Waterproof Socks

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Si

Re: Waterproof Socks

Post by Si »

I'd been using the two socks and a plaki-bag method for years before getting the skinz. Found it works best if you make a couple of drainage holes in the bottom of the bags. However, I prefer the skinz as it's less faffing around to get them on and only one pair of socks to wash after.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

I've a question about the sizing of the Sealskinz. I'm going to buy a pair of the mid thermal merino waterproof socks to try out on my commute. The sizing table says M=up to size 8 and L=9 upwards. I have size 8 feet which are sometimes a small 9. Does anyone know whether they are a large fit or small? Which size of sock would you recommend? The M or L?

Thanks
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had the same questions, and I emailed St John Street Cycles. Sorry, no longer have the email nor can I remember!
Mick F. Cornwall
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I'm size 8 and went for medium. They are quite broad fitting as well.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Thanks for that. If they're quite broad I'll go for a medium.
Last edited by Colin63 on 12 Dec 2009, 9:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
thekelticfringe

Post by thekelticfringe »

Oh well - don't know if this will help you then, but I'm size 9 and took a large, which fit fine and are by no means too big. I think they shrink a bit when washed.
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I did still have the email!!!

Hi,

Small 3-5
Medium 6-8
Large 9-11
Extra Large 12-14

Regards

Dave

St John St Cycles
91-93 St John Street
Bridgwater
Somerset
TA6 5HX
Tel: 01278-441542 (Int ++44-1278-441542)
Fax: 01278 431107 (Int ++44-1278-431107)
Mick F. Cornwall
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

I got an e-mail too

Hi,

You would be better with a snug M as they need to fit close to be waterproof,

Hope this helps,

Regards

Dave

So there you go. Instructions on how to buy socks.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's where I went wrong!
I never asked for the instructions!

Maybe my feet are too small?
Mick F. Cornwall
toontra

Post by toontra »

Someone on another cycling forum has just suggested a seemingly good idea to get around the "water down the leg into the sock" problem - the use of a wetsuit ankle collar. After all, these guys should know a thing or two about waterproofing (you would think)!

I found these in the UK:

http://www.seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/Drysuit_Spare_Parts.html

Scroll down to the the latex ankle seals. I've ordered a pair of 36cm medium/large collars, which I hope will go under my legwarmers and then over the top of my Sealskinz and Northwave Celsius boots. I'll report back.
chrb

Post by chrb »

For most of the year apart from winter I cycle in sandals and carry Sealskinz socks just in case it gets too cold/wet/windy. They work well for this. I've stood in puddles and it was okay. They do get wet inside from sweat - breathable fabrics are good, but feet are the second sweatiest part of the body, and nothing is going to stop some perspiration gathering when they're warm. To dry the wet-from-sweat insides I just turn the socks inside out and hang them up (if there's no time I only dry the insides, since the outsides will dry while I cycle). They also get wet on the outside - just like goretex jackets, the outer lining can get wet, but water doesn't pass through it. I've never had a problem with rainwater running down my legs into the socks, though I also tend to take a short tea break rather than cycle in extreme rainfall, and also occasionally wear waterproof trousers. If you do think that is the problem, you could test the hypothesis by standing in the shower with the socks on and spraying your legs a bit.