etc would change their mind.

Me and you are obviously at the extreme opposite ends of the spectrum with maybe one of us has got a reversed pelvis.

I have sewn in a pad to some shorts with a standard sewing machine, standard stitch, but would advise a pro to do the job unless you fancy your skills as a seamstress .
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Me and you are obviously at the extreme opposite ends of the spectrum with maybe one of us has got a reversed pelvis.

No, no, no, I very much doubt it. I have several pairs of shorts on the go atm and only the custom Clifton ones have the pad so far back that my sit bones are on the front pad seams. Every other short I've owned has my bones smack in the middle of the pad centres. I think that Clifton just know nothing about cycling shorts. They are probably OK with printing up one-size-fits-all club jerseys where the fit is not critical.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Update.

I left Clifton a factual but uncomplimentary review on Trustpilot. I would not like any other cyclist to have the same experience as I've had. Trustpilot now say that Clifton have "flagged your review because they don't believe you've had a genuine experience with them. Please help us verify your review by sending us documentation showing your buying or service experience with http://www.cliftonclothing.com.

I've done this but It makes you think.... If they'd spent as much time and energy getting my order right, in the first place, as they have contesting the review they would have got a good review instead and possible further business.

I rest my case.