Winstanleys Bikes

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Bensons

Winstanley Bikes

Post by Bensons »

Anyone dealt with them? I have just read some unfortunate reviews - our Galaxy tandem arrived tonight, without the rear seat post and saddle and without any pedals. With a carrier bag with a massive hole in it full of odd bolts and bits.

Bit disappointing really - I thought it was a bargain at £1300. I have sent my husband a few photos as could have other things missing, I mean, even I can spot a missing saddle/pedals/seat post. He reckons that it will take 3 hours work to set it up as they appear not to have done anything at all.

We have got the bits we are missing here as spares anyway so can get going but not really the point.

Looks like people have struggled to resolve their issues reading reviews. I am usually such a good online shopper as well!
pickerd

Re: Winstanley Bikes

Post by pickerd »

I've used them on a couple if occasions. Neither was very good.
On the first they only sent me half my order as they didn't have stock. (1 disc brake caliper instead of 2). The website didn't show limited stock. They didn't even attempt to contact me to ask what I would like to do - other Web traders seem to do this. When I called them to find out what was going on they made me feel like it was my fault. They offered no solution - I had to suggest ways forward. They wouldn't even pay return postage for their mess.
Second time, again they showed parts on the www that they hadn't got in stock.
Poor in my opinion.
I will avoid if I can.
Shame as they have some good prices.
Bensons

Post by Bensons »

Well, I spoke to them earlier today and they couldn't have been more helpful or apologetic and said that they can easily arrange for anything missing to be supplied by Dawes.

Not ideal them not coming in the first instance but as long as it is resolved fairly quickly and properly that will do.

We are not big consumers really - only use our local bike shop, SJS and Spa. But it was a bargain, have to say that I only bought this over a used one because I thought it would be hassle free!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bensons wrote:Well, I spoke to them earlier today and they couldn't have been more helpful or apologetic and said that they can easily arrange for anything missing to be supplied by Dawes.!

Possible that they saw this thread?

Companies have to be careful of their online reputation these days and you are clearly a reasonable customer, not some sort of habitual complainer after getting one over on a company.

Anyway, all credit to them for sorting it.
Sweep
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

I've used them a few times for bits and pieces and they have been as reliable as other mail order places.

But I have enquired about cheap bikes on their website a couple of times and on both occasions they said they were no longer in stock and they wouldn't be getting more at the same price.
Bensons

Post by Bensons »

Not sure Sweep - I failed to mention the scratch on the paintwork last night as I hadn't seen it, it arrived at dusk and I only have table lamps in the conservatory where it is currently residing. Have sent photos of everything received and the scratch to them and am awaiting their response.

I am not sure we are massively worried about the scratch, the bike had £500 off the rrp for last year's model in the colour we preferred
and if we had known about the scratch we would have bought it anyway.

Fingers crossed for a swift resolution but their attitude on the phone was lovely.

Blackbike - I knew it was in stock because I spoke to them, they only had one.
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

I bought a Kona bike from them a few years ago and it was exactly what I expected; to qualify that it was a bike in a box and so needed some assembly and the manufacturer would expect it to have a pre delivery inspection (PDI) carried out by a bike shop ("qualified person"??) prior to receipt by the customer in order to validate the warranty. I was perfectly content that I could safely build the bike and rectify anything the assemblers had failed to do so was happy to make the saving over purchasing from a proper bike shop.

The only other new bike I have bought in recent years was a Dawes Galaxy bought in a similar condition via Spa cycles. Spa, being a trustworthy and fairly professional supplier, pointed out the requirement for PDI by a bike shop (Winstanley's seem to be mostly concerned with shifting volume so don't bother to let on about that sort of thing; if indeed they are aware of it.) I was still happy, bought the bike and assembled it myself. I was significantly less happy with the quality of the Dawes; the wheels ran out by 5mm axial before they had been ridden! Despite this I corrected all Dawes' oversights and my wife has been very happy with her Galaxy.

Essentially the discounts they offer don't come for free but, if you are competent and confident to rectify build issues, they are worth having. As for missing parts, it sounds like Winstanleys are willing to supply anything necessary.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bought a folder from them at a massive discount about 3 years ago . Arrived the next day on free postage in unopened manufacturer's packaging though in perfect nick. Very pleased with price, product and service.
I suppose if you're getting a bike on mail order from someone who builds their own like Ribble, Planet X or Spa it's right to get cross if it's not set up right. It's different when it's a machine from a manufacturer - it's them who should get it right not the supplier. It's been said on here many times before - if you want a bike set up correctly and with a good PDI go to an LBS who will doubtless charge a higher price because of the value they add. If you're prepared to fettle it yourself then go for the lowest online price.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bensons

Post by Bensons »

I am not remotely competent - but my husband is thankfully and happy to build it, but not without the parts, well, he is actually as we probably have all the parts here in one shape or another, not really the point though. The bit box was a carrier bag with a 5" hole and lots of loose screws/bolts.

The cross bit is the lack of attention to detail - bits missing, big and small.

