RON SPENCER CYCLES WARRINGTON

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
cody1

RON SPENCER CYCLES WARRINGTON

Postby cody1 » 15 Dec 2009, 6:32pm

took a bike this afternoon to have a rounded brake bolt removed that i could not remove myself! i was charged £5 and it must off took all of 3 seconds, i reckon it works out at £6000 an hour!

Jack

Re: RON SPENCER CYCLES WARRINGTON RIP OFF OR WHAT!

Postby Jack » 15 Dec 2009, 6:41pm

But surely it was worth £5 to you.

Tandem Man

Postby Tandem Man » 15 Dec 2009, 6:56pm

Hmm.............a lot of businesses, in fact I would say most,not just bike shops,have a minimum charge for work,so it may take three seconds or five minutes it will still be £5.

Were you a regular customer of this establishment ?

I have had many little jobs,and not so little jobs at times,done free at places where I was a regular customer.Perhaps it may be to your advantage to cultivate an LBS who would then perhaps be willing to do the same.

To be honest,somtimes I would have gladly paid £100 to get me out of a scrape.

Ian
Ian From Wakefield

cody1

Postby cody1 » 15 Dec 2009, 7:04pm

no it was not my local bike shop, but if i owned a bike shop i would not have charged a penny, i would have been too embarrassed to say the least!

Tandem Man

Postby Tandem Man » 15 Dec 2009, 7:18pm

Well perhaps neither would I in the hope it would generate further business,but then again I am not a businessman.It may be the case that a mechanic has to be diverted from another job to sort out your problem and it would not be known it would only take seconds when you asked for it to be done,plus you may be the fifth person that day who just wanted " a little job done".

Have a look here:-

http://www.ellisbriggscycles.co.uk/workshop.php

You were lucky at £5,these charge £7.50

Ian
Ian From Wakefield

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 15 Dec 2009, 7:35pm

cody1 wrote:it must off took all of 3 seconds

blimey, you were quick in explaining what you needed, and paying for the work. :roll:

meic

Postby meic » 15 Dec 2009, 9:06pm

I know how you feel, £5 for a simple job.

However you are paying for a share of that shop being there to do the job.
They have to pay for premises, dealing with the Inland Revenue, the VAT man etc etc.
Also the man who did the job may just possibly have done some sort of unpaid apprenticeship to learn how to remove a nut in 3 seconds and not shear it off and spend a more expensive hour fixing that.

Personally I dont go near to LBS's for those reasons. I agree he has done himself no long term favours for the sake of an easy £5. However he has to pay the rent. There are two sides to the story.

I had 2 local bike shops.
One with a friendly owner who did nice little favours, gave away second hand bits etc etc.
The other charges heavily and is very discouraging of people who dont spend the BIG money. Unfortunately the first is out of business now. The second thrives.
Yma o Hyd

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 15 Dec 2009, 9:22pm

He could have told you to leave it with him when you returned an hour latter charged you £20 for the privilege and you would have been non the wiser. Bike shops are fighting for survival.

a few years ago I paid a chap to lay laminate floor. It costs about £100 pounds to fit. It took less than hour to do I felt hard done by. Until I thought about. It would have taken me at least 1 day and the finish would probably not have been as good. I didn't have the tools and his skill helped him to cut to size very quickly.

You couldn't undo the bolt your LBS had the tools and the skills to fix your problem easily why begrudge them a small donation to keep the mechanics in jobs. When these places close the likes of Wiggle Evans etc wont be able to do these little fixes.
NUKe

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 15 Dec 2009, 9:47pm

Another point that I don't think anybody has made is that once upon a time, local bike shops had all the trade because nobody else sold bikes. They might well have been able to do bits and pieces of small jobs as a favour as a part of the trade (although I'm not sure many did.) Nowadays, they have to put up with being showrooms and fitting rooms so that people can come it, try it out, try it on (in both senses) pick their brains, then off to the mail order or catalogue shop to buy. Anything wrong, can't be understood, doesn't work, needs fitting properly after delivery, broken or whatever, and it's round to the lbs for the favours doing.

