RON SPENCER CYCLES WARRINGTON

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
glueman

Re: RON SPENCER CYCLES WARRINGTON

Postby glueman » 17 Dec 2009, 10:50am

Some forums attract people who want to steer it in their own image and likeness and assume everyone shares their world view because, well, it's logical innit? If they gather a few people around to tell them what they want to hear you have a recipe for a very cosy, totally alienating message board.
If hell is other people, the seventh chamber is reserved for people who all agree they're alike!

Addict

Postby Addict » 17 Dec 2009, 11:44am

Most bike shops have a comprehenisve tool kit that cost's thousands - so they have to pay for it somehow. Snipping a cable may take a second or so but how much would a decent set of cutters set you back? About £20 or so.... If you are rarely going to use the tool it will often work out cheaper for a shop to do it quickly. Also the if you are charged you should get a guarantee - so if things do go wrong you will have a come back.

nosmo king

Postby nosmo king » 17 Dec 2009, 3:37pm

I remember using Ron Spencer's shop over 25 years ago when it was a tiny little shop near Central Station. To have grown as it has since then it must be doing something right

stevek

Postby stevek » 20 Dec 2009, 6:52pm

I have had an LBS do small jobs for nothing, which I found both welcome and at the same time a little embarrasing as you can't expect something for nothing.

I wonder how many free jobs a shop is expected to carry out in one day.

I bought the shop guys a couple of packets of choccy biscuits to say thank you.

Jonty

Postby Jonty » 26 Jan 2010, 6:04pm

I wouldn't get out of bed for £6k an hour!
jonty

GuyBoden

Postby GuyBoden » 24 Apr 2017, 11:55am

Sadly, Ron Spencer died in 2011 at aged 69, he ran his own bike shop and the local cycle club, I got my first proper road bike in the early 1980's from Ron, a Reynold's 531 frame with Shimano 600 components and a Turbo saddle, he was a gentleman.

He was national 12-hour champion in 1963 and second in the BBAR that year.

foxychick

Postby foxychick » 3 May 2017, 3:35pm

Yes ron died very sudden from heart failure he had only done a 90 mile bike ride two days before, he was a lovely man and his family who still run the shop are lovely too. Proper bike shop with a very good range of racing, mountain, hybrids, and childrens bikes. Also very good prices on repairs and a very good mechanic there as well.

100%JR

Postby 100%JR » 6 Jun 2017, 1:55am

My mates LBS.He buys most of his bikes/gear there.A bit pricier than the internet but he's used them for years.He literally lives across the road so Pops in almost daily for a cuppa and chat.

Gannet

Postby Gannet » 3 Jul 2017, 12:37pm

I used them for a recent purchase of a hybrid, very helpful and knowledgeable. I had a shortlist of bikes and he was recommended by another LBS for his Giant stock, the only place in the area that had one of my shortlist in that I cold try for size.

I would go there again

Fat tyre kicker

Postby Fat tyre kicker » 5 Jul 2017, 8:24am

Not been on here long....and I've thought before posting this,I visited Ron Spencer's about
20 + years ago with a handful of hard saved cash with a view to purchasing a set of Mavic
Dakar? Rims he had in stock, I'd saved for a while after viewing them previously only to be told
I was wasting my time fitting them to my, at the time Raleigh Atb as the rims were too good for the
Bike. I'm a large rider and have always been hard on running gear, the rest of the bike was upgraded
And the wheels were the final upgrade. Needless to say I left the shop and have never returned since,
I live Near Warrington and pass quite regularly but won't return. I use another shop less than a mile away
Or one in St Helens. Within my circle of cycling acquaintances, others have experienced similar snobbery.
Ron was a legend in local cycling circles and I wish his family's business every success, 20 odd years ago
They just weren't interested in anything that wasn't road based. My 2p worth. :?

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 1 Oct 2017, 7:24pm

I bought my bike from my LBS. I buy my bits and pieces from them (provided it is something they stock) and have them service my bike once a year. That's because there are jobs I haven't the tools or expertise for, and I value their judgement on what needs replacing and anything else that would be a good idea (different and new type of break block to replace a worn one last time) because they see dozens of bikes every week and I don't.

Bought a saddle there, they fitted it (in exactly the right place when I checked it) before I left the shop, voluntarily and without payment, when they were busy at the time- so busy I hadn't planned even to ask them to fit it. Sure I paid more for the saddle than if I'd bought it on line, but I reckon their support and advice and their willingness to fit things I buy is well worth every penny of the extra I spend.

I have known them do little jobs and not charge for non-regulars passing through the town who needed help with a problem, but you can't expect shops to do things for free as a matter of routine if you aren't a regular customer.

Gannet

Postby Gannet » 27 Jun 2018, 12:47pm

Now been back there and bought a road bike for the other half, they took loads of time to help and left it to us, we looked around a lot and then came back to them. They thanked us for coming back to them with our final selection and they fitted the bike at time of collection with some other tips for a novice road bike rider.

The staff in there now were probably still at school 20 years ago. its like there are cars yo would not have touched 20 years ago that are now seen as pretty good in comparison to the others on the market now - skoda, Seat, Hyundai, those cars that farmers tended to drive - Subaru. "0 years does seem a long time to hold a grudge for what they might have seen as good advise rather than snobbery but each to their own opinion