Thorn Sherpa review after 25,000 miles

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
horizon

Re: Thorn Sherpa review after 25,000 miles

Post by horizon »

Thanks for sharing. I think the problem I have is that it isn't really possible to review a "Sherpa".

There are two things IMV that distinguish the "Sherpa" from other bikes: one is the frame and the other is the concept (of a 26" wheeled, low-geared steel tourer). Everything else is a consequence of either adding accessories or making choices at purchase point. Given that Thorn is famous for its level of customisation, the real review is a comparison of these choices (say, straight bars versus drops for example).

So we could say that this 26" wheeled, low-geared steel tourer is better than other 26" wheeled, low-geared steel tourers but that can only be a consequence of the frame as nothing else on the bike is unique to the Sherpa.

Alternatively we could say that the concept of a 26" wheeled, low-geared steel tourer is better than other concepts (for example, carbon 700c road bikes). But then other bikes will also fulfill this definition equally well.

So what we are left with is a review of bikewaser's Sherpa, the choices he made and how he got on with them on his trips. Now that is interesting, albeit not technically a review of the "Sherpa"!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I had a Nomad for ten years. Finding fast road 26" tyres was a problem rven in the 2000s and 26" is becoming niche now that most MTBs are "29ers" (700c). So I think it's an evolutionary dead end, despite the wheels being a little stronger.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've got a Panaracer Pasela 1.75" on the front of my 26" Dawes Sardar. They're still available. Personally I'm not losing any sleep over this but you are right, it does mean that 26" is over in any serious way. Shame because I like the handling of my Sardar, the way it fits on trains and the fact that it's a rugged bike (I would have a Sherpa if I didn't have the Sardar.)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
john.newell

Post by john.newell »

I was interested in the replies and agree with what has been said....

Do you think that the problem with 26inch tires is going to be one of dwindling choice rather than availability? The common, popular tires will continue to be available but not the spread that we enjoyed previously?
The Sherpa frame: Unless Thorn did something outrageous, do you think that there is convergence occurring with most main-stream manufacturers aiming at fulfilling a function? Thorn's production runs are probably very low compared to a mass-market bike model but the degree of refinement of modern frames is such that I would think that most production frames would fall in to category of good or very good.... it is precisely the other components that add flavour and variation but it would be hard to say (for me anyway) that one is a "better" bike than another.
Any gin drinkers out there? It is, basically, vodka (ethyl alcohol, I guess) with some flavourings and yet no-one can agree on what is the best....
Any bike that triumphs style over fashion is worth celebrating and I personally love the blend of art and science that is a bicycle. The Sherpa is a rather good example of it. IMHO of course :-)

As a Raven owner I would say that though wouldn't I?
john_n