I can't think of any other trade where people expect work to be done as "good will" when there isn't an existing long-term customer relationship. A few years ago I got off my bike outside the CAB in Batley where I was a volunteer advisor. I realised that one of the lenses in my specs was coming loose and I managed to catch it and the tiny screw. I was up a gum tree. I blundered into a nearby optician's where I was not a customer and in short order the optician broke off from an eye test and fixed it, including a dab of Loctite to prevent a repetition. As well as my profuse thanks, my offer to pay was met with the suggestion that I could put something in the charity box.

whoops

Postby whoops » 15 Dec 2009, 10:18pm

Like all businesses there has to be a minimum charge for any job undertaken. I had a 49D chainwheel removed yonks ago and that cost £3. I've been told it will cost at least £3 to remove a freewheel block. Incidentally, when I was employed, I didn't work for nothing either. Saying that I would love to be removing chainwheels at two a minute for £6 a minute all day long.
Whoops

Colin63

Postby Colin63 » 15 Dec 2009, 10:31pm

It is a nice thing when a local shop gives a discount or waives a charge, but I don't think we should expect it. I have two LBSs, one is a slick trendy shop run by very cool people and the other is managed by a former pro racing mechanic. The cool people want to sell mountain bikes and racing bikes to people with money to spend and aren't that concerned with repeat business, they attract people with their slick showroom. It's a very popular shop. The other (which is a part of a chain - Leisure Lakes) provides service for everyone else, and they treat their customers as valued visitors. The manager Colin will go out of his way to discuss the joys of cycling and strives to give good advice and value. Just recently I needed a specific nut. I went to Trendy shop and explained what I wanted, everyone looked bored but found a nut and then tried to charge me £8. I then went to Leisure Lakes and Colin overhearing my request dropped what he was doing and went off to look for a nut. He found one, looked up the price in a catalogue and decided it was too expensive and charged me £2.
Result: Repeat custom.
Two different business methods and I've made my choice where I'm going in future, but both seem to thrive.

£5 may seem a bit much for a small job that takes a few seconds, but what do you think is reasonable, and what price keeping a LBS afloat?

If someone had got me out of that pickle I'd happily have bought them a bottle of wine as payment which is about a fiver.

glueman

Postby glueman » 15 Dec 2009, 10:58pm

The BB of my wife's bike was stuck solid. I'd opened out one workshop spanner heaving on the thing so I took it too the shop. It made me feel much better when he used a much bigger adjustable, swung off the end and still couldn't make it budge. He put the frame in a tool in a vice and it came straight out with a strong twist. I think he charged £3.50.

As I don't have a workshop, bench or vice it was a bargain. If you want to know what expensive is try a dentist.

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 15 Dec 2009, 11:01pm

glueman wrote:If you want to know what expensive is try a dentist.

yep, and according to a friend of mine, divorce solicitors aren't cheap either.

i'd be interested to know what cody, the OP, does for a living :wink:

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 Dec 2009, 11:17pm

Five quid is nothing for doing something you can't do yourself,have a look what you can buy for a fiver,ie beans and egg on toast and cup of tea,in Starbucks two coffees.
I'm reminded of an aquaintence who was a signwriter/barge painter,he was approached by a chap who had rebuilt a Morris Minor 1000,said chap wanted a maroon coachline painting down the waistline on both sides of the green moggie to finish it(I had seen him do this in about 10minutes and to watch was an education).He duly did the job whilst the owner looked on then ask him for £20,the owner baulked at how long it had taken him.
The signwriter without a word got a rag soaked in solvent and took it off again! then simply said to the man do it yourself.
Just like an artist you're paying for what you can't do yourself!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

eltonioni

Postby eltonioni » 16 Dec 2009, 7:04am

The OP seems concerned enough about his fiver to have posted exactly the same message on three bike forums. Is there a LBS war going on in Warrington or summat?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... ff-or-what

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... 7FklVaKtuQ

I just paid a bloke £15 to go up a ladder and take down the sky dish and bracket. He wanted £35. A fiver seems very reasonable to get get somebody to do a job that you can't do yourself.