Halfords

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Oldjohnw

Halfords

Post by Oldjohnw »

I had to go to Berwick this morning and saw that Halfords had closed and their business transferred to their outlet at Galashiels some 35 miles away.

Any other evidence of such rationalisng with Halfords? I rarely use the store but it is quite useful on occasion. Berwick still has the (IMV) awful Go Outdoors and an excellent LBS.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 15 Feb 2021, 5:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
PH

Re: Halfords

Post by PH »

Yep, Halfords plans to close 60 stores by April, it was in the news a while back.
In Derby they're closing one of the two out of town shopping centre stores, but it isn't the one I use. There's been lots of moaning about it, from both motorists and cyclists, but in our case it's only four miles between them and on a bike most of that can be on pleasant cycle track.

EDIT - The 60 stores may or may not include the Cycle Republic stores, depending where you read it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowley, Oxford is closing.

It will be a nuisance.

Jonathan
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Serendipitously, I'm just back from our local halfords (Hertford). I popped in to pick up some touch-up paint and a cable sheath.
I was surprised to see that it was "moving". Turns out that this is newspeak for closing down. Nearest alternatives 10 miles away.
Weve lost a millets and an ironmongers from our town centre in the last couple of years. There's now almost no useful retail in a county town centre in a fairly prosperous part of the south east.
Sad times.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Is there a list of the doomed branches? And a list of the ones to close, too? ;)

Seriously, I didn't find a list of the ones being closed. Is there one?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Oldjohnw wrote:I had to go to Berwick this morning and saw that Halfords had closed and their business transferred to their outlet at Galashiels some 35 miles away.

Any other evidence of such rationalisng with Halfords? I rarely use the store but it is quite useful on occasion. Berwick still has the (IMV) awful Go Outdoors and an excellent LBS.

Where's the LBS? Halfords did state in a generic email that they'd be operating retail operations from another location in Berwick (Nb. Had an email, as I've used click/collect via Berwick for a couple of years when buying generic parts - saves £2/4 in delivery costs on £1.49 parts. One of the benefits of a FOC bus pass).

There's a good chance that the generic email was incorrect, as the other location is listed as an autocentre/garage type operation.

It will be a nuisance if Halfords retail have disappeared from Berwick, as a journey to Cramlington/North Shields for clickl/collect isn't remotely enticing
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

gbnz wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I had to go to Berwick this morning and saw that Halfords had closed and their business transferred to their outlet at Galashiels some 35 miles away.

Where's the LBS? Halfords did state in a generic email that they'd be operating retail operations from another location in Berwick (Nb. Had an email, as I've used click/collect via Berwick for a couple of years when buying generic parts - saves £2/4 in delivery costs on £1.49 parts. One of the benefits of a FOC bus pass).

There's a good chance that the generic email was incorrect, as the other location is listed as an autocentre/garage type operation.

It will be a nuisance if Halfords retail have disappeared from Berwick, as a journey to Cramlington/North Shields for clickl/collect isn't remotely enticing

LBS is Berwick Cycles on Bridge Street. I believe Halfords is still doing car stuff through its subsidiary McConichies on the Tweedside Trading Estate.
John
ncutler

Halfords excellent delivery

Post by ncutler »

Ordered inexpensive V brakes on Monday morning. Delivery promised to be two days but arrived next day: Tuesday lunchtime.

Brakes are 'Clark' brand, nothing wonderful but easy to fit replacing ancient ( 1995 ) cantilever brakes. Vast improvement.
No pasaran
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

Halfords isn't the cheapest, but less intimidating than other bicycle shops who seem very focused and uncomfortable for those clueless.

Have tried some online places for simple parts.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Guardian article on positioning and outlook:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... nd-in-cars

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

More on outlook:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57508846

"Supply challenges for cycling products remain acute."

Jonathan
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Not related to the earlier posts emphasising closures, but I thought I'd post this as a positive experience of their Grantham store.

The disc brakes on my 10 year old Boardman Comp have been making a dreadful noise for quite a while now and as I know little to nothing about disc brakes I thought I’d drop it in to Halfords. It seems that to get Halfords to do anything bike service wise you need to go through the ‘gate’ of booking online a Free Inspection and then I assumed likely book in a service appointment.

Having got to the shop and explaining that I only really wanted the brakes looking at the mechanic was most obliging and having nevertheless done the cursory check announced he could overhaul the brakes there and then while I waited. 30-40mins later, all done with everything including pads and rotors taken apart cleaned up and adjusted, and I’m now back to quiet brakes. A token fee charged. The shop was relatively quiet but I was very impressed by the flexibility and willingness shown by the staff – something I wasn’t necessarily expecting from a chain like Halfords.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

GayUnicorn wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 1:16amHalfords isn't the cheapest...
Most of the time that's true but sometimes they are. A while back (pre-pandemic) they were selling Brooks B17 saddles at £55 when they were £70 everywhere else. I was skint at the time otherwise I would have bought a few.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

There are two within five miles where I live, and one of them has had the look of lingering illness about it for a long time, so my guess is that one will go, it’s certainly way too big for the trade it does, although it may be on a lower cost site.

Review wise: I’m happy to buy things from them, their stock of ‘ordinary’ bits and tyres can be useful, and I rate Boardman bikes as very good value for money, but I’d be very wary indeed of their mechanics doing anything to my bikes, having had two bad experiences, one of which could have ended very nastily, but for the grace of God/luck.