Wiggle - The CTC Shop, How do we get 10% discount??

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
keithpoole

Re: Wiggle - The CTC Shop, How do we get 10% discount??

Post by keithpoole »

Mick F wrote:When you check out via CTC, it asks you for your membership number.

No it doesn't!
keithpoole

Post by keithpoole »

hugo67 wrote:My son calls me a BOF --and several other names beside that aren't nice! :

And I thought it was "Blown Our Fuses". Special 10% discount indeed! Rubbish! CTC look to Trades Description Act. Official comment please!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Keith, all I can say is:
It did when I used it!

I have some other things to buy, and I may go to CTC Shop/Wiggle, and I'll try again.

If you have any complaints, there's no point expecting any official reply on here, this is just a forum for like-minded people to air their ideas and comments and advice.

Get in touch with CTC via the CTC website.
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3851
Mick F. Cornwall
keithpoole

Post by keithpoole »

I was puzzled therefore, and did some experiments. Its the scientist in me (I wish he'd get out :oops: ). I see what I did the other day when I went on to order. I went in from the CTC site and tried to log in as I'd been a customer of an earlier manifestation of CTC shop. That didn't work so I re-registered.

To test just now with a fresh cleared browser, I set up a dummy account in the same way (coming in from the CTC site) to watch it carefully and when I went to check out it DID NOT ask for my CTC number and I did not get any discount (I chose a non-discounted item). Then, again with a fresh browser I also processed an order WITHOUT logging in, coming in from the CTC site and during check out this time, it of course asked me to set up an account which I did on the fly. Then it DID ask me for my CTC number.

With an account already set up, and logged in, everything works as described. Its just that first account set up, doing so before you order breaks the link with the CTC site.

As regards discounts though, its still a swizz. Nearly everything is already discounted and so you get the same price as anybody else. The only real point of checking your CTC number is so CTC get their cut. I mean, I don't mind that, I'll buy on price, and I'm glad to let CTC have their bit, but the publicity about the shop does smack of misrepresentation don't you think?

Well, I know what a forum is Mike, but CTC people do look in here nevertheless and pick up the vibes. In fact I'll mention it to my CTC Councillor when I see him on Wednesday.

See you up the road

Keith
ex CTC Councillor.

Mick F wrote:Keith, all I can say is:
It did when I used it!

I have some other things to buy, and I may go to CTC Shop/Wiggle, and I'll try again.

If you have any complaints, there's no point expecting any official reply on here, this is just a forum for like-minded people to air their ideas and comments and advice.

Get in touch with CTC via the CTC website.
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3851
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good info, but not the way it happened to me when I've used CTC Shop/Wiggle recently.

I've had an account with Wiggle for quite some years, and log in as me every time, and have been getting my CTC discount since Wiggle took over providing I go through CTC first.

As I say, it's been a few weeks since I last bought anything from them. I will try again soon, and get back to this thread.

The "discount" thing gets up my nose - to be honest. I mentioned it on a thread quite some time ago, and even made reference to the prices and costs involved. Search my posts, if you want to.

Suffice it to say, they give us discount when other non CTCers don't get it. We can't have discount on top of more discount - mores the pity! - but we get some discount nonetheless.

Wiggle isn't the cheapest shop on the 'net. I don't know about you, but I search about and cherry pick what I want. Sometimes Wiggle fits the bill, sometimes it doesn't. I like Ribble actually, the service isn't so good, but the prices are VERY keen, so if I need a Shipping Order, I'll check out Ribble first. If I need something quick, Wiggle seems to suit. Now that Wiggle is CTC Shop, even better, but the prices sometimes put me off.
Mick F. Cornwall
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

I bought a drinks bottle through the CTC shop last night. First time I'd tried it since they moved to Wiggle. Once I went to checkout I put in my Wiggle ID then it asked for my CTC number.

The price paid was less than the Wiggle discounted price (12% off instead of 10%) and free delivery. Pretty pleased with that.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Nice to hear, Mark.

It's the way I would expect it to happen.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just ordered one of these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Catey ... 360025761/

Note the 10% discount.

I went through CTC Shop to do the purchase:
http://www.ctcshop.org.uk/cycling/p/CTC ... 360025761/

Note the same price as Plain Wiggle.

When I put it in my basket, and went to check out, the website asked me for my CTC Membership Number, I inputted it, and the price came up as £26.39. I paid with my card, and logged out.

It's not much, but I'd rather have 60p in my pocket rather than in someone else's!

Basically, I don't know what Keithpoole is talking about. Perhaps he's doing it wrong?

keithpoole wrote:
Mick F wrote:When you check out via CTC, it asks you for your membership number.

No it doesn't!

keithpoole wrote:And I thought it was "Blown Our Fuses". Special 10% discount indeed! Rubbish! CTC look to Trades Description Act. Official comment please!

keithpoole wrote:I was puzzled therefore, and did some experiments. Its the scientist in me (I wish he'd get out :oops: ). I see what I did the other day when I went on to order. I went in from the CTC site and tried to log in as I'd been a customer of an earlier manifestation of CTC shop. That didn't work so I re-registered.

To test just now with a fresh cleared browser, I set up a dummy account in the same way (coming in from the CTC site) to watch it carefully and when I went to check out it DID NOT ask for my CTC number and I did not get any discount (I chose a non-discounted item). Then, again with a fresh browser I also processed an order WITHOUT logging in, coming in from the CTC site and during check out this time, it of course asked me to set up an account which I did on the fly. Then it DID ask me for my CTC number.

With an account already set up, and logged in, everything works as described. Its just that first account set up, doing so before you order breaks the link with the CTC site.

As regards discounts though, its still a swizz. Nearly everything is already discounted and so you get the same price as anybody else. The only real point of checking your CTC number is so CTC get their cut. I mean, I don't mind that, I'll buy on price, and I'm glad to let CTC have their bit, but the publicity about the shop does smack of misrepresentation don't you think?

Well, I know what a forum is Mike, but CTC people do look in here nevertheless and pick up the vibes. In fact I'll mention it to my CTC Councillor when I see him on Wednesday.

See you up the road

Keith
ex CTC Councillor.

Did you see him yesterday?
Any news?
Mick F. Cornwall
mark_w

Post by mark_w »

I quite like Wiggle, in some respects, and seeing they're the CTC store and being a member, I thought they were really good - ordered some new winter tights and top, and some chamois cream through them and they were delivered next day, with decent pricing, and a nice packet of sweets in the box to boot, which was a nice touch.

But a recent big purchase has ended up being a bit of a saga. After looking around at loads of bikes, I Ordered a shiny new Tifosi CK3 Sports bike a couple of weeks ago as my first new road bike for years, and a pair of Look Keo Sport Pedals. First it was in stock, then it sat showing 'Not Yet Processed' so I chased and they told me that it was being built, which is how it sat for a week, then they told me the Look Pedals were no longer available so I chose the carbon ones, and today I chased on the bike again (still shown as Not Yet Processed) to be told they no longer make the bike, they have no stock, and I'm going to have to wait to get a 2010 model and it won't be arriving until November.
--------
Blog : My Bike Rides