optilabs prescription cycling glasses

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
richardyorkshire

optilabs prescription cycling glasses

Post by richardyorkshire »

Having just been to the opticians and found I was even more shortsighted than last time, I bought some new glasses. Then, armed with my new prescription, I also ordered a pair of cycling glasses from optilabs.

http://www.optilabs.com/site/prods.php?pfid=0,8,11,17

I originally ordered the Canyon frame. But Optilabs rang me because they didn't have lenses in my prescription wide enough to fit in those frames. This is because I am rather shortsighted (-5.5 in one eye, -6.25 in the other) and the lenses would start to get too thick as they approached the edge of the frame. She suggested a couple of different frames and I went for the Rapide ones in gun metal grey, with "reactions" lenses so they darken on bright days and are clear at night or on gloomy days. The glasses arrived in the post, securely packaged, the very next day.

They are excellent. The glasses are a wrap-around style. Very comfortable and no problem with the fit. The vision is pin sharp in all directions. The lenses and nice a big and give a good all round coverage perfect for cycling. The reactions lenses work perfectly, giving comfortable vision in all conditions. I am very happy with them. I'd even go so far as to say they look pretty damn cool. :wink:

So, in summary: excellent friendly service with prompt notice of any problems; speedy delivery; and an excellent product. I think the price is very reasonable. I can heartily recommend the glasses to other cyclists.
Wisest is he who knows that he knows nothing.
fossil

Re: optilabs prescription cycling glasses

Post by fossil »

good new's there

the only thing i don't like is you cant try first to see which style would suite best
richardyorkshire

Post by richardyorkshire »

Give Optilabs a ring. When I spoke to the lady on the phone, she said they would be quite happy to send frames out for me to try on if I wanted. Alternatively, she said, if I didn't like the glasses I could return them and they'd give me a full refund or I could go for a different frame. She said they did that as standard - although that isn't clear from their website.

I was happy for her just to send me the glasses and I love them, so no problem. But she was very friendly and helpful so it would be worth giving them a ring and see what they say.
Wisest is he who knows that he knows nothing.
Si

Post by Si »

they've just sent me a couple of pairs to try out, included in the package was a return address sticker and postage so you can try them for free!
fossil

Post by fossil »

crikey

i'll give them a go
thanx
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

Just wondering how you got on with the fit?
I had 2 pairs to try today ( rapide and serongetti ) and both pairs are touching my eyebrows/brow.
Anyone found a pair of perscription glasses for a neandathol brow?
Big T

Post by Big T »

I ordered a pair Of Scorch prescription sunglasses from Optilabs. They came after a couple of weeks. When I tried cycling in them, the image was so distorted I couldn't wear them. It's almost as if the prescription is too strong. I feel as if I'm riding a bike that's only a foot high.

I rang them and they said send them back. So I did, enclosing a paper copy of my prescription. They promptly returned the glasses with new lenses fitted. They are better than they were but they're still not right. So i'm going to have to send them back again.

It's not as though I have a complex prescription, -3.75 in one eye , -4.0 in the other.

So in terms of service - Yes , prompt delivery and back up service. But in terms getting it right first time(or even 2nd time) not good.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

I do get slight distortion at the periphery with mine, but as my optician said wraparounds were 'not feasible' with my prescription, I'm not complaining!
"42"
Neil Fat Man On A Bike

Post by Neil Fat Man On A Bike »

I've gone for Addidas from Vision Express.
They have inserts for the corrective vision so will still be useable if the perscription changes, simply get new inserts.
Not cheap, but they fitted. Not one pair of the Optilab fitted and Oakley didn't go up to my perscription.
jcheung22

Post by jcheung22 »

richardyorkshire wrote:Give Optilabs a ring. When I spoke to the lady on the phone, she said they would be quite happy to send frames out for me to try on if I wanted. Alternatively, she said, if I didn't like the glasses I could return them and they'd give me a full refund or I could go for a different frame. She said they did that as standard - although that isn't clear from their website.

I was happy for her just to send me the glasses and I love them, so no problem. But she was very friendly and helpful so it would be worth giving them a ring and see what they say.

Richardyorkshire - I was going to go for a pair of Optilabs specs called the Eclipse, which is quite wrap-around in style. I wondered if you had problems with the vision out of your specs? My main concern is that with my fairly high strength prescription (similar to yours), the lenses would be too physically close to the eyes, making the lenses too strong. Also I was worried about the severe wrap-around design would give distorted peripheral vision. Your experiences?
san0

Post by san0 »

I'm just about to try 3 from them, also they said they would give me 10% discount as a CTC member - bargain!
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Big T wrote: When I tried cycling in them, the image was so distorted I couldn't wear them. It's almost as if the prescription is too strong. I feel as if I'm riding a bike that's only a foot high.

To put a different perspective (pun intended :lol: ) on this. I had the same problem, which I duly queried with Optilabs. They suggested they could tweak the lens a bit, but if I perservered I would get used to it. Alternatively they offered my money back - to be fair to them. However I pereservered and solved the problem. Although they felt odd initially - complete with a foot high bike as Big T, after a couple of rides I got used to them and now, a couple of years on, I can't spot, or feel any difference. Even to the point of swapping them with my usual glasses. Funny how the brain and optic nerves work?

I'm more than happy with mine after that initial concern.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

When I wanted to get a pair from them I saw I needed the Pupil Distance Measurement and did not have this. The Opticians who sold me the glasses refused to tell me.
So I rang Optilabs and spoke to a man he said no problem send in an old pair I was happy with. They would get the measurements from these plus would then be able to correct for another height. The glasses are great fantastic vision set as the ones I was used to.
The only problem I had was the receipt I needed a proper typed up one to claim some money back and did not get one. Even after explaining twice.

I am now trying to get the wife to get some.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Edwards wrote:When I wanted to get a pair from them I saw I needed the Pupil Distance Measurement and did not have this. The Opticians who sold me the glasses refused to tell me.

Should have gone to Specsavers?! (Sorry! :roll ): I'm happy to report that in my case, my opticians - Specsavers - had no problem at all giving me this information, and even expressed interest in the glasses I was ordering from Optilabs.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

DavidT wrote:Should have gone to Specsavers?! (Sorry! :roll ):

I should have expected that one :lol:

The one I use now would like to become some sort of reseller for them. They were that impressed with mine.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar