SP PD-8 disc dyno hub

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Vantage

SP PD-8 disc dyno hub

Post by Vantage »

A quick wash in Oct 2020 and then stored in the hallway till now. That's all I did.
My dyno hub has seized (not completely) but the bearings are making a 'leaf trapped under the mudguard' sound and there's noticeable resistance when spinning it.
I emailed Spa on the 22 Feb. Still no reply to date.
I emailed SP on 24 Feb. They got back to me last night.

Hi William,

Sorry to hear that.
Mishandling, improper usage… aren’t covered by warranty.

They quote £25 for the repair. Royal mail quote £18 signed for for postage. 5-7 days delivery time.

So there you have it folks. SP considers cleaning our bikes and not riding them to be mishandling and improperly using them. Plus an overall cost of near 50 quid to put right.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
markjohnobrien

Re: SP PD-8 disc dyno hub

Post by markjohnobrien »

Shocking.

Glad I’ve never bought one of their hubs.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

What did you tell them that led to that response?

When did you buy it?

Jonathan

PS: £25 for the repair including parts doesn't look excessive to me.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Told 'em I washed it then stored it for 2 months. Bought July 2019.
It should at the very least be able to withstand a bit of water every now and again.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

When they replied "Mishandling, improper usage… " was that a standard paragraph or did it look as if it was specifically written in response to what you had told them?

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Vantage wrote:Told 'em I washed it then stored it for 2 months. Bought July 2019.
It should at the very least be able to withstand a bit of water every now and again.

Has it been established that it was the wash that caused the problems? I'm no expert but is is possible that the problems were present before the wash and the wash e.g. cleared out some grease that had been masking the issue? Just guessing here.

Though on my old Tiagra shifters if I didn't ride the bike for a month or more the front brake would seize (it was the shifters of cable as it does not happen since they were replaced for other reasons). It was not an issue as put the brake lever a few times and it freed but an example where not using can cause issues?

Ian
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Tbh, it looks like a standard 'not our problem' pre written sort of reply.

Hi William,

Sorry to hear that.
Mishandling, improper usage… aren’t covered by warranty. In this case SP provide Bearing Replacement Service for our customers. "Bearing replacement” service is not only for fixing bearings, but also for checking whole hub and we’ll send repaired hub back to you.
If you'd like to proceed the service, please order “bearing replacement” from SP online store https://www.sp-dynamo.com/service.html
The cost is TWD1000 (around USD33, including fix fee, return express fee). SP hub repair requires correct fixtures and processing which is offered in Taiwan service station only.

Please arrange the payment first then send your defective hub back to SP. ( hub only but not a wheel) I recommend to send by Post as it's cheaper. Please claim USD1 for the value and defected hub for repair on the document to avoid tax. Please ensure hub is packed with stuffing as protection before sending. From better tracking, you may consider getting the parcel tracked when applying delivery. Let me know after you send it.

I can't say for certain @Psamanthe.
The bike has been weekly washed without issue since I built it in July 19'
It has never been stood long enough for standing water to be an issue. The bike had been previously hosed down but not jet washed.
I believe water has got in after its last wash and just sat there rusting inside the bearing. It's all push fit sealed so I've no way to get in there and work on it myself. The first time span the thing it wasn't putting out any power. A bit of wd40 overnight seems to have solved that but the hub is still making a horrible (although not ridiculously loud) grinding noise.
I took it for a ride today and didn't really notice anything wrong with it. The wheel is spinning a bit better but the noise is still there.
Ordering a replacement PD-8 on Monday. It's the only hub I know of that offers a 6 bolt disc mount, 6v 2.4w output at a reasonable price. A Son would be nice but at £200, no way :shock:
Bill

PH

Post by PH »

Keep trying Spa, they took the money, if there's any obligation it's with them. At the very least, with their experience selling them ought to be able to tell what normal usage looks like and SP's are covered by a two year warranty. Anyone who can give a verdict without seeing it, is not to be trusted.
If you get no joy from Spa, the next step up the chain will be the UK distributor, which I think is Ison, but the chances are they'll refer you back to Spa.
PH

Post by PH »

Vantage wrote:I took it for a ride today and didn't really notice anything wrong with it. The wheel is spinning a bit better but the noise is still there.
Ordering a replacement PD-8 on Monday. It's the only hub I know of that offers a 6 bolt disc mount, 6v 2.4w output at a reasonable price. A Son would be nice but at £200, no way :shock:

Are you sure? I thought there were several Shimano six bolt options, though they'll probably be 3W, is there a reason you want 2.4?
If no six bolt, centerlock is fine, or you could use a centrelock>bolt adapter.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Vantage wrote:Tbh, it looks like a standard 'not our problem' pre written sort of reply.

I'd write again repeating how new it is and how it hasn't been mistreated.

Jonathan

PS: I agree about value for money: we have SP PV-8s on many of the family's bikes.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

PH wrote:Are you sure? I thought there were several Shimano six bolt options, though they'll probably be 3W, is there a reason you want 2.4?

No specific reason for the 2.4w. 3 would be better, it's just what that hub has.
I looked through spa and sjs cycles offerings of Shimano hubs. All centrelock. Shimano being awkward sods as usual. My disc's are 6 bolt so a converter or new disc is more money upfront, then the centrelock tool on top of that. Stupid idea if you ask me.
Bill

PH

Post by PH »

Vantage wrote:
PH wrote:Are you sure? I thought there were several Shimano six bolt options, though they'll probably be 3W, is there a reason you want 2.4?

No specific reason for the 2.4w. 3 would be better, it's just what that hub has.
I looked through spa and sjs cycles offerings of Shimano hubs. All centrelock. Shimano being awkward sods as usual. My disc's are 6 bolt so a converter or new disc is more money upfront, then the centrelock tool on top of that. Stupid idea if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure your SP will be 3W, not certain, I just don't recall seeing one that wasn't.
Here's a Shimano 6 bolt, though I don't know the quality or if it will suit you, they are at least more user serviceable than the SP
https://www.bikester.co.uk/shimano-dh-3 ... 00715.html
Centrelock to 6 bolt adapters are about a tenner or less, they need a cassette tool to fit and can then be forgotten.
I have this LX version
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VR-Nabendyna ... Sw3fFdoJYq
The cost of that and an adapter would be less than an SP

Your choice of course, but I'm a little incredulous that someone who's had a poor service from the component and the manufacturer and no response from the supplier, would buy the same again.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

My mistake, it is as you state 3w.
I need it take 36 spokes and because I'm a tart, it needs to be silver.
That leaves me with a choice of SON or SP.
I'll just have to remember not to let it stand too long after a wash. Can't win'em all.
Bill

rjb

Post by rjb »

This link may help you if you want to tackle it yourself :wink:
bottom of the page shows how someone dismantled one.
https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests ... ex_en.html
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
PH

Post by PH »

Vantage wrote:I'll just have to remember not to let it stand too long after a wash. Can't win'em all.

OK, fair enough. If you've accepted it was your fault and don't want an alternative, then having it repaired still seems like better value. I've heard of several people had theirs replaced with a recon one for the same £25, via the distributor, though those have been outside the warranty period, bearing failure with SP's isn't unheard of, though as I have one I'm hoping it's not inevitable. I sent a similar size and weight package last week, cost £9.25 with £60 insurance, Parcelforce booked with Interparcel, Hermes was cheaper but the recipient paid the extra for PF.