Chain Reaction Cycles

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Audax67

Re: Chain Reaction Cycles

Post by Audax67 »

I needed a front canti cable hanger with adjuster screw: the only one going in the usual French outlets I use was 6€ + 7€ p+p. Since the adjuster's not essential I opted for one without the screw from CRC: 6.12 € inc. postage. It just arrived and blow me, it came with a screw.

Great people. But then of course they're from Norn Iron, it comes naturally.Image
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Bowland Rider

Post by Bowland Rider »

In July 2011 I bought my Surly LHT and in anticpation of hating the drop bars I bought flat bars, Shimano V brakes, levers and shifters from CRC fit to the Trucker. I unexpectedly bonded with the drops and after the parts had been languishing on a shelf in an unopened state for some 8 months I thought I'd test out CRC's 365 day returns policy.

Well would you believe it, they refunded the full price straight back into my account, i was expecting vouchers. Absolutely splendid customer service. :)
gaz

Post by gaz »

Ordered a new SRAM chain.

I remember reading during the order process
FREE OF CHARGE 1st class postage with NO signature required on delivery. Used for smaller packages that can usually fit through your letterbox. Orders usually arrive next working day, although sometimes delays can occur. No tracking information available.

No problem I thought, a chain will easily fit through the letterbox.

Arrived next day, postie had kindly left it on the doorstep. The super-size box they'd put it in had no chance of getting through the letterbox.

No harm done.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
wirral_cyclist

Re: Re: Chain Reaction Cycles

Post by wirral_cyclist »

gaz wrote:Ordered a new SRAM chain.

I remember reading during the order process
FREE OF CHARGE 1st class postage with NO signature required on delivery. Used for smaller packages that can usually fit through your letterbox. Orders usually arrive next working day, although sometimes delays can occur. No tracking information available.

No problem I thought, a chain will easily fit through the letterbox.

Arrived next day, postie had kindly left it on the doorstep. The super-size box they'd put it in had no chance of getting through the letterbox.

No harm done.

That'll be the numpty on the packing machine inputting chainSET not chain so the board roll was formed a tad too big :grin:

Sent from an Android by a human
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Is it just me or has CRC reduced its range of stock of late. It seems to me that they don't stock half as much as they used to. Lots of popular brands not covered at all. Similarly, I find their prices are slowly creeping up compared to elsewhere. CRC used to be much cheaper that Wiggle but now it seems to be the other way round for lots of ranges and almost anything can be had cheaper if you shop around.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
gaz

Post by gaz »

BB, pedals and bar tape ordered Friday arrived today.

Box was about the right size this time although it still wouldn't fit through the letterbox, no probs as I was in.

So 24 hours from bike in bits to bits on bike and bike on road, thank you CRC.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
RickH

Post by RickH »

gaz wrote:... it still wouldn't fit through the letterbox, no probs as I was in.

Looks like increasingly that won't matter
why are posties leaving more and more of those "Sorry you were out" cards than they used to?

It's down to the revisions again. The new methods demand adherence to a strict set of timings. Every step and every manoeuvre is timed and logged and processed through a computer. So an "attendance delivery" – when a postal worker has to knock on the door and wait for a response – was allowed exactly 57 seconds, no more, no less; and with more and more packages to deliver – up to 100 a day in some cases – many posties are feeling the pressure to cut corners and get everything done in as short a time as possible. Hence writing "Sorry you were out" cards before leaving the office.
(my bold) from Modernisation has put the snail in Royal Mail
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
bealer

Post by bealer »

Another excellent experience.

I've just bought over half a bike in parts from them. One part was out of stock for another 2 weeks. I dropped them an email, they told me exactly where I was in the queue for the part.

I decided to change my mind and go for a different headset, so sent them an email with an alternate headset I wanted. 1 hour late they had processed it, and it was being dispatched!

The site is still a bit clunky at time (especially compared to Wiggle). But their customer service and speed of deliver (and usually very cheap prices) means I keep going back.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Due mainly to my own stupidity ordered the wrong inner tubes. (20" are a minefield). I returned them via the new carrier system at no cost to myself. Couple of weeks later got an e-mail indicating a full refund no questions asked. Cannot complain. Good service.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I've found CRC to be fantastic, on scope of products offered, price and delivery. And was pleased when the cheap new freehub (Shimano RM40-8)for the townbike arrived in 24 hours :D

Until I opened it :shock:

It was black, rather than the silver finish promised in the sales blurb. It was missing the quick release skewer, which was shown both in the sales photograph and specifically mentioned in the sales text. And finally, I'm pretty sure it's second hand. There's clear signs of it having already been built into a hub at some stage, with a fair selection of battered marks. And the bearings are very rough, though I'm returning it without checking to see how far the bearing races are worn (Edit; I checked; the bearing races are worn)

Perhaps a dodgy member of staff or dodgy customer has substituted a returned product at some time. Hopefully the return process will be straightforward
lesz42

Post by lesz42 »

used crc a fair few times, only had one issue, that was sorted, unlike all my local lbs's, they have a lot in stock, my very closest lbs, did not have any chain lube, and said they could order it in for me, but would have to wait a week or more :roll:
Giles Pargiter

Post by Giles Pargiter »

I have used Chainreaction for quite a lot of parts over time. I find the speed of dispatch and delivery superb, I have on several occasions ordered parts early in the evening and received them, using their free postage, the next day.
On one occasion I ordered a part that I found I didn't then need. Using the forms that come with each order and having previously emailed them, I returned it free of charge and was promptly refunded - and this was no fault of theirs.
On another occasion, a ridiculous situation, in which I acquired a number of 1 metre lengths of outer brake cable occurred. I could not seem to get them to understand that; 2x1metre is just not the same as; 1x2metres, it was resolved by them sending me 2x2metres of outer cable and not wanting the rest returned. Turned out it was most likely a data base entry error. In addition they showered me with "freebies" by way of apology. Not only that but they must have looked at my order history because the things they sent me included items that I do use.
I do find they seem reluctant to stock so called "retro" parts. As an example - I heartily dislike Hollow tech, sealed for a very short life, high resistance ( I reckon they absorb at least 1000/th of a watt more energy from the seals alone) BB's and so use the older cup and square spindle type - for many years trouble free service. These they do not supply, so I use SJS for such parts.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I've always been pleased with the service from Chain Reaction, delivery is very quick. Last week I ordered a Park 'P' handled, 4mm Allen key. It arrived the day after I ordered it but in a box big enough to take a pair of shoes! A Jiffy bag would have done.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Returned an item six days ago, having finally decided three months after delivery, that I didn't want it.

Dropped it off for collection FOC at a shop across the road from work (Took a minute, no more). Tracked it's return to CRC Cycle, a process that took 3.5 days (I'd missed the collection and the weekend appeared). Had an email within 3-4 "working hours" of it's return and that a refund had been processed.

Refund took 48 hours to reappear on the credit card statement.

Overall, very happy and relieved :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I ordered a framebag yesterday at 1.30pm from CRC,free postage,I got an email at 4.0pm to tell me it had been dispatched,it arrived at 10.45am this morning.
Incredible :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden