Aldi Bike Stand (foldable workstand)

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
nngbarraclough

Aldi Bike Stand (foldable workstand)

Post by nngbarraclough »

Aldi are just about to have a cycle specialbuys. One thing that is excellent is their so-called Assembly Stand - these were called Foldable Workstands in the December/January Cycle magazine. They are also amazing value at £19.99. The cheapest in Cycle was £114.99. Check it out.
kylecycler

Re: Aldi Bike Stand (foldable workstand)

Post by kylecycler »

Link to the bike stand

https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-assembl ... 7507883600

All cycling specialbuys

https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/sp ... ccessories

Noticed the stuff further down the page (but not the bike stand) is 'DELAYED - COMING SOON' - like a lot of other stuff these days! :(
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Looks very similar to the one I bought about fifteen years ago from Aldi and which I'm using today, to assemble a TSR. They're good. The one change I can see is the addition of a fifth leg, which I imagine will add to the stabilty of the stand/cycle combo. Mine (the earleir vs,) has only four, which requires the user to keep an eye on the alignment of the bike to ensure its weight is optimal for the four legs. Five legs would make that job easier, if not make it actually unnecessary. At 19.99, its a steal!!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

When the bike is in the frame clamp then balances by gravity
Will the clamp at the end of the frame clamp tube actually grip enough to stop the bike spinning if you were to turn the bike to say view the bottom bracket
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've used the older vs. with 4 legs, extensively with Moulton TSR frames. Due to the shape and size of the frame's tubes, the situtation often arises that the bike I'm working on is at less than optimal weight distribution. I have to say that the stand and its sundry clamps have coped very well in the 15 or so years I've had it. I should also add that I tend to adopt a belt & braces approach so that the bike is often partially supported by a venorable old B&D Workmate. As I'm assembling a TSR at the mo', with this very setup in place, I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them here so you can see the strategy I adopt. Hope that helps.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Just dawned on me that my phone has a flash...
picture of bicycle frame in Aldi assembly stand
picture of bicycle frame in Aldi assembly stand
However it's about as much use as the proverbial black cat, in the coal shed - on a black night... hahahaha
S
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Eminently suitable for tripping over. I have a 4-legged Decathlon effort that deliberately sticks a foot out every time I walk past it.

Second best I've seen was a floor-to-ceiling screw jack with a double-ended swivelling clamp mounted halfway up. That was in my local LBS, and I occasionally kick myself for not snaffling one when they closed down. Best was my own system of wires & hooks hung from the workshop ceiling, with a couple of pulleys and paracord to fold it up out of the way. Unfortunately, the ceiling did not agree.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Audax67 wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 7:56am Best was my own system of wires & hooks hung from the workshop ceiling, with a couple of pulleys and paracord to fold it up out of the way. Unfortunately, the ceiling did not agree.
I'm sure others will remember, but Aldi and/or Lidl have had some sort of pulley system like that for sale in the past, at least something you suspended your bike from the ceiling with, although I was never clear if it could be used as a workstand as such (I suspect not, though).
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

simonineaston wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 4:06pm Looks very similar to the one I bought about fifteen years ago from Aldi and which I'm using today, to assemble a TSR. They're good. The one change I can see is the addition of a fifth leg, which I imagine will add to the stabilty of the stand/cycle combo. Mine (the earleir vs,) has only four, which requires the user to keep an eye on the alignment of the bike to ensure its weight is optimal for the four legs. Five legs would make that job easier, if not make it actually unnecessary. At 19.99, its a steal!!
I've had my 4-legger about 10 or 11 years.I paid £30 back then so £20 is an absolute bargain 8)
It does everything just as well as my mates £150 Park Tool stand :lol:
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Second last time I used mine (I'm ashamed to say - I've been a lazy sod lately) was in the winter. One of my pals showed up for a chat, it was getting colder and colder while I was talking to him, I was wearing wellies (I was washing and servicing the bike) and as we all know wellies aren't the warmest footwear - I was hopping from one leg to the other and jumping up and down trying to stay warm while I was talking to him but my feet were freezing.

After he eventually left I finished off, by which time it was almost dark. Took the bike down off the stand, took it into the flat, took everything else inside, then the last thing I'd to do was dismantle the stand... But it was seized up - frozen solid - nothing would fold down!

I'd to fill a bucket with hot water and pour it over the stand to thaw it out before I could fold it down and take it inside - it wouldn't have fitted through the front door otherwise - I tried! :)