Enigma Bikes

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
RickH

Re: Enigma Bikes

Post by RickH »

sussex cyclist wrote: 23 May 2021, 2:22amMy counter-offer is this: replace the frame nil charge (and in a reasonable amount of time, please, unlike what happened with this poor chap. Your standard 3 months would be fine, as I don't have high hopes for the weather this summer anyway.) I will then accept the new frame on your now standard 10 year warranty, even though that would be a step down for me.
Enigma may be oblivious of your kind offer.

They haven't been active since they posted & had only registered 5 minutes earlier. According to their profile - Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 2:30 pm, Last active: Thu May 20, 2021 2:35 pm.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

I thought it worth updating this thread to say that this was never resolved. I can only hope that their experience of dealing with me will pay dividends for others should they have issues, insofar as a wise company would make more serious efforts to take care of their customers to avoid threads like this.

Fortunately I’m not bereft of ti, as my 22 year old Litespeed is still going strong.

philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Thanks for updating us all!
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

In a recent Hambini BB reaming video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rDZk_GnDCY (3:50), he mentions the importance of stress relieving welded Ti frames (by heating the whole frame followed by slow cooling), and implies may not be done during the manufacture of "cheap" Ti frames.
I imagine the repair welding was not stress relieved in this way and as situated in an already damaged area was more likely to fail than the original weld.

Were the OP's frames tubes double butted ? and would this method of reducing frame weight have added to the likelihood of failure at highly stressed areas around the BB.
sussex cyclist

Post by sussex cyclist »

Jules59 wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 11:08am Were the OP's frames tubes double butted?
Yes, or at least that was the spec, though I've read that there is no reliable way to know for sure. I've just been to their site and it seems the Esprit is no longer available.

Interesting video, thanks.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Little comfort to you but having read this thread and of your terrible experiences living as I do in Eastbourne I am even more pleased that although I had considered an Enigma TI I instead brought a Roberts steel framed Tourer.