We know how much value a local bike shop adds - we have a fantastic one who are putting together a bike on a custom frame and making me some new wheels right now. But this is a tandem, for getting more miles out of our 9 year old, another bike where a bargain, and the work that comes with it is fine enough but I still expect a reasonable level of service and expect to get what I ordered.

The only other bikes we have ordered online have been my daughter's Ridgebacks of various sizes from Cycle Gear, they have always been checked/set up with the bars turned and the pedals off rather than this where nothing has been done at all so it isn't something we have experienced before and we didn't expect that.

Dawes guarantee on their webpage doesn't seem to require a PDI by a bike shop. My husband is more than capable of setting it up and adjusting it.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I bought my Kona Jake through them at end of 2009. After checking the much discounted price and various other things I placed the order, then discovered a trail of very negative reviews. Alarm bells rang and so I got in touch and raised my concerns about my order and whether I should cancel following the reviews I'd read. The girl I spoke to said they'd had some unfair reviews for various reasons and my order would arrive in A1 condition. Well it did, boxed as expected ready to assemble with all extras bagged securely. Perhaps I was lucky as I've read many bad reviews and have not returned to purchase due to those, even though my experience was fine. I wouldn't want to be messed about by a company, but buy on a credit card and you have some good backup when things go wrong. Well in my experience of my own card, even small transactions of £15 in dispute have been quickly resolved. I also purchased some handbuilt wheels in 2000 from Dave Hinde ( they're still going strong and true now ) and found a few years later a trail of awful customer experiences so I felt lucky there too. Shame as the wheels I have must have been well made.
One thing that does annoy me are companies on review sites with alternating bad review, good review...... i.e their staff go online to counter any negative reviews with false positives in order to keep their ratings in the middle. You can see the pattern plainly.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

I bought my bike from there and I had no complaints. That said, I went there in person as it's only the other side of the Pennines.
GarethF

Post by GarethF »

I've had odd bits and pieces from them over the last four or five years and always been satisfied. A couple of items this year- a Burley trailer and a bottle cage were out of stock when I ordered, and arrived in very good time, following a couple of helpful (if automated) emails to let me know how the order was progressing. The internet does seem to be a bit of a minefield, and on the whole I think there is a bit of reporting bias in the reviews available since it is said that a satisfied customer will tell no more than half a dozen people about their experience, while a disgruntled client will try to tell as many people as they can including broadcasting it worldwide.

I hope the OP enjoys the tandem when complete, plus the satisfaction of using those parts that were squirrelled away against this sort of situation.
G
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

In all fairness the bag with the small parts in may have torn in transit; you just have no idea how some courier firms handle 'your delicate parcel'; a burst bag could be your 'black box' that should flag up the possibility that your bike has been dropped or something.

Once a bag bursts inside a bike box, small parts can escape completely, eg through the 'handle holes' in the sides of the box. This is such a common problem that some bikes (eg Giants) are shipped with all the small parts packaged inside a small but robust cardboard box. If your bike was an ex-display machine or something, it would have had to be repackaged any which way they could do it.

Generally speaking I'd say that about 90% of 'remotely purchased bikes' will need much, much more than the minimum attention (wheel in, handlebars turned, pedals in etc) if it is to be fit for use without problems sooner or later. This is why your LBS will (usually) spend more time on it and ask you back for a check-up after a few weeks.

If you are lucky it is an hour's work, if you are unlucky it might be a lot more than that, especially with a tandem. Years ago I had a new tandem and I spent almost two days tearing it down and building it up again. You might argue that this was a waste of time but it certainly wasn't; I am certain that there would have been many problems that would have cropped up later had I not done that.

Whilst paying more for the same thing someplace else doesn't guarantee better service, it will usually increase the chances. Anytime you buy primarily on price, I guess that is the risk you take. At least they are showing willing to sort it out as best they can.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bensons

Post by Bensons »

The bag with the small parts was very tired before it went in the box Brucey, that is clear, as is the fact that this bike has been sat around a warehouse for a while with the thick layer of dust on it. I reckon that they scrambled around for the bits for the bike and couldn't find some/left some out. The small components weren't even in a bag inside the carrier bag. How long would it take someone to secure the bits in the box - not terribly long I think.

Sort me out as best they can? Are you joking? I just want what was advertised, what I paid for - nothing else. The Consumer Contracts Regulations seems to agree with me there. I bought a Dawes Twin, I expected a Dawes Twin, complete with all bits, I don't think that is too much to ask.

It is still a £1300 bike for an old year model. We have always bought older year models for our daughter, never had an issue with the fact that it is reduced equalling not getting what we paid for.

My husband is more than capable of doing everything our LBS do apart from making wheels - no problems with that at all.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Bensons wrote: ...Sort me out as best they can? Are you joking? I just want what was advertised, what I paid for - nothing else. The Consumer Contracts Regulations seems to agree with me there. I bought a Dawes Twin, I expected a Dawes Twin, complete with all bits, I don't think that is too much to ask. ...

I don't think anyone was suggesting otherwise.

It may be quite clear that the bike was packaged in a given way but in reality almost anything (and I mean almost anything) could have happened to it in transit. But regardless of their origins, in the event of such problems standards of response do 'vary considerably'.

I'm sure that the way these problems are resolved will be of interest to others.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~