Alpkit

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
KTHSullivan

Alpkit

Post by KTHSullivan »

Ordered a new crashmat on Thursday evening here today. Pretty good service considering I elected for "standard" delivery.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
pjclinch

Re: Alpkit

Post by pjclinch »

We've had various odds and ends from Alpkit back to when they were just starting. Levels of service have always struck me as exemplary and value for money is good too.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

pjclinch wrote:We've had various odds and ends from Alpkit back to when they were just starting. Levels of service have always struck me as exemplary and value for money is good too.

I have ordered a few bits and pieces from them over the years. My only gripe if any is that their stock levels can be a bit hit and miss. But overall as you have said fairly good quality kit and reasonable prices. They remind me of the earlier version of Field & Trek; before they became a boutique.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Had lots of small bits of kit off of Alpkit over the years. Always prompt delivery. Most of the items have been excellent vfm. In particular, a Gordon water-proof rucksack has been in daily use for some years now and is standing up well. A previous version of their now improved Gamma headtorch broke and the reviews indicated this was a design fault, but the 3rd itteration is sorted. Would always consider Alpkit stuff when looking for new outdoor kit.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Their shop staff are really knowledgeable - I may have to pop in and look at their Sonder bike range when all this is over.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
PH

Post by PH »

st599_uk wrote:Their shop staff are really knowledgeable - I may have to pop in and look at their Sonder bike range when all this is over.

Yes, it's always a pleasure to shop there, or even deal via email. This to me is what makes good service rather than how long it takes to stick something in the post.
In normal times you can hire a Sonder from the shops and if you go on to buy a bike the cost is refunded. £60 for the weekend might seem expensive if you don't go on to buy one, but not as expensive as buying the wrong bike and I might treat a hired bike differently to one I was test riding.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

PH wrote:
st599_uk wrote:Their shop staff are really knowledgeable - I may have to pop in and look at their Sonder bike range when all this is over.

Yes, it's always a pleasure to shop there, or even deal via email. This to me is what makes good service rather than how long it takes to stick something in the post.
In normal times you can hire a Sonder from the shops and if you go on to buy a bike the cost is refunded. £60 for the weekend might seem expensive if you don't go on to buy one, but not as expensive as buying the wrong bike and I might treat a hired bike differently to one I was test riding.

I may take them up on that offer.

I'm trying to research the bike I'd like - I'd rather do some research this year to find out what I want - spend a few months looking at models then buy later this year or early next when the industry has more normal lead times.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Most if not all the staff will now part-own the business following a share sale last year - whose public offer sold out in a few minutes.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

PH wrote:In normal times you can hire a Sonder from the shops and if you go on to buy a bike the cost is refunded. £60 for the weekend might seem expensive if you don't go on to buy one, but not as expensive as buying the wrong bike and I might treat a hired bike differently to one I was test riding.

Before buying my Sonder Frontier three years ago, we went down to the Ambleside shop to hire a couple of Frontiers for an afternoon test ride.
As we were only actually out on the bikes for about three hours, they decided not to charge us for the hire. Great service.
I went on to buy one a month or so later and had great help with a few changes to the standard spec from their bike expert and designer Neil.
Looking forward to their new shop opening in Edinburgh, once shops are allowed to open again.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's avoid their torches personally. We've had three and they are all failing to impress in different ways.

One had the tilt fail by the part of the plastic case of strap connector loosened such that there was no n longer a clicking ratchet effect holding the torch at your b selected angle. It simply flopped to point at the ground by your feet.

Another is supposedly 380 lumens but you can't walk down a dark road or canal towpath and see the ground ahead of you.

A third, same as the first one, simply had a very bright spotlight that really was too small at the bright centre and too dark around it to see the ground ahead of you on the same towpath. Well it was just about good enough for the first one or two 15-25 minutes use then it simply faded until unusable.

We really should take them back under the alpine bond returns process.

My partner bought a new petzl rechargeable headtorch, the 200 lumens bindi, and it's got a beam pattern and shape that puts more of its light energy where you need it it. A bit like the lens on a good, German approved bike front light. Those 200 lumens would probably out shine even the brightest Alpkit torch I expect. Costs a lot more but it's useable unlike the Alpkit ones I've owned.

It's a shame because they're a good company? Perhaps they should stick to core sectors they're proven in??

PS my Alpkit inflatable pillow lasted about halfway through my last two week summer cycle tour, if that. Actually, no, it lasted one overnight in the UK then two nights on that tour. Simply sprung a few leaks not just one that could be easily repaired. Should have taken it